Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tow vehicle: MX LR+ vs new MY LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’re going to be taking delivery of our Safari Condo Alto F2114 travel trailer within the next 12 months. My wife’s 12-year-old Lexus SUV isn’t going to make it much longer, and so we’re planning on replacing it with the new tow vehicle (obviously an EV), and looking for advice on MY vs MX. The Alto is about 2500 lb dry but we expect it will be closer to 3500 with all our options and fully loaded for travel.

We have had a Rivian on order for ages for the tow vehicle, but as a long time Tesla owner, I am nervous about cross-country travel without the security of the Supercharger network. Also, it looks like we’ll need a vehicle sooner than we’ll get the Rivian anyway.

Our budget maxes out around $70k for now, so a new refresh MX is out of the question, but it looks like if the stars align just right, I might be able to snag a used MX LR+ for around that. Or we could pick up a new MY LR comfortably within our budget, but it has less range and towing capacity (just barely meets requirements for our Alto). Not to mention we’re planning on getting a third row for our kids and their friends carpooling, and the MX third row is vastly superior. Also, because it’ll be my wife’s daily driver, the instrument screen behind the wheel in the MX is a major bonus - she’s driven my M3 and tolerates the single screen experience OK, but still considers the separate instrument cluster a major plus.

This will be a long-term vehicle and the FWD and increased complexity of the MX, and shorter warranty period (because we’d be buying it used) concern me. The MY would be more solid in my opinion, not to mention brand new, but isn’t quite as optimized as a tow vehicle compared to the MX.

Does anyone have experience towing with the MY or MX they’d like to share? I’d love any advice that helps us decide. We do (hopefully) have a few months to figure it out.

Photos:
MY towing a small Alto by @ElectroCat
MX towing a small Alto by @ecarfan

Attachments

• 725FA33B-E37D-4779-B393-CF318A332196.jpeg
    725FA33B-E37D-4779-B393-CF318A332196.jpeg
    886.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 1F25CC78-EE9A-4495-BBBF-E6C8A231A843.jpeg
    1F25CC78-EE9A-4495-BBBF-E6C8A231A843.jpeg
    924.2 KB · Views: 51