Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow hook opening - strange wire contact

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

The first time I opened the tow hook port at the track, I saw two wire contacts floating.

Anybody know what this is for and it needs to be connected to something?

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• B85B2CDE-400C-4D18-BCCB-13F614F05383.jpeg
    B85B2CDE-400C-4D18-BCCB-13F614F05383.jpeg
    403.2 KB · Views: 387
Hi Guys,

The first time I opened the tow hook port at the track, I saw two wire contacts floating.

Anybody know what this is for and it needs to be connected to something?

Thanks
Steve

The online manual for the model 3 has details on this:

Opening Hood with No Power​

In the unlikely event that Model 3 has no low voltage power, you will be unable to open the front trunk using the touchscreen, key fob, or mobile app. To open the front trunk in this situation:
Note
The following steps do not open the front trunk if Model 3 is locked and has low voltage power.
closeup of front tow eye cover
  1. Locate an external low voltage power supply (such as a portable jump starter).
  2. Release the tow eye cover by pressing firmly on the top right perimeter of the cover until it pivots inward, then gently pulling the raised section toward you.
    Note
    Depending on production date, either the positive or negative terminal may be attached to the tow eye cover.
  3. Pull the two wires out of the tow eye opening to expose both terminals.
  4. Connect the low voltage power supply's red positive (+) cable to the red positive (+) terminal.
  5. Connect the low voltage power supply's black negative (-) cable to the black negative (-) terminal.
    Note
    Applying external low voltage power to these terminals only releases the hood latches. You cannot charge the low voltage battery using these terminals.
  6. Turn on the external power supply (refer to the manufacturer’s instructions). The hood latches are immediately released and you can now open the hood to access the front trunk area.
  7. Disconnect both cables, beginning with the black negative (-) cable.
  8. If pulling the vehicle onto a flatbed truck, do not replace the tow eye cover yet. If necessary, install the tow eye cover by inserting the wires into the tow eye opening and aligning the tow eye cover into position and snapping it into place.