Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Mode - No Tow Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... I towed a trailer today with my Model X.

On the main screen, it said it detected a heavy load and was activating tow mode.

On the IC, it said Trailer Detected Vehicle not equipped with a tow package.

I know that technically I don't have the tow package, but the main screen said it was activating tow mode, and my little trailer icon went from green to blue, indicating tow mode.

So is the car in tow mode and just complaining because it doesn't have the software switch enabled, yet is still performing the towing functions? My AP was disabled, and I assume everything else related to tow mode was enabled/disabled, but I have no way to check?

Do I need to see if I can convince the SC to enable tow mode, which I'm sure they'll charge me for, or should I just ignore the message. This is my first time towing with the Tesla. I'm towing a pop-up trailer weighing about 2600 lbs with a 250ish lb tongue weight on 20" tires. So well within the specs of towing.

Including picture.

IMG_20190328_175702.jpg

So if I'm reading this correctly :
1. Your X came with a towbar, but without the full tow package.
2. You bought or borrowed the hitch receiver.
3. When you towed you got the message on screen.
4. You called the SC and they enabled the Tow package in the software.

If all that's correct, did they charge you to enable the Tow package? Did you call a local SC or just Tesla national?

ARMARM would you give details about your Tow Package install? I'm buying a 2016 MX right now (having it delivered). It has no Tow Package but I'd like to get one installed later. Did you go to Tesla to install it or another business aftermarket? How much did it cost if I may ask?

Had a similar experience. My 2017 X was delivered with a tow hitch and plugs. It was not ordered or paid for, but came on the car anyways.

Hitched up a trailer and got the same message as you. I had the hardware, but no software.

Took it to the service center for something else, and mentioned it. They saw what was going on, and decided to turn on the software for me.

Have towed a couple things since, and everything now works great.

The tow package adds a tremendous amount of utility to the Model X. You can tow a trailer, carry some bikes, use a package carrier etc.

ARMARM would you give details about your Tow Package install? I'm buying a 2016 MX right now (having it delivered). It has no Tow Package but I'd like to get one installed later. Did you go to Tesla to install it or another business aftermarket? How much did it cost if I may ask?

I had mine installed by Tesla at my local service centre.
The cost was $715 AUD, but I'm in Australia and our X's use the European hitch setup (No receiver)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 6.14.22 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 6.14.22 am.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 419
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jjmboni
Got this from a Mobile Service:
So I got a better answer for ya. The trailer mode turns on that plug in the back. The one you were thinking could be trailer wiring. It is that exactly. (I sent him a picture)
Also trailer mode will adjust the rear suspension and mostly turn off the rear park sensors so when you back up it dosent see the trailer. Car should operate normally without the software as long as you have the trailer lights ran off other wires.
But best solution would to be get the Tesla wiring harness and change the configuration of the vehicle.