Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hook Storage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S 60. When I took delivery last week, the orientation included showing me the tow hook in the frunk and then he put it in the trunk so it wouldn't "slide around." It still slides around back there. . .

My apologies if this has been asked before. . . But where are you guys putting the hook so it is better secured? Thanks in advance!

I put my hook in the charging accessory bag.. First I wrapped it in a towel so the sharp end would not damage the bag (or any thing else in the area). I zipped it (almost) closed. Could not fit the hook fully into the bag, but the hook cannot roll, being cinched and counterweighted by the bag. It resides in Frunk

The hook side of velcro attaches nicely to the carpet. A couple of strips holds it firmly in the trunk in an out of the way area.

I like your suggestion. One concern:
On my refresh MS, there's a spring-latch door behind a hole for the tow hook socket. I'd suggest making sure that any Velcro on the shaft doesn't interfere with insertion (no dirty thoughts please).

This came with my 2016 X Dec Delivery

IMG_1212.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 242
  • Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
I like your suggestion. One concern:
On my refresh MS, there's a spring-latch door behind a hole for the tow hook socket. I'd suggest making sure that any Velcro on the shaft doesn't interfere with insertion (no dirty thoughts please).

Applying hook-side velcro to one side of the tow hook might be the best idea yet. It'll be ugly has can be if/when the hook has to actually be used, but meanwhile, it'll be stable and in place in either the frunk or trunk. I think the carpets are the same in both?

This came with my 2016 X Dec Delivery

View attachment 219326

Thank you for posting these images. Our DS never touched on this oversized needle-like object lying loosely in the trunk.

Perhaps he thought we knew what it was and how we should secure it since he admitted we knew more about the features of the car than he did. I'm not gloating over our apparent knowledge of the vehicle at that time, however a number of Tesla associates at two different storefronts as well at their primary customer service mentioned the same as our DS, in that we knew more. Seemed odd to me. I mean, that's their job, to know their cars inside and out.

We took delivery forgetting about this loose chunk of metal on the main floor of the trunk (can see it through the window) until we arrived home. It has been sitting in our house ever since because I have not taken the time to research how to properly secure it in the car.

I opened the round Tesla cable bag this morning and thought, that elastic portion in the center of the rear-zippered area must be for the Tesla pen they gave me at delivery. Hmm. I must have overlooked this tow paragraph in the owner's manual.

Glad we have this forum to help with these things. Thank you everyone!

Still not sure where it is suppossed to attach in the event the vehicle needs to be towed.

Update: My tow rod does not fit in the bag. It appears to be at least an inch too long. Perhaps this one belongs to an X? Or maybe my cable bag is too small? Fit and finish issues apparenty carry over to this as well. I'll check in with Tesla and provide another update.

Update: My tow rod does not fit in the bag. It appears to be at least an inch too long. Perhaps this one belongs to an X? Or maybe my cable bag is too small? Fit and finish issues apparenty carry over to this as well. I'll check in with Tesla and provide another update.
Looks like the tow hook for the current Model S is longer than the one for pre-refresh models by a couple inches. Makes sense since the threaded mounting point/hole on the new cars seems to be deeper than the old mounting hole behind the removable nose cone.

I have a pre-refresh 70D (Dec 2015). I've been meaning to take my tow hook out from the molded recessed slot in the frunk plastic bin and instead put it in my UMC bag... so I did so today and took a few photos for comparison to your newer tow hook.

As someone mentioned above the hook on the older MS is stowed under the frunk carpet liner; you just need to first lift out the rubber seal around the frunk opening to be able to lift the carpet

here's the older tow hook in it's recessed slot, with frunk carpet removed. you can see this version tow hook is only about 12" long:

IMG_5953.JPG

fyi for reference here's the part number of this version of tow hook:

IMG_5955.JPG

and finally here's the tow hook stored in the UMC bag:

IMG_5957.JPG

Yes, the new late 2016's tow hook is too long for the bag.

For the use of the velcro (hook and loop) to keep it from moving around no velcro has to be applied to the tow hook at all. Use a couple of strips of the hook side to hold down the tow hook. The carpet acts as the loop part for a strong hold. Don't use the peel and stick variety just the sew on type.

Looks like the tow hook for the current Model S is longer than the one for pre-refresh models by a couple inches.

Thank you for the photos in your post f-stop.

I spoke to the local Tesla service center on Saturday about my observations with the tow hook. After researching the issue, they confirmed that there is indeed no method to secure the tow hook in the refreshed Model S. They thanked me for pointing this out and that was it.

I let them know that I would likely have to get creative and modify something in order to prevent the tow hook from shifting around during travel. They agreed. Wonderful. I'll call Tesla in CA to see if there are alternative solutions.

This morning I reached out to Tesla's CA customer service regarding the inability to secure the tow hook in the redesigned Model S.

After a breif hold to research the problem, Tesla came back and suggested to store it in the left trunk well. Unfortunately this area opens up to the bottom portion of the truck where it will slide around. Tesla: "At least the tow hook would be out of the way and you wouldn't be able to see it." I am not aware of the flap of the main truck floor being anything other than an unsecured carpeted flap. Make one bad move or take a serious bump in the road and your rear window may receive an unattended alteration courteous of said tow hook. In the event of an accident, while the airbags save the front and side of your face, the hook could find its way into the back of your noggin.

Tesla hopes to be addressing this issue by possibly offering a larger accessory bag in the future where the tow hook would be at least somewhat secured.

Until then, happy driving with this 5 pound metal spike sliding around your car. For me, it's staying in the house until Tesla provides a method to secure it in the vehicle.

Am I overthinking this? Maybe. However not having at least one option to keep the hook secured or at least enclosed in a padded bag seems like an oversight.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tezzie and David29