Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towbar on a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am aware that some in Australia have installed and use the aftermarket add on I've linked to below - Tesla in Sydney told me about it. I'm keen to know your experiences. This tow bar sounds good in that it requires no drilling or modifications to the car itself. The one thing it does not provide though is the lights/indicator connection. How have those that have this implemented lights?

I have a trailer I need to tow that contains my radio controlled jets (a very obsessive hobby!). I don't need to tow it long distances, but I do need to tow it. A decision on this determines whether I still keep my BMW X3 primarily for towing after my Tesla arrives, or whether I can sell it and go "all in".

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...-tow-model-s-trailer-hitch-installation-video

Cheers,
Colin

I am aware that some in Australia have installed and use the aftermarket add on I've linked to below - Tesla in Sydney told me about it. I'm keen to know your experiences. This tow bar sounds good in that it requires no drilling or modifications to the car itself. The one thing it does not provide though is the lights/indicator connection. How have those that have this implemented lights?

I have a trailer I need to tow that contains my radio controlled jets (a very obsessive hobby!). I don't need to tow it long distances, but I do need to tow it. A decision on this determines whether I still keep my BMW X3 primarily for towing after my Tesla arrives, or whether I can sell it and go "all in".

http://www.greencarreports.com/news...-tow-model-s-trailer-hitch-installation-video

Cheers,
Colin

Be aware (in case you haven't watched that video all the way through) that it does require one significant modification - a large cutout in your rear bumper! So there's no (easy) going back :)

Be aware (in case you haven't watched that video all the way through) that it does require one significant modification - a large cutout in your rear bumper! So there's no (easy) going back :)

I'm not so sure... it looks to me like it sits under the rear bumper from the photos I can see. I dont have my Tesla yet, so it is a little hard for me to be sure.

TB1.jpg
TB2.jpg

Wise decision indeed as I believe it would invalidate the warranty. Tesla say that the Model S is not designed for towing.

I agree, but I wonder what the basis for Tesla's position is? The drivetrains are (to my knowledge) the same as a model X and that has a towing capacity of two tonnes I believe?

I can only assume it is therefore related to the chassis not being built to take the loads at the logical points of attachment?

Could it relate to the rear facing child seats in some markets (eg a trailer coming loose entering the trunk area?)

It seems odd that they can't offer an official Tesla towbar even if it were only rated for say one tonne (allowing a small box trailer, bike rack or similar to be used?)

I agree, but I wonder what the basis for Tesla's position is? The drivetrains are (to my knowledge) the same as a model X and that has a towing capacity of two tonnes I believe?

I can only assume it is therefore related to the chassis not being built to take the loads at the logical points of attachment?

Could it relate to the rear facing child seats in some markets (eg a trailer coming loose entering the trunk area?)

It seems odd that they can't offer an official Tesla towbar even if it were only rated for say one tonne (allowing a small box trailer, bike rack or similar to be used?)
Could also be the lack of a wiring harnass, and the difficulty of installing one?

Wise decision indeed as I believe it would invalidate the warranty. Tesla say that the Model S is not designed for towing.
Are you sure it would invalidate the warranty? I asked about a tow bar for a bike rack and the reply was: "In regards to the rear bike rack, it doesn’t void the entire warranty of the car, just anything that is directly affected by the modification."