Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitches with Model 3 [discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to add tow hitch (Echo hitch) to my Model Y for bike rack or similar (not to haul the trailer so I don't need expensive wiring and Tesla towing mode).

Did any of you installed or heard of a good installer in Ontario, Canada (that knows how to deal with Teslas) for installing aftermarket tow hitch?

Also would the installation of such aftermarket hitch void the car manufacturer's warranty?

Please post

Thank you

Reactions: TRod
I am planning to add tow hitch (Echo hitch) to my Model Y for bike rack or similar (not to haul the trailer so I don't need expensive wiring and Tesla towing mode).

Did any of you installed or heard of a good installer in Ontario, Canada (that knows how to deal with Teslas) for installing aftermarket tow hitch?

Also would the installation of such aftermarket hitch void the car manufacturer's warranty?

Please post

Thank you
I too am looking to have the Echo Hitch installed but for my Model S, here in Chicago, Illinois. Is there a place here to do this install? Will Tesla service do the install?

I too am looking to have the Echo Hitch installed but for my Model S, here in Chicago, Illinois. Is there a place here to do this install? Will Tesla service do the install?
What I was told to go to echo hitch website and search their installers in your area. I asked Tesla if they can install just the hitch for bike carrier (not with wiring and to haul the trailer) and they don't do that, the only option is to get the whole package from them that costs $1,200+
Then I went back and forth with them to make sure if I install aftermarket part that warranty won't be voided, finally I got in writing that the warranty is not going to be voided unless it affected something else related to that installation.
Hope that helps.
Good luck!

Reactions: tdeno and TRod
What I was told to go to echo hitch website and search their installers in your area. I asked Tesla if they can install just the hitch for bike carrier (not with wiring and to haul the trailer) and they don't do that, the only option is to get the whole package from them that costs $1,200+
Then I went back and forth with them to make sure if I install aftermarket part that warranty won't be voided, finally I got in writing that the warranty is not going to be voided unless it affected something else related to that installation.
Hope that helps.
Good luck!
That helps a lot. Really appreciated it. I guess I better dance with Tesla too to make sure the warranty is not voided. Thank you

Reactions: Gadget63
I am having a hard time understanding why some people will pay 10,000 for self driving which may never happen, but complain about spending 1200 for a tesla approved trailer hitch and search for a cheaper after market brand

I've installed aftermarket hitches to three previous vehicles myself, but I hesitated on our Model S. I was scared off by reports of corrosion caused by the steel hitches contacting the aluminum body of the S. When ordering our Y, I decided to have the tow hitch factory installed as part of the order for $1,000, at least that's slightly cheaper than buying it after the car is delivered. Teslas don't have the best build quality and I had concerns about damaging clips or contact points while removing and reinstalling the bumper.

Reactions: Gadget63
I've installed aftermarket hitches to three previous vehicles myself, but I hesitated on our Model S. I was scared off by reports of corrosion caused by the steel hitches contacting the aluminum body of the S. When ordering our Y, I decided to have the tow hitch factory installed as part of the order for $1,000, at least that's slightly cheaper than buying it after the car is delivered. Teslas don't have the best build quality and I had concerns about damaging clips or contact points while removing and reinstalling the bumper.
I ordered my MY with the hitch and so far no regrets.

Reactions: tdeno and FatherTo1
I am having a hard time understanding why some people will pay 10,000 for self driving which may never happen, but complain about spending 1200 for a tesla approved trailer hitch and search for a cheaper after market brand
Because you can't install FSD aftermarket and an aftermarket trailer hitch which does the same job will save you over 1000 which you can spend elsewhere.

Reactions: Cobe and porschett
I looked into it: the Ecohitch is $315-350k. I've been quoted $400 and $650 for installation. I watched the eco hitch installation video and it's a major process, removing the whole rear bumper/side assembly and rear lights. I'm hesitant to do it with the final savings being $200-400 with the risk they mess something up in the process. So still thinking it over, but likely going with the Tesla install. We sort of have no choice as my wife has an e-bike and it's simply too heavy to put on a roof rack. Bugs me to spend this much just getting a hitch installed...I'm confident in the Ecohitch itself, just the installation scares me.
Just curious if anyone has an opinion on that - am I being too paranoid about possible issues with the install?

I ordered the factory hitch as I wanted everything covered by the warranty. I also wanted the trailer wiring and the software adjustments for if I tow. When I priced around here, the costs were similar to what you found. For me, the savings didn't justify the risk. Not saying there is a huge risk but one less thing to worry about to maybe save a few hundred on a 60k car.

Reactions: Vivelemond
I was looking into the aftermarket option as well before I ordered my Y. But noped right out of that idea after seeing how much disassembly / reassembly was required. For me, saving up to ~$700 after spending $50k on a car was like squeezing water out of a rock.

I applaud those who take a different route as that might lead to innovation future owners can benefit from.

I did it. It's a pain in the butt. The little magnetic hitch cover dohicky is nice.
Keep track of how you take things apart as the instructions are hard to reverse, and they do NOT tell you how to put the car back together.
by the end I felt pretty senile.

Got the car out of inventory or I would have ordered it with the hitch. Love having the hitch.
Couple of picture from my day. Broke the right lense off, had to epoxy it back on.

• Informative
Reactions: ockevin and alexcue
I did it. It's a pain in the butt. The little magnetic hitch cover dohicky is nice.
Keep track of how you take things apart as the instructions are hard to reverse, and they do NOT tell you how to put the car back together.

Got the car out of inventory or I would have ordered it with the hitch. Love having the hitch.
Couple of picture from my day. Broke the right lense off, had to epoxy it back on.

Nice work - looks really nice. Would you happen to have a link or the details on the bike rack?

Kudos to you! Looks like you did a great job. At the same time, I am SOOOoooo glad I made sure I ordered the hitch. Either that or farmed it out to the service center so they "own" any issues. I just don't have a lot of free time for these types of projects anymore.

Reactions: Tedkidd
Nice work - looks really nice. Would you happen to have a link or the details on the bike rack?
1up rack. I have all fat bike trays, which work for all my bikes (which vary from 2.0 to 4.5 tires).
2 basic racks:

One double on a 2" folding rack, and 2 singles that can attach to my 1 1/4 non-folding. The singles can also be easily added to the double to make a 3 or 4 bike carrier. I have a 1 1/4 to 2" adapter arriving tomorrow so I can use my non-folding rack on a 2" receiver.

So I basically have the ability to carry 1 and 2, 1 and 3, or 2 and 2 bikes on 2 cars at once, or 4 bikes on one car, if this makes any sense...

Reactions: tdeno