Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been looking for some numbers, but dont see much. Any info on tow range? Hoping to tow a canam side-by-side(~2k-2.5k lbs) on the short trips weekends and between flagstaff and phoenix 2x a year. I realize I may have to stop on this trip and charge, but it's only for seasonal transportation with the cabin. Other opinions?

• Love
Reactions: Rossy
I pretty sure that it’s going to vary a lot depending on what and how much weight you are towing. It could be as high as 50%. There’s no way to calculate it. There’s no EPA towing test.

There are lots of complaints the Y isn’t even reaching it’t EPA rated range of 316 miles, although there are those who drive 45 miles then calculate as if they used the whole battery and that’s not accurate, either.

The best you could do if you need an answer is to find someone who has towed. Not very likely.

Try and report back.
Flag down to Phoenix will be relatively good.
Phoenix up to Flag will be 'bad'. You can make it awful by going 75+mph average.

Your gasser doesn't differ very much.
Going downhill saves gas (your Y can actually generate energy or add range). Going uphill consumes more gas.
Going faster consumes more gas.
Towing anything consumes more gas.

Been looking for some numbers, but dont see much. Any info on tow range? Hoping to tow a canam side-by-side(~2k-2.5k lbs) on the short trips weekends and between flagstaff and phoenix 2x a year. I realize I may have to stop on this trip and charge, but it's only for seasonal transportation with the cabin. Other opinions?

I have a 100kwh Model X. I plan 120-140 mi range while towing. Typically I find Superchargers are about 120 mi apart and it’s a non issue BUT. If you arrive at a High use Charger at 83%.(Say for example Indio CA) you won’t be able to initiate a supercharging session as your limit is set to 80%, Charging stops, before you can set it higher.
So you decide you can make it...which will result in painful 2 hit level 1 charge because spouse won’t let you drop trailer on freeway to reach supercharger.
So Always plan to arrive with 10% SOC. Wild fires etc can throw a wrench in your travels and you may need to backtrack.
Buy the $550 CHadeMo adapter and practice using it locally. Sign up for PlugShare.
We did 3200 mile trip PDX/LAX/PHX last yeR no probably other than Blythe slow charge. Climbing hills & High winds will make you wish Superchargers we’re spaced closer. If there are no CHADEMO solutions within the route RV parks have 50AMP plugs but throttle back to 26Amps to prevent a feeder breaker no one knows about from tripping. (The breaker at your RV spot won’t be the one that trips...it will be upstream, and maybe locked.)
It’s hard not to pass all those F250 diesels at 75mph, but in California that’s a $481 dollar speeding ticket as towing speed limit is 55mph.
Drafting behind semis and staying at 55mph will serve to get you if the % falls below 14%, but that’s going to be when your going uphill
For printed stats see Tesla Bjorn (Bjorn Nyland). He has a webpage.

Attachments

• 8935FEA6-7F6B-43D2-8C77-DFE7A75445B3.jpeg
    8935FEA6-7F6B-43D2-8C77-DFE7A75445B3.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 34D87E86-0A09-436D-8AAB-765F90047C3E.jpeg
    34D87E86-0A09-436D-8AAB-765F90047C3E.jpeg
    575.9 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Tedkidd
I just completed a 11.2 mile trip with my MY LR with a 1720 pound trailer and a 900 pound golf cart. My range was reduced by 55%. So instead of my usual, real-world range of about 275 miles, I would expect a range of only 124 miles. Actually, it's probably a little worse than that, as I drove slower and accelerated gently with the trailer behind me.

TeslaFi says I used 6.77 kWh to cover this distance in 19 minutes.

I've towed several times and my trailer is about 3K loaded. It's short but the aerodynamic profile is poor. The WH/MI is somewhat inconsistent. Temps, headwind/tailwind, speeds, stop and go, etc. makes for range anxiety if you try for even expected range. There's a trip I've made a couple of times that is 108 miles going direct up the center of SW Florida (Rt 17). Unfortunately there are no places to charge along that route so I take I-75 which has SCs along the way but adds 40 miles to the trip. Most likely, I could make the 108 miles BUT with no other charging options and inconsistent energy usage, I don't trust it.
IMG_7659.JPG

Reactions: Langzaiguy
Ive taken my trailer out on few test runs in AZ and been impressed with what I am seeing. I went 89 miles from Phoenix north to Camp Verde elevation change from 1100 to 3100 and went from 95% to 28% charge. Coming back down the mountains i went from 75% to 18% on the same route. I set the cruise at 60mph and let it do its things. This weekend i will be heading south on I10 which has relatively small elevation changes and I am planning to have at least 120 miles of range. I will post what I end up seeing. My trailer is also light as it is a tab320 and is only about 2000 pounds loaded.

3BE07FB3-3FDA-4DB1-A05A-5032D37A7916.jpeg