Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towbar on a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember I had a old kombi van and a towbar place did have a towbar listed as you are not meant to tow with an air cooled engine. I explained I just wanted it for carrying bikes and they said no problem they will make me one. They spent 2 minutes taking measurements and told me to come back in two days. Sure enough they had made me a tow bar for about $200which I put my bike rack on. Wonder whether anyone would make one to order on a Tesla?

To revive an old thread. The only tow bar for model S is the torklift central from the USA. That currently is AUD500. shipping one out here would probably come close to trebling the price given shipping charges from USA and customs.
I am currently investigating whether TESLA would be prepared to accept delivery in the USA , there is free shipping in the lower 48 states, and then ship the product out here in one of their numerous parts containers. Long shot, I know, but I really want to be able to carry really heavy electric assist bicycles. Anyone else interested in joining me to put pressure on? I have only just started the process.

I had mine ffwd'ed over too, all up under $800USD, given our crappy AUD these days that's just a bit over $1kAU.. Which is not too bad since i was considering a tow bar on the ICE instead and that would've set me back $850. And I sure as hell plan to keep the Tesla longer.

Kit came with nylon washers.. Interestingly, came with 16 washers for 12 bolts. At first that sounds like spares until you realise 4 of them are to act as spacess and you need a washer on both sides of the bolt to prevent galvanic corrosion? Suddenly you're 12 washers short.

Ended up making my own bolt washers out of an old blister pack to sit on top of the galv zinc washers supplied. Those things are made with PET plastic and they're are tough as hell with a half life longer than plutonium. I've even sleeved the bolt itself with the stuff so the two different metals will never touch. Torqued the crap out of the nuts and Teflon taped the threads too so it won't seize, contact metal, or rattle loose.

Has anybody tried the wiring harness out? I'd love to be able to tow a small trailer with the S.
What'd u need to know? I've got mine sorted out, the pinouts have been posted somewhere on this forum before and that's what i went with. Only thing you'll be missing is reverse lights because that's in the tailgate so unless you feel like running a very long cable through there.. in AU, reverse trailer light is optional anyway.. Particularly for a small trailer...