Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towbar suppliers in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that I can purchase either a Ecohitch or Stealthitch for a Model 3?

I can only seem to find results in the USA where they are made but none of them will ship to the UK.

I have found some similar over here but they are only rated to use with a cycle carrier and im looking to tow a small trailer for lugging around our camping equipment.

If I had known better I would of ordered one with the car, but at the time I did not know I would want to tow anything.

Cheers

Read this thread.

Especially the 3rd post.

Thanks for the reply.
Already looked at that comment before.
Where does it state that the car is zero rated for towing?
Is this info the police have or something?
It says on your car (lower B piller viewed from passenger side with the door open)... but only if you have the tow bar adapters fitted already at the factory. All of the new Model Ys have the required hardware that is suitable for a tow bar to be fitted .. but not the Model 3. Presumably in the USA they have different regulations and 3rd parties are allowed to adapt the car as necessary.

Reactions: carvolution
If I had known better I would of ordered one with the car, but at the time I did not know I would want to tow anything.
This is the issue unfortunately. You need the underlying hardware fitted at the factory. (Presumably a different strengthened rear beam with the socket for the removeable bar to fix to.) The car also has the electrical connections and the links to the car computer so it knows it's towing.

@Adopado
Is this the sticker you mean?
IMG_2360.jpg

My M3 has the tow bar and the maximum towing weight is listed on the sticker but I can't remember the format.

What I don't understand is that if the model is homologated, why can't the tow hitch be installed later on a car that didn't have one from original order.
Virtually all ICE's are homologated to tow but are allowed to have tow bars fitted later.

Has the law changed on this?