TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Towbar bike rack for X - recommendations please?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by ShaneX, Apr 18, 2017.

1. ShaneX

ShaneX Member

Despite happily taking my £750 for a towing option, Tesla do not sell their branded bike rack in Europe, and don't want to give any recommendations. All I know is the hitch comes with a 50mm ball - had to ask 3 times for that nugget!

US bike racks (Yakima for example) seem to come with a rectangular socket that fits into a rectangular hole in the tow assembly. But in UK, bike racks seem to be attached to a standard ball.

Can anyone give any advice on what actually works, for carrying 3-4 bikes? for example there are two options here from thule.
    Bike rack and carriers for your car | Thule | UK
    I'd be very grateful if anyone could
    a) tell me what actually fits onto the towbar I've never seen
    b) recommend a good bike carrier
    c) ideally one which does not interfere with the cars sensors (about which even less informatio is available) - it would be nice to drive with bikes and autopilot!

thanks all.

2. ShaneX

ShaneX Member

Can it be that the venn diagram that is telsa owner AND cyclist has ony one entry?
    Or maybe the answer is really obvious and everyone is leaving me to do my own of learning and growing!

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

Tesla has stated that the 2" receiver is only available in North America (ie. US & Canada). See detailed and frustrated discussion in the Australia sub-forum here: Has anyone towed with a Model X yet?

4. JS_Barnet

JS_Barnet Member

I was told that there were tesla bike racks available in the Amsterdam depot which are EU style and that there are more coming.

5. archiveking

archiveking Member

I have a Bosal one - it seems to be identical to the Thule one but maybe its a brand they use in other markets.
    Check it out here -
    I think that when you go into tow mode in drivers settings then the sensors are suspended ( a bit obvious i guess ) - the wiring into the MX works perfectly.
    I like it more than most of the others that have to be spannered onto the tow bar - this one has a lever that locks it into place very very securely.
    I had an order for the Tesla one but it has never materialised. The word from TM spares is that they have a TM branded one coming here in the autumn made by Atera - Atera STRADA DL 2 to 3 bike carrier (UK lights) no. AR2602.

let us know how you get on....