Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hook front license plate holder?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been able to find a front license plate holder that attaches to the tow hook? It'd be kinda like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Licen...pID=51ptScjYFeL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

s-l300.jpg

As much as I dislike the way the Model 3 looks with a front license plate, I plan on putting one on mine. I found The Law by EVANNEX but I find it rather pricey and would prefer something a little more to the side rather than centered.

Also, would there be any concerns with a side mounted plate blocking AutoPilot sensors?

I’d prefer something like this as well... just pop off tow hook cover and screw in.

I plan to have the front plate off 95% of the time. However there are instances when I need it on such as going to the airport or if I plan to park on downtown city streets. So I want a solution that is quickly on and off the car. The install for the one that mounts to the lower grill seems it might take 10 minutes too long and require tools.

The position of the plate looks adjustable in the bracket too... you can move it left or right up or down. I’d want to know if it affects autopilot functionality. Doesn’t look like it would of you keep it clear of the bumper sensors.

E75189A2-3368-4CEF-8FF9-E96A909375B8.jpeg AD62F027-B891-4498-BF9B-AF5F7414A8B4.jpeg

Cravenspeed.com makes them specifically for M3. I was looking for a front tow hook license holder and emailed them to see if they had one for the M3. They had a few made and were still in production. Not sure if they’re already being sold and shown on the website but if you email them directly, they’ll send you an invoice so you can order it. Hope this helps.

Has anyone been able to find a front license plate holder that attaches to the tow hook? It'd be kinda like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bumper-Licen...pID=51ptScjYFeL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

s-l300.jpg

As much as I dislike the way the Model 3 looks with a front license plate, I plan on putting one on mine. I found The Law by EVANNEX but I find it rather pricey and would prefer something a little more to the side rather than centered.

Also, would there be any concerns with a side mounted plate blocking AutoPilot sensors?

Last edited:
View attachment 310804 View attachment 310805

Cravenspeed.com makes them specifically for M3. I was looking for a front tow hook license holder and emailed them to see if they had one for the M3. They had a few made and were still in production. Not sure if they’re already being sold and shown on the website but if you email them directly, they’ll send you an invoice so you can order it. Hope this helps.

Nice, does it affect any sensors or autopilot? Gonna have to get this.

I like the concept, but I can't believe the price for what is inherently an incredibly simple design. I understand these folks have to recover R&D costs, but we're not talking about a complex item - its a double bracket or threaded post with a metal plate to hold the license. In the case of the tow hook mounts, there would be very few changes between one for a BMW, Tesla or any other car (post length and possibly thread diameter).

At least the M3 is an adhesive and not directly screwed into the front of the car (when they did that to my Cooper I almost punched the guy). Pandam3, have you looked at some of the remotely (or manually) retractable plate holders? Some are still pricey, but it would be more flexible in your situation.

The manual ones are $40 or so, but the nice ones are still north of $100. The bright side is you get to totally feel like James Bond.

I like the concept, but I can't believe the price for what is inherently an incredibly simple design. I understand these folks have to recover R&D costs, but we're not talking about a complex item - its a double bracket or threaded post with a metal plate to hold the license. In the case of the tow hook mounts, there would be very few changes between one for a BMW, Tesla or any other car (post length and possibly thread diameter).

At least the M3 is an adhesive and not directly screwed into the front of the car (when they did that to my Cooper I almost punched the guy). Pandam3, have you looked at some of the remotely (or manually) retractable plate holders? Some are still pricey, but it would be more flexible in your situation.

The manual ones are $40 or so, but the nice ones are still north of $100. The bright side is you get to totally feel like James Bond.
Cost seems reasonable on Amazon. Does it requiring drilling?

https://www.amazon.com/Show-Go-Lice...icense+plate+holder&psc=1&smid=A3H9IWQAWA4HAN

Has anyone installed this and dealt with the cover and frunk release wiring?
I have the Cravenspeed mount...
The tow-hook cover is easily removable and the new mount includes a velcro strap to hold the frunk wires in place. AFAIAK the wires are more secure with the Cravenspeed mount in place because tools are required to remove the mount rather than simply popping off the hook cover.
Cheers,
-Mark
licenseplate5.jpg