Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow package psych

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i own 2 MX’s. We purchased the tow package on both. I tow a small trailer with one a couple times a week but today I needed to use the other X as my wife was using my regular X I use to tow. I remove the cover like I always do and went to install hitch and was shocked to discover there is no tow package installed. We received the receiver on both our X’s but I never thought I needed to check to make sure tow package was installed at delivery. Has anyone else had this problem?

I will attach pic:)

Attachments

• D88B5ABA-E066-4FC7-A4B4-F5E0BCC4940D.jpeg
    D88B5ABA-E066-4FC7-A4B4-F5E0BCC4940D.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 377
i own 2 MX’s. We purchased the tow package on both. I tow a small trailer with one a couple times a week but today I needed to use the other X as my wife was using my regular X I use to tow. I remove the cover like I always do and went to install hitch and was shocked to discover there is no tow package installed. We received the receiver on both our X’s but I never thought I needed to check to make sure tow package was installed at delivery. Has anyone else had this problem?

I will attach pic:)
Doh ... I know they were short on this part for a while. Looks like it got left off your post-purchase todo list (drawing a blank on the name). The X I bought in Dec didn't have the hitch but they added it in Jan and all the wiring was in place (electric brake and 7 pin trailer plug). I'm sure they will just add it on when you show them your invoice.

Reactions: Lbkmxp100d
Yup, same here, was supposed to be included in 2017 100D delivered in September and we did not receive the "receiver" and when I checked under the cover, no hitch at all. Parts have been on order for months now, and just promised the end of Feb. Will see.

request a refund and get this installed 2017 Tesla Model X Trailer Hitch - Draw-Tite

Ah, no.

This is VERY much a "not a good idea" based upon this person's rather thorough write up (and terrible) experience with a non-Tesla hitch. While I hate to paint with a broad brush, we can probably assume that the hitch above will do similar damage to a Model X as I do not see references to protection from dissimilar metal corrosion.

This is a very big deal:

Tesla Model S hitch by Torklift (3 year update): Eaten alive

It's hard to write this, but the Model S owner above got lucky when he was rear-ended. Had this problem not be caught when it was, he would have had major structural damage to his Model S, and a huge claim against Ecohitch, within another few years. While I like to think Ecohitch would step up and pay the five-figures it would likely cost to rebuild his Model S, and provide a loaner MS for the months that would take, it is far more likely that a lawsuit would have been required. Who wants that out-of-state legal nightmare?

**Ecohitch needs to immediately recall every Tesla Model S hitch they've ever sold, inspect and repair any damaged cars, and they should have done so when they were first aware of the problem their hitch has created. But they appear to be unwilling to do so as I've not heard of any such recall.**

I can easily see a case in which they might become criminally liable for deaths or injuries in a worst case scenario: in 2019 or 2020 a 3rd-row equipped Model S is rear ended, and children are maimed or killed as the rear structure collapses (because it was seriously compromised with galvanic corrosion by the Ecohitch).

If any lawyers are reading this, please consider sending Ecohitch a letter advising them of their legal, and moral, obligations now that they were made aware of their design defect. Making a mistake (bad design in not ensuring physical separation of dissimilar metal) is one thing, but knowing of the consequences and doing nothing is something else entirely.

Responsible companies carry insurance for this sort of mistake. It's time for Ecohitch to make a claim with their insurance carrier as this recall will cost a lot of money, but THEY HAVE NO CHOICE.

p.s. Below is my submission to the NHTSA this morning (via SaferCar.gov). I strongly encourage Model S owners that have an Ecohitch installed, and live in a corrosion-conducive environment, to have their cars inspected and corrected, especially if you have the 3rd Row seating option.

Please forward any photographs to the NHTSA (or EU/Canadian equivalent) ASAP, along with Tesla itself. Even though this Ecohitch corrosion is not Tesla's fault, the reality is that they will see many of these cars and probably have a moral obligation to take a peek (and poke) every time an Ecohitch-equipped Model S is on the lift for something else . . . .

Torklift Central sells an "Ecohitch" for the Tesla Model S. Unfortunately, they failed to account for the aluminum body--and their hitch is made of steel.

Galvanic corrosion is powerful and destroys the strength of the body. The post below shows the damage done by an Ecohitch in under 3 years:

Torklift Central's later reply, dated Dec 19, 2017, is a major problem. They acknowledge the problem, claim that other Teslas have corrosion problems, and that this is, basically, not a big deal.

Worse, they also wrote this:

"This week we will have a simple kit and installation instructions for insulation pads - similar to what you have installed on your Tesla Model S. We are going to include this kit in all Tesla kits moving forward, as well as contact customers who have recently purchased."

Note the key words, "moving forward" and "recently."

This is a gross violation of their obligation to initiate a full recall of EVERY unit they have shipped, in addition to ensuring an inspection of every Tesla body to which their Ecohitch was attached.

I request that your ODI immediately contact the firm and advise them of their obligations under FMVSS (and other regulations/laws) to both recall the product, AND secure the inspections ASAP. Tesla and Collision Repair Associations should also be informed as they are likely to be in a position to both regularly see and inspect affected cars in a far more expedient manner than the manufacturer of the Ecohitch.

In closing, someone was recommending a similar hitch for a Model X. My input is too lengthy to post here, but since many Teslas have a 3rd Row seating for children, this is a Life Critical recall.

Tow package psych

Thank you.

I guess the Tesla hitch is not steel...:rolleyes:

It sounds like someone did a sheez job painting it. I have had 2 eco-hitches and one draw-lite, no issues in over 150,000 miles, and yes I pulled the facia to check. sounds like an early eco-hitch got a crappy paint job and now the attorneys are lining up to create a liability issue..

That also means Tesla did a Sheez job painting their car as well. since it had direct aluminum on steel contact... takes two errors to get this work - kinda like having a kid - both parties are liable and yes the rear crash bar is steel also, all the 7 passenger cars have an additional steel reinforcement bar.

Last edited:
p.s. Below is my submission to the NHTSA this morning (via SaferCar.gov). I strongly encourage Model S owners that have an Ecohitch installed, and live in a corrosion-conducive environment, to have their cars inspected and corrected, especially if you have the 3rd Row seating option.

Please forward any photographs to the NHTSA (or EU/Canadian equivalent) ASAP, along with Tesla itself. Even though this Ecohitch corrosion is not Tesla's fault, the reality is that they will see many of these cars and probably have a moral obligation to take a peek (and poke) every time an Ecohitch-equipped Model S is on the lift for something else . . . .

Torklift Central sells an "Ecohitch" for the Tesla Model S. Unfortunately, they failed to account for the aluminum body--and their hitch is made of steel.

Galvanic corrosion is powerful and destroys the strength of the body. The post below shows the damage done by an Ecohitch in under 3 years:

Torklift Central's later reply, dated Dec 19, 2017, is a major problem. They acknowledge the problem, claim that other Teslas have corrosion problems, and that this is, basically, not a big deal.

Worse, they also wrote this:

"This week we will have a simple kit and installation instructions for insulation pads - similar to what you have installed on your Tesla Model S. We are going to include this kit in all Tesla kits moving forward, as well as contact customers who have recently purchased."

Note the key words, "moving forward" and "recently."

This is a gross violation of their obligation to initiate a full recall of EVERY unit they have shipped, in addition to ensuring an inspection of every Tesla body to which their Ecohitch was attached.

I request that your ODI immediately contact the firm and advise them of their obligations under FMVSS (and other regulations/laws) to both recall the product, AND secure the inspections ASAP. Tesla and Collision Repair Associations should also be informed as they are likely to be in a position to both regularly see and inspect affected cars in a far more expedient manner than the manufacturer of the Ecohitch.

In closing, someone was recommending a similar hitch for a Model X. My input is too lengthy to post here, but since many Teslas have a 3rd Row seating for children, this is a Life Critical recall.

Tow package psych

Thank you.
You do know that the crash bar that Tesla installs on cars with the third row is steel, right?

I can double check - let me grab a magnet and crawl under the car when it gets dry... It seemed heavier when I had it off the car, it could have been a thicker walled extruded aluminum, but it didn't feel like it.

The Tesla factory tow system is High Strength Steel. I guess the word High Strength and a 7 pin electric plug and "software" makes it 9X more expensive than the Draw-Tite hitch @ $159. Tesla does include shipping and install...so maybe its only about 3 X the price I paid to get mine installed on my S. (for the last one, I did the other two)

OMG the X comes with a STEEL hitch too - wonder how they prevented galvanic corrosion, must have been some SPACE X developed nano paint with special anti gravity levity, so it doesn't touch the mounting posts. :rolleyes: Sure looks like a Bosal product to me
Detachable Systems | Bosal

Model X Tow Package
$1,250.00

Quantity
1▾

Equip your Model X with a high strength steel tow bar and removable 2” hitch receiver capable of towing up to 5,000 pounds on 20” wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22” wheels. Tow Mode actively monitors trailers sway and adjusts wheel braking and speed.

Includes:

• 1 x high strength steel tow bar
  • 1 x removable 2” hitch receiver
  • 1 x 7 pin trailer electronics harness
  • 1 x tow mode software package
Price includes shipping and installation and ships to your preferred Service Center.

Note: Customers with vehicles equipped with a trailer hitch & without Tow Mode enabled can upgrade to the full tow package by contacting their Service Center for information and availability.

Last edited:
I can double check - let me grab a magnet and crawl under the car when it gets dry... It seemed heavier when I had it off the car, it could have been a thicker walled extruded aluminum, but it didn't feel like it.

The Tesla factory tow system is High Strength Steel. I guess the word High Strength and a 7 pin electric plug and "software" makes it 9X more expensive than the Draw-Tite hitch @ $159. Tesla does include shipping and install...so maybe its only about 3 X the price I paid to get mine installed on my S. (for the last one, I did the other two)

OMG the X comes with a STEEL hitch too - wonder how they prevented galvanic corrosion, must have been some SPACE X developed nano paint with special anti gravity levity, so it doesn't touch the mounting posts. :rolleyes: Sure looks like a Bosal product to me
Detachable Systems | Bosal

Model X Tow Package
$1,250.00

Quantity
1▾

Equip your Model X with a high strength steel tow bar and removable 2” hitch receiver capable of towing up to 5,000 pounds on 20” wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22” wheels. Tow Mode actively monitors trailers sway and adjusts wheel braking and speed.

Includes:

• 1 x high strength steel tow bar
  • 1 x removable 2” hitch receiver
  • 1 x 7 pin trailer electronics harness
  • 1 x tow mode software package
Price includes shipping and installation and ships to your preferred Service Center.

Note: Customers with vehicles equipped with a trailer hitch & without Tow Mode enabled can upgrade to the full tow package by contacting their Service Center for information and availability.

The difference is that the one from Tesla won't destroy the body's structural integrity and place children at risk of death or maiming . . . and the other "off" brand will, or at least "did."

Worse yet, when the "off" brand finds out there's a major safety concern, the don't/won't recall them which is likely at least a moral crime, if it's not a felony or other "regular" crime. If it's not, it should be.

But GM kills over a hundred people and delays a recall for about a decade in their ignition key fiasco so what's a few children's lives in comparison?

General Motors ignition switch recalls - Wikipedia

Back to the hitch: Which company would you prefer to support? Tesla's hitch or the company following in GM's footsteps?

So one guy posts a picture of his corroded hitch and everyone is horrible, but the Tesla Hitch? Really?

Draw-Tite which has been around since 1946 has made more hitches than Tesla has made cars (fact).

I suspect Torklift Central (Maker of the Eco-Hitch) has probably has a similar production history since they have been doing hitches since 1976.
Mine look fine and I live in a state that dumps salt on the roads during the winter. I support fact, not some comparison to a known corrupt company that has been bailed out by the taxpayers for crappy management and poor products.

Aftermarket, does not mean off brand - the Tesla hitch isn't even made by Tesla... Be careful with those "off brand" Michelin Tires or Continentals, or Falkens, Tesla doesn't make them either, or those horrible exploding Panasonic "off brand" batteries.:rolleyes:

If these "off brand" hitches create the issue, Tesla's aftermarket product could do it too, as they are manufactured from steel also.

I am a Tesla zealot, but I recognize their product could have the same issue as DT and EH. If you are going to demand a recall, do it for all hitches installed by everyone (Tesla, EH and DT).

The crime is indicting companies without all the data. One event does not make a case....

I will support fact and my personal history with the products. I own both the Eco-Hitch and the Draw-Tite, do you?

It took GM a decade to kill 124 people - the drug companies can do this in one day with just opioids, daily in America, by creating addicts -https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/epidemic/index.html. If we do the math, that's 420,000 dead, just with opioid addiction in ten years - that makes GM look like a saint.

Opioids—prescription and illicit—are the main driver of drug overdose deaths. Opioids were involved in 42,249 deaths in 2016, and opioid overdose deaths were five times higher in 2016 than 1999.

Last edited:
This is a pretty simple decision IMO. The Tesla hitch is free once you let them know, and it would be covered under warranty despite also being steel. I would imagine if we find out in 3+ years that there is a corrosion problem, Tesla will also send you a notice in the mail to let you know. I'm not even sure why the torklift is in this discussion....

I was aware some people were taking delivery without the standard hitch as expected so even though I had the bag in the frunk at delivery I still climbed under and removed the cover when I got home to make sure it was installed. Wasn't worried Tesla wouldn't take care of it, just didn't want an unexpected surprises the first time I needed it.

Draw-Tite which has been around since 1946 has made more hitches than Tesla has made cars (fact).

Really. And that has what bearing on this topic?

It doesn't matter how many hitches they've made.

What matters is that they made a steel hitch for an ALUMINUM bodied Tesla Model S, and they failed to account for dissimilar metal corrosion.

They have a huge "FLASHING RED WARNING!" data point with this lucky rear-ending.

There are very likely to be many, many more out there just like this Tesla, and they know it. Their problem is that they have an expensive recall facing them (many millions of dollars) and they appear to be either underinsured, or not willing to make a claim. That is a massive mistake.

If they wait until there's an accident with injuries (trailer coming off a Tesla, with the hitch, due to galvanic corrosion; rear-ending in which children are killed or maimed due to Tesla body failure/collapse from galvanic corrosion, etc.), their punitive damages will be very, very high, not to mention what will happen financially when the Feds get involved . . . .

It would appear that this firm has grown too fast to understand what proper risk management is, and what their legal (and moral) responsibilities are. If the laws have changed post-GM ignition fiasco, they are also looking at criminal penalties, as they should be.

Really. And that has what bearing on this topic?

It doesn't matter how many hitches they've made.

What matters is that they made a steel hitch for an ALUMINUM bodied Tesla Model S, and they failed to account for dissimilar metal corrosion.

They have a huge "FLASHING RED WARNING!" data point with this lucky rear-ending.

There are very likely to be many, many more out there just like this Tesla, and they know it. Their problem is that they have an expensive recall facing them (many millions of dollars) and they appear to be either underinsured, or not willing to make a claim. That is a massive mistake.

If they wait until there's an accident with injuries (trailer coming off a Tesla, with the hitch, due to galvanic corrosion; rear-ending in which children are killed or maimed due to Tesla body failure/collapse from galvanic corrosion, etc.), their punitive damages will be very, very high, not to mention what will happen financially when the Feds get involved . . . .

It would appear that this firm has grown too fast to understand what proper risk management is, and what their legal (and moral) responsibilities are. If the laws have changed post-GM ignition fiasco, they are also looking at criminal penalties, as they should be.
Again, Tesla cars equipped with the 3rd row come with a steel reinforcement bar.

Again, Tesla cars equipped with the 3rd row come with a steel reinforcement bar.
Yes.

This is true.

It's been true since 2012 when the first MS's were built.

It too has NOTHING to do with this post as Tesla engineers appear to have properly isolated the STEEL from the ALUMINUM or we'd be seeing a LOT of pictures of MS's with galvanic corrosion by now.

What this tow hitch manufacturer is doing is PRETENDING this is an isolated case, and then closing their eyes to safety threats that are getting worse by the day in every single Tesla tow hitch they have sold.

Given the safety of life risks this presents, if it's not a criminal offense yet to fail to begin the recall process, it should be.

Unless they are really, really lucky and no gets hurt or injured (which is a really stupid way to run a company), their lawyers (and plaintiff's lawyers) should begin to look a buying ski chalets in Vail in the years ahead . . .

• Disagree
Reactions: ReddykwRun
I would also blame Tesla - as the galvanic corrosion will only happen if both the car and the hitch are not properly painted. The hitch alone does not create this issue, it requires two failures to create the corrosion, one by the hitch manufacturer and one by Tesla. True?

It's easy to fix with the right coatings:
Electrically insulate the two metals from each other. If they are not in electrical contact, no galvanic coupling will occur. This can be achieved by using non-conductive materials between metals of different electropotential.

One of the best insulators is used on the Statue of Liberty - PTFE/Teflon is used to shield the copper exterior from the "iron" framing and has excellent dielectric properties.

The best case could be to make the hitch out of Ferralium 255 or 316L: 531603 Stainless Steel and then add Teflon AKA PTFE as a coating, this would limit all conductivity and prevent galvanic coupling, preventing the development of corrosion.

As TSLA Pilot likes to say - this has NOTHING to do with the post, so please carry on.

Last edited: