Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow more than 5,000 lbs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Tesla announced the Model X would have a Class III hitch I got excited. I remember a Tesla exec saying the tow rating might be 10,000 lbs in an interview (which is the max rating for any Class III hitch).

The 5,000 lbs rating is probably the lowest rating in the mid to full size uxury SUV class. Competing Range Rover Sport, X5, Cayenne, GL etc. models are rated anywhere from 6,000 to 8,000 pounds.

Is the lower rating on the X just for range purposes? Would the vehicle sustain damage by towing a 7,000 boat for a short period of time at 30-40 MPH? Has anyone exceeded the towing capacity safely?

If you think Tesla may try to void a part of your warranty by responding that you tow outside of recommendations, you might want to create a more anonymous account!

I'm pretty sure the car can take a lot more without real problems.

I'm not terribly confident in the hitch, however. Tongue weight pulls directly on the locking ball bearings of the Bosal insert, and all the starting/stopping loads are bending loads on the insert.

If I was serious about towing heavy loads routinely with an X, I'd probably start by installing a stronger permanent hitch with weight distributing capability.