Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Package vs. Accessory Hitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No...the hitch only gets you the hole to put in a bike rack, ski rack, etc.

People were just saying that it seems they were giving the tow package for free anyway. I disagree with that since you'd need the download as well...and who knows if it has the extra strength bar to allow for the weight.
Be safe and spend the $550..get the tow package...otherwise you destroy the X and the warranty wont cover it.

I read through this thread and an still a little confused. I'm about to finalize my towing capability for a (claimed) July delivery. If I get the hitch, that means I get full towing capability but only to 3500 pounds? I thought that 3500 is due to the 22" wheels. I don't need to tow anything large. Maybe just some small trailers to carry my motorcycles or something. Definitely not 5000 lbs.

Ooops...forgot to "reply"

sorry

Reactions: Diavel
Thanks twin... If y

Little red wagon?? Radio flyer? I knew you were young but "dang". ;)

But mine has a sunshade
Radio-Flyer-Ultimate-Comfort-Wagon-630x533.jpg

The timing of the switch from 1.25" receiver to 2" receiver was way quicker than 5 or 6 months. It was more like 2 months at most. This is going from memory and not checking the forums (where it was pointed out when this switch happened), but it was a very early change to the Accessory Hitch option. The AH was a free upgrade for a while too. That much I'm certain of.
I was originally discussing the < sarcasm >"start of delivery"< /sarcasm > event on Sept 28 when the accessory hitch was revealed. The 1.25" switch to 2" was somewhere between 4-6 months (sorry, didn't try to research it) later.

Hi everyone, so I added the tow package with the air suspension! Now I am looking at trailers (just perusing really) and came across this one.

It's a trailer with a generator. I'm not very electrically inclined nor have ever used a generator or even a trailer before so I wanted to ask everyone's opinion.

I have a 75d and I'm sure my range would be worse with this trailer. Would it be possible for me to charge the X with this generator?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    918.6 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: madodel
They have free super chargers on the highways
If it has a common 5-15 receptacle than yes. It also likely has some higher amperage receptacles that will work too - maybe a 5-20, but probably an L10-30 or L14-30. Unlikely to have a 10-30, 14-30, or 14-50. So any of the L (locking; they're round) or something more exotic, you'd have to build your own adapter. You should also determine the continuous amperage the generator can produce, and dial your X down to that. I don't think it's unusual to have a receptacle on a generator that's commonly used for higher amperages than the generator can sustain, and you don't want to damage the generator (or your X!) by overdrawing it. I'm not sure if/how the continuous load factor would apply to the nameplate of a generator; I would think it wouldn't.

Reactions: Diavel
I am still kind of confused at this point. Can anyone confirm if the Accessory Hitch option is basically same as the Towing Package in the sense that the 2" receiver is removable, and can be covered up? Thanks.

I think I get it but I need some help. Got a model X with no tow package in dec 2016. I did not get an accessory hitch in hand either. I just want to put a bike rack on the hitch. Will I need the AH for that? If so, where can I get that piece alone. Or will the bike rack go directly on the hitch? Help and thoughts would be appreciated.

I think I get it but I need some help. Got a model X with no tow package in dec 2016. I did not get an accessory hitch in hand either. I just want to put a bike rack on the hitch. Will I need the AH for that? If so, where can I get that piece alone. Or will the bike rack go directly on the hitch? Help and thoughts would be appreciated.
If you ordered the "Accessory Hitch" option you should have received all you need (a removable tow hitch receiver made by Bosal). If you ordered neither, then you'll need to get the service center installed "Tow Package" for $1250.

Tesla — Tow Package

I am still kind of confused at this point. Can anyone confirm if the Accessory Hitch option is basically same as the Towing Package in the sense that the 2" receiver is removable, and can be covered up? Thanks.

It's the same, and $750 to add the software. Just be careful to set your settings to what tow mode does, adjusting the suspension to match trailer height for example could damage the electronic body controller...ask me how I know..