Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Package - Hitch Carrier Weight Rating - is it really 120lb or 500lbs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i have seen multiple opinions on the vertical weight the tow hitch can carry. In the official towing specs it says 500lbs is maximum tongue weight or downward force. Then in other parts of manual it states that 120lbs is max for "accessory hitch". I'm wondering if that is referring to the smaller accessory hitch they used to ship instead of full blown tow package?

Reason i ask is that i was going to buy the x-rack carrier ~20lbs and use it to transport an 15 hp outboard engine which weights about 125 lbs. This was no problem for my old Tahoe but now i'm concerned that I overlooked some key specs before buying the X. Surely if the tow hitch can handle 5000 lb boat/trailer and 500lbs of tongue weight, a 150 lbs off the back would be ok?

Find it odd the limit would be so low as that would hardly support a couple bikes or skiis.

Attachments

• upload_2020-12-2_14-55-5.png
    upload_2020-12-2_14-55-5.png
    344.6 KB · Views: 130
Thx had a look and it does appear 120lb is the limit. I guess I was hoping for a better answer. I am so close to the limit - wonder if I should just go ahead and take it easy. I also wonder if using a carrier that has short shaft and keeping weight as close as possible to hitch would make difference. I get further out the weight is, the more stress.

gonna suck otherwise putting the outboard engine in the back although doable.

The minimum recommended tongue weight for a 5000lb trailer is 9% !!! That’s almost 500lbs !!! And as high as 15%

120lbs is not enough tongue weight to safely tow 5000lbs. Not even close.

Oops. Sorry, misread opening post.

120 lbs might not be what the “hitch” sees for those hitch carriers due to torque. Probably depends on where the load is and how far out the carrier extends.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Thx had a look and it does appear 120lb is the limit. I guess I was hoping for a better answer. I am so close to the limit - wonder if I should just go ahead and take it easy. I also wonder if using a carrier that has short shaft and keeping weight as close as possible to hitch would make difference. I get further out the weight is, the more stress.

gonna suck otherwise putting the outboard engine in the back although doable.
The answer is yes if you reduce the moment arm by keeping the load on the bike rack close to the hitch it will reduce the torque on the bosal hitch.