Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hook Camera Mount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that might be interested, I modeled a 3D printable part that fits in the eyelet of the tow hook so an action cam can be securely mounted. Some additional washers and a bolt are also required.

First, here's the link to the model on OnShape where you can download the STL file for your slicing software:
Onshape

Just right click on the STL tab at the bottom and select download.

Second, the list of part I bought:

1) Hex Bolt 1/4"-20 x 1" long
2) Small Washer 1/4" x 1 1/4" Qty: 2
3) Large Washer 1/2" x 2" Qty: 2
4) Camera to GoPro mount adapter

IMG_20190625_102257.jpg

So with few dollars in hardware and the printed part, here's what it looks like together:

IMG_20190624_170606.jpg

And with the GoPro mounted:

IMG_20190624_170702.jpg

I took this around the track at Calabogie and it stayed put, worked out really well.

You could try mounting the cam without the 3D printed part, but the 1/4" hole in the part prevents the assembly from sliding around the eyelet.

Any recommendations on a good editing program?
I have all the videos on my system, but GoPro likes to brake things up into these 8min clips. On top of that, the GoPro Quik software is awful. This is my coworker's camera so I don't have much experience with it.

I just tried to upload one 8min clip, but was told it was too big so I put it up on youtube so here's the link:

One thing I've found with the GoPro is it doesn't give a good sense of depth. I'm maybe a car's length away when I'm right behind people.

Something I forgot to mention, the reason I went with the tow hook mount was the car is wrapped and using a suction mount might damage that.

For those that might be interested, I modeled a 3D printable part that fits in the eyelet of the tow hook so an action cam can be securely mounted. Some additional washers and a bolt are also required.

First, here's the link to the model on OnShape where you can download the STL file for your slicing software:
Onshape

Just right click on the STL tab at the bottom and select download.

Second, the list of part I bought:

1) Hex Bolt 1/4"-20 x 1" long
2) Small Washer 1/4" x 1 1/4" Qty: 2
3) Large Washer 1/2" x 2" Qty: 2
4) Camera to GoPro mount adapter

View attachment 433988

So with few dollars in hardware and the printed part, here's what it looks like together:

View attachment 433989

And with the GoPro mounted:

View attachment 433990

I took this around the track at Calabogie and it stayed put, worked out really well.

You could try mounting the cam without the 3D printed part, but the 1/4" hole in the part prevents the assembly from sliding around the eyelet.

Very cool! I did something similar a few years ago for a 911 tow hook mount, but your solution is more simple and utilizes the existing tow hook. The perspective sample from your tow hook mount footage is very engaging, well done!

Reactions: Markardi
Any recommendations on a good editing program?
I have all the videos on my system, but GoPro likes to brake things up into these 8min clips.

Mac or Win or Linux?

If using a Mac your best bet is iMovie though if you want to just splice videos together Quicktime Player is capable of that by just dragging the videos to the window in the order you want them to play.

Great idea!

Here are my observations.

1. chose 1/2" longer machine screw
2. one lock-nut washer
3. double up on washers each side
4. two machine screw nuts (lock nut these 2 machine screw nuts against lock-nut washer)

For those of us without a 3D printer, anyone know of a way to get a piece like this made?

@OP are you taking orders?
While I have not yet ordered from them, 3DHubs.com is one of the companies that I have recently found when looking for places to 3D print the rear seat locks. They have quoted the lowest cost and offer instant quoting by simply uploading the .STL file(s).

For those of us without a 3D printer, anyone know of a way to get a piece like this made?

I agree with @RayK that with those without access to a 3D printer, 3DHubs.com is probably the best place to find someone local who will offer 3D print services.

That being said, with the CAD model in the link I provided, you can look at all the dimensions and if inclined, make one out of wood, plastic, metal, etc. When I've got some time, I'll do a drawing of the part to make it easier. It will appear as one of the bottom tabs.

As for taking orders, I'll look at what 3DHubs offers vs actual cost plus shipping from my location.

Thanks for this, it works wonderfully.

I just had the cap hanging for the one time I used it, but I noticed in your image that yours isn't visible. Did you just detach the frunk release wires and push them back in the opening?

Reactions: Markardi
@EW20 - Glad to hear you're happy with it. :)

Things may have changed in how that area is assembled as my wires were not attached! They were directly behind the cap so yes, I just moved them aside within the opening. If it is reasonably easy to detach the wires, I would do so as it seems like an easy way to lose the cap with it dangling around.

This is great, thanks for the details!

I have just implemented the above, I did not find any wires behind the cover at all.

Does anyone know if it is legal to drive around the streets in the UK using this tow bar and camera in place?