Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow package now available post-delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that did not order the tow package on the original order, it is not available in the Tesla store. It is $1200 and is shipped to a Service Center and installed. Just ordered it for ours. We'll see how long it takes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the headsup. Just ordered the tow hitch. I would have added it on the original build if 1. it existed when I ordered (on 3/17/19) or 2. they didn't scrap the early pricing when adding options (other than FSD), Seems like a lot more work now that the car is assembled but at least it has the wiring harness.

Reactions: mazers
For those that did not order the tow package on the original order, it is not available in the Tesla store. It is $1200 and is shipped to a Service Center and installed. Just ordered it for ours. We'll see how long it takes.

So... Update? How long did it take? Review?

I ordered the tow package after delivery on 7/20/2020 and have not heard anything. I ordered the Homelink add-on on the same order and that has been delivered and installed, but no communication about the tow package.

I ordered the tow package after delivery on 7/20/2020 and have not heard anything. I ordered the Homelink add-on on the same order and that has been delivered and installed, but no communication about the tow package.

I did something similar to you....I decided based on what I had read across the forum to go ahead and schedule the install for the hitch and homelink at once, plus some small delivery items. Included my order number etc. It was originally a mobile service but then they reviewed the service request and moved it to the service center a month out (Aug 25th) from my first appointment. So you may just want to schedule it and go from there. They were nice enough to give me an earlier appt for the Homelink install so that is already done. My order status still shows en route to service center for what its worth. Hope this helps.

Reactions: THE MacDaddy

Tow hitch package installed 2 weeks ago, along with new mirrors (warranty issue). Took a few hours but looks like they did a good job. I ordered the Y hitch cover removal tools from Living Tesla after seeing how easy they make removing the cover. I had to wait a couple of days until they showed up, then used them to remove the cover. Hitch looks great and so does the electric hookup. They also installed, or activated software as when I go to shift to drive when starting out, I can see a little blue trailer light that shows up for a second or two on the display. Have not hooked anything up to it yet though.

Reactions: THE MacDaddy
Tow package doesn't seem like such a bad deal to me. It includes the hitch, wiring harness, install, and software. Also, I think there is value in an OEM solution both in terms of warranty protection and resale value.

I'd be curious to know if Tesla would enable the towing software for aftermarket installs. I'd hope so.

Reactions: mazers