Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Hook Storage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use a big magnet and stick it to something metal that's out of the way, if you can find something that's not aluminum ... dunno?

or

Strap it the rear trunk by using a couple big velcro straps wrapped around one of the pillar thingies (either side of lower trunk space), so as the hook is underneath the pillar thingy. Out of sight out of mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tezzie
I have a 2017 Model S 60. When I took delivery last week, the orientation included showing me the tow hook in the frunk and then he put it in the trunk so it wouldn't "slide around." It still slides around back there. . .

My apologies if this has been asked before. . . But where are you guys putting the hook so it is better secured? Thanks in advance!

Just took delivery of my 2018 which replaces my 2014. The old 2014 had a place to store the tow hook under the carpet in the frunk. There is still no place to store the thing in a $120k car. Simply amazing.

My Pantera did not have a good way to tow it. When the ignition lock broke I called a tow truck and explained the situation. They sent a tilt flat bed that slid right up to the front wheels, put straps through the wheels and drug the car up the ramp. Tires skidding all the way. No harm done to the car and very fast.

My Tesla tow hook lives in my garage with my spare tires. The only adapter I carry is the J1772 which is very light. Maybe you have a case where you need the tow hook, maybe not.

Sheesh! I was wondering what this was! I found it loose in the frunk of my new 2018 Model S 100D. Is it true there's no place carved out to stow it?

Attachments

• IMG_9478.JPG
    IMG_9478.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 135
Thank you for posting these images. Our DS never touched on this oversized needle-like object lying loosely in the trunk.

Perhaps he thought we knew what it was and how we should secure it since he admitted we knew more about the features of the car than he did. I'm not gloating over our apparent knowledge of the vehicle at that time, however a number of Tesla associates at two different storefronts as well at their primary customer service mentioned the same as our DS, in that we knew more. Seemed odd to me. I mean, that's their job, to know their cars inside and out.

We took delivery forgetting about this loose chunk of metal on the main floor of the trunk (can see it through the window) until we arrived home. It has been sitting in our house ever since because I have not taken the time to research how to properly secure it in the car.

I opened the round Tesla cable bag this morning and thought, that elastic portion in the center of the rear-zippered area must be for the Tesla pen they gave me at delivery. Hmm. I must have overlooked this tow paragraph in the owner's manual.

Glad we have this forum to help with these things. Thank you everyone!

Still not sure where it is suppossed to attach in the event the vehicle needs to be towed.
You got a Tesla Pen? All I got was a paper manual in the glove box written in French! :)

Wow, talk about 1st world problems, is there a level that's even more trivial than that? How about wrap it in a towel and put it in the rear trunk side area? Or throw it in the frunk with your emergency flat repair kit? Or get a rectangular storage box that fits in the lower trunk well, and put it in there with other supplies?

• Funny
Wow, talk about 1st world problems, is there a level that's even more trivial than that? How about wrap it in a towel and put it in the rear trunk side area? Or throw it in the frunk with your emergency flat repair kit? Or get a rectangular storage box that fits in the lower trunk well, and put it in there with other supplies?

@docbrown--every Tesla issue is a first world problem, isn't it?

• Funny
Reactions: SDRick