Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Package vs. Accessory Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the sales team at Tesla said if I choose the "tow package" I can't connect a bike or ski mount like it shows in the picture for the "accessory hitch"

I want the tow package but not if I lose the ability to cart my bikes and skis around without an expensive trailer.

Thanks for the feedback!

I know. It sounds crazy...but why the distinction online.

Compatible with all 2" hitch mounted "racks" for the accessory hitch.

Compatible with hitch mounted bike and ski "carriers" for the tow package.

Carriers vs. racks

Is there a difference?!?!

I know. It sounds crazy...but why the distinction online.

Compatible with all 2" hitch mounted "racks" for the accessory hitch.

Compatible with hitch mounted bike and ski "carriers" for the tow package.

Carriers vs. racks

Is there a difference?!?!
The difference is likely that two different people wrote each section. o_O:p;)

Seriously though, no, there is no difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: captaintessie
This is the thing that grates on me the most about Tesla - their seeming inability to provide a consistent message down the chain on a frequent basis. Maybe it's a matter of training the staff "if you don't know, say you don't know," because the things that sales and delivery people are saying sometimes, with confidence, is mind numbing.

If indeed this is the case, then Tesla has invented a new kind of receiver that somehow gets downgraded in quality when it is rated for higher towing and tongue weights. They may have inverted the laws of physics.

Last edited:
Sorry. Can't seem to find any others. I thought there were more. :oops:

There is a plastic cover over the mount for the receiver on the tow package. That's probably not what you're asking about though. I don't know if, or when, Tesla will deliver the slick built in accessory hitch and trick bike carrier shown at the reveal. Likely "soon". :confused::rolleyes::eek:;)

I asked a question to my DS about the accessory hitch and this was her answer today:
"We have not shipped any vehicles configured with the accessory hitch at this time. Originally, the signature Model X did experience a shortage of the tow package’s tow hitch but all the vehicles that have been coming through have all their items."
My question to her was:
"The cars that ordered the Accessory hitch, are they being delivered with all parts needed to hook up bike racks or is there a delay in getting the hitch receiver parts?"

Sorry. Can't seem to find any others. I thought there were more. :oops:

There is a plastic cover over the mount for the receiver on the tow package. That's probably not what you're asking about though. I don't know if, or when, Tesla will deliver the slick built in accessory hitch and trick bike carrier shown at the reveal. Likely "soon". :confused::rolleyes::eek:;)

Yeah. I think you answered my question.

So when I'm not using the tow hitch it can be covered by a plastic cover over the hitch receptacle the same color as my X?

Yeah. I think you answered my question.

So when I'm not using the tow hitch it can be covered by a plastic cover over the hitch receptacle the same color as my X?
Not exactly. You'll have to remove the hitch receiver in order for it to be covered. Otherwise the receiver (the 2" square bit a hitch mount rack or trailer ball slides into) extends down and back out of the diffuser. It's not difficult to remove though but does require you lay down or squat down and reach up under the rear bumper.

This is the system the X uses...

Thanks to both of you for the help.

I'll get the tow package tomorrow added to my order. It's a pretty good price since I already had the accessory hitch....only $550 more to be able to tow. Unless you can think of a reason not to get it?!?

Thanks
I can't. I got it too "just in case". I really only plan to use it to carry my bicycles. I've never towed before but have never had a vehicle that could. Like @ohmman I may one day get a nice little camping trailer for some outdoor adventuring.

I am actually thinking about purchasing an extra plastic hatch to figure out a way to carve out and fit around the mounted receiver. Why? Because having that largish hole in the underside of the bumper would bug me. :eek::D:p