Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hitches with Model 3 [discussion]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Show me where vertical tongue weight is advertised at 350lbs on the stealth hitch. You can’t because they don’t advertise that number. They stick with 350/3500 for towing capacity and that is all. Hitching up a bike rack is NOT TOWING.

For context, Tesla Model X factory hitches are 120lbs vertical. And they are most akin in design to the stealth hitch.

So whatever. You do you. But what you’re doing is dangerous.

Hitch manufactures never spec vertical weight / torque or whatever you are trying to imply, They only spec tongue weight. You are saying there is a limit of "vertical load" but that value is irrelevant without a distance (torque). You understand you putting 100lbs 3 inches from the car vs 3 feet from the car the dynamics are dramatically different yet both have the exact same vertical load. You are coming back to the Tesla spacing 120 lb vertical, but the caveat is with their "approved rack". So if you match the size or be close you will be ok. They just don't want you to put a giant 4x rack with a large moment arm. Anything that is 2x bikes or less (or even a vertical rack) will all have very similar center of mass location.

Once again, the bolts are most likely grade 8 or above, solid steel plates welded together. All of these components can handle a huge amount of torsional load and not fail (this is the same design they use the larger SUV hitches with much larger ratings) The issue is with the automotive suspension and tires. What do you think will fail if you exceed your "vertical" mass spec. The car will sag a little in the back, maybe wallow a bit over big bumps. No worse than putting 250lbs of stuff in the trunk. What exactly is "Dangerous". Even if you exceeded your bike rack weight by 50lbs that is less than 1.5% of your total car weight. You are seriously convinced that 1.5% change in mass of the vehicle is dangerous?

I have a 100 gallon fuel tank + 150 Gallon water tank in the RV that are all behind the rear axle. When I fill with water and gas the difference in weight is ~2,200 lbs which is closer to 10% weight change. Very little difference before and after. I can tell it is heavier, but braking and handling are still very close to what they were before the weight was added. That is why I am confused on why you are claiming that slightly over the limits is going to endanger folks on the road.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Hitch manufactures never spec vertical weight / torque or whatever you are trying to imply, They only spec tongue weight. You are saying there is a limit of "vertical load" but that value is irrelevant without a distance (torque). You understand you putting 100lbs 3 inches from the car vs 3 feet from the car the dynamics are dramatically different yet both have the exact same vertical load. You are coming back to the Tesla spacing 120 lb vertical, but the caveat is with their "approved rack". So if you match the size or be close you will be ok. They just don't want you to put a giant 4x rack with a large moment arm. Anything that is 2x bikes or less will all have very similar center of mass location.

Once again, the bolts are most likely grade 8 or above, solid steel plates welded together. All of these components can handle a huge amount of torsional load and not fail (this is the same design they use the larger SUV hitches with much larger ratings) The issue is with the automotive suspension and tires. What do you think will fail if you exceed your "vertical" mass spec. The car will sag a little in the back, maybe wallow a bit over big bumps. No worse than putting 250lbs of stuff in the trunk. What exactly is "Dangerous". Even if you exceeded your bike rack weight by 50lbs that is less than 1.5% of your total car weight. You are seriously convinced that 1.5% change in mass of the vehicle is dangerous?
Again, you simply have no idea what you are talking about. You are conflating tongue weight, vertical tongue weight, and somehow cargo weight.

Tesla Model Y vertical hitch weight spec - 160lbs. In writing.

“The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 lbs. When carrying bicycles, skis or other items on the Model Y Hitch Rack, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded.”

Exceeding Vertical weight becomes increasingly dangerous when you have a design like the stealth hitch. Like I said, you do you. Have an equipment failure. I don’t care. But don’t pretend you know what you’re talking about or attempt to give anyone else this horrible advice.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Again, you simply have no idea what you are talking about. You are conflating tongue weight, vertical tongue weight, and somehow cargo weight.

Tesla Model Y vertical hitch weight spec - 160lbs. In writing.

“The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 lbs. When carrying bicycles, skis or other items on the Model Y Hitch Rack, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded.”

Exceeding Vertical weight becomes increasingly dangerous when you have a design like the stealth hitch. Like I said, you do you. Have an equipment failure. I don’t care. But don’t pretend you know what you’re talking about or attempt to give anyone else this horrible advice.
I give up. The stealth hitch design is identically to the model 3 hitch in Europe (look at the designs online). 6 bolts flat plate with vertical receiver and horizontal 2" square inserted into vertical receiver. Once again vertical weight is INCORRECT value. It has to be tied with a center of mass location to create a torque load.

So according to "exact quote in writing". I could put 160 lbs vertical load 5 feet back from the car and would meet your definition.

I also included the Tesla manual in a previous reply that states the vertical load + center of mass (but does not give a calculation of the center of mass location. So there is some margin in that definition. You are only reading part of the manual and leaving the most important portion out.

Also, you still did not answer the question. Does increases the mass of a hitch by 1.5% of the total car weight create a dangerous situation.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide