Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hook/Front license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of a Model S in Scottsdale. What a mess with all the deliveries they're trying to conclude before year's end. If you have a choice to have it done at home, do it. I was checking out the frunk when I noticed the tow hook just laying there. Does it have a more secure resting place?

Apparently, all Model S or X come with the front license plate holder on the car. Note Arizona cars do not have a front license plate. The service center refused to remove it saying it was illegal. Obvious BS, but when I tried to remove it at home I ran into a star bolt that would not fit any of my sae or metric sockets. Any thoughts on how to remove?

First - congrats on the purchase. When I picked up my 2019 in June of this year, the tow hook was also laying in the frunk. It doesn't seem to move around up there. Also, the SC refused to remove the license plate as they said it was factored into the crash test rating (must be a structural piece of plastic :) ).

They did say I can remove it myself which I am eventually going to do. There is a video on YouTube showing the removal process which includes three screws in front, two screws underneath, and a heat gun to soften the adhesive holding the backing plate.

The service center refused to remove it saying it was illegal.

That’s so odd. I’ve taken delivery of 4 Model S’s so far and each time I’ve asked the service dept if I could borrow that special socket for just 5 minutes. They’ve always obliged me. And I’ve never used the heat gun. Just slow steady pressure with my fingers has always taken it right off with no damage to the facia.

I wish it were so. Delivery person actually went to service to borrow the socket and was told, " We don't have it"
Just ordered a cheap set from Amazon and I will do it myself. My model 3 came with the license holder in the trunk.

I wish it were so. Delivery person actually went to service to borrow the socket and was told, " We don't have it"
Just ordered a cheap set from Amazon and I will do it myself. My model 3 came with the license holder in the trunk.

curved pliers is the way to go, easy to remove and doesn't require you to waste money on a useless socket that you will never use again.

Update: I gave up trying to find a 5 point tamper proof female socket to remove the 2 bolts on the underside of the license plate holder. I used a 90 degree needle nose and patience. Heat gun was required to remove the black mounting plate which is under the visible holder. I don't understand why Tesla puts their buyers through this when the Model 3 comes with the holder in the frunk.

Update: I gave up trying to find a 5 point tamper proof female socket to remove the 2 bolts on the underside of the license plate holder. I used a 90 degree needle nose and patience. Heat gun was required to remove the black mounting plate which is under the visible holder. I don't understand why Tesla puts their buyers through this when the Model 3 comes with the holder in the frunk.

As far as I remember, Tesla certified the car for crash safety with the license plate, it's needed for some sort of low speed impact test. So them removing it is in fact illegal.