Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towable Generators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a "pusher" you could recharge the battery. You just let it stay in regen with the car putting drag, and the pusher trailer overcoming it. No special modifications to the charging circuit needed.
Have you ever pulled a heavy trailer w/o brakes down a hill? This product with a standard car trailer hitch setup would have vehicles jackknifing every 10 seconds.

You would need a way to disable the push feature when going downhill. Better yet, the pusher should provide engine braking when needed to help slow down.

Some of those existing old pusher prototypes probably do all that. (But I would suspect under lots of manual control that would need to be automated for a mass market solution.)

Club Assist Announces Emergency Fast Charge Service: EVWORLD.COM
clubassist_mobilegenerator.jpg

By the way, it is probably misleading to call that a "fast charge". If they had a big battery pack they probably could do a fast charge (say 50kW DC CHAdeMO to a Leaf), as apposed to the J1772 on a gas generator probably only around 5kW.

Trailer would be a big plus

If Tesla offered a range extending trailer I would jump on it. I do plan on discussing the feasability of this when the Ranger pays me a visit next month. Yes it would require a firmware update but technically I think this is very possible. As the car is built for regen we know it can take power whil driving. If one were to get a 6000W generator, perferably a bio-diesel, I caculate one could easly travel 300 miles on the interstate without stopping and then you are guaranteed a charge while you stop to eat. This would make 500 mile days possible and turn the Roadster into a car one could truely travel long distances in especially if it had a little room for additional luggage. The carbon footprint would be minimal, especially with bio-diesel and then one can take the car to shows and events that are not in your home town. Let's face it the charging infrastructure is lacking and still has a way to go. When not needing the extra range it can be a back up generator for the house.

I think this would be a far simplier solution than what the Volt is doing.

That's why i'm wondering:a
-Pushingtrailers are (in the above mentioned posts) supposing that the batterypack is empty, and needs to be recharged => high pushing force required with the danger of jackknifing
-Generatortrailers (in the above mentioned posts) are supposing that the car needs to be recharged (unmentioned in what SOC the battery is)

Why not taking best of both worlds? A pushingtrailer that you activate when turning on the freeway on a long trip (read: expeting not to get there) and pushes just enough to push safely (lets say 5 or 10kW for example?) and thus simulating a tailwind, and thus using less battery and extending the range by ...%

^ Interesting, but not a lot of info on the website. I assume you would use your EV and rent the trailer, which is a large battery to power the car while attached. I like the theory and maybe they have it all figured out but I see a lot of compatibility issues between an EV and a rented trailer/extra battery, especially how they bypass the car's main battery (unless the diagrams on the technical page illustrate this). Wouldn't they have to modify the car to allow this? I would imagine that any modification to the car wiring would void the car battery warranty. Also, what about the in-car software, wouldn't the trailer battery have to be compatible with any make of EV? There would also be the added number of miles to the EV odometer but not on the car battery. Probably not a problem if the service is only used a couple of times over the life of the EV, but if used regularly the EV could decrease in value faster than it should since the odometer would show more miles than are actually on the car battery.

Oh pleas stop it guys -.-

dont you see where all this is leading to ??

Just another bad anti-EV point for GM and friends ...

:" You see ? EV's have to travel a gasoline generator with them, so they can drive over 200 miles. Don't buy them, come to us an buy a huge bulky SUV and spent thousands of dollars in Oil, than you can go as far as you want :scared:".

No I think that is no solution. It would either be better to put a 100 kwh battery in bigger cars, so they can go much farther.

But carrying a bulky trailer with the smooth model s ??? You must be joking... How does THAT look like ? Yuk :crying: