Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Towing is factory installed only. There is no added option after delivery by Tesla. Whether someone will build an "aftermarket" solution is always possible, but (IMO) unlikely due to cost, complexity and limited demand. For $750, I ordered -- especially since the receiver is not visible when not in use.

I recall I paid $130 for a cheap 1.25" aftermarket bike hitch for my car about 5 years ago, not including my self install with purchased proper bolts for my frame as well as having the proper torque wrench borrowed from my neighbor. I can only imagine an aftermarket Tesla 2" hitch would cost well over the $200 option price for a better engineered and factory attached hitch. I would say the only matter for discussion is whether to choose a $200 vs full Tow package for $750. Even if you never plan to use any carriers (ski/bike/light cargo), consider resale value for the cheapest option available at only $200. If you are contemplating real trailer towing, know that the $750 option includes software you would not get aftermarket. Hope this helps.