Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towbar suppliers in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to rub salt in, the Model Y can have them installed after delivery.

They use the horizontally detachable tow hitch which is vastly easier to use than the vertical one on the M3 which requires grovelling on the ground to install.

Just to rub salt in, the Model Y can have them installed after delivery.

They use the horizontally detachable tow hitch which is vastly easier to use than the vertical one on the M3 which requires grovelling on the ground to install.

Yeah I saw that on the Tesla website earlier. If you want one you buy it after delivery.
All the videos of people installing them on the 3 seams really easy.
Just need to find out if it can be added to V5 or not so will phone DVLA tomorrow and see what they say

I used to have a BM E46 M3 which is based on the 3 Series model.
It is not homologated to tow although all the 3 Series are.

I installed a 3 Series tow bar to the car, it picked up on all the pre-punched holes in the chassis that I assume are standard.
You can hardly say it would be under powered or braked so I notified my insurer to add it to the policy which was added with no additional cost.

Its hard to understand how such a car would be so different to the standard 3 Series car to be deemed illegal.

Reactions: carvolution
Yeah I saw that on the Tesla website earlier. If you want one you buy it after delivery.
All the videos of people installing them on the 3 seams really easy.
Just need to find out if it can be added to V5 or not so will phone DVLA tomorrow and see what they say
I’m afraid you’re SOL. The M3 cannot have a towbar fitted that can be used to tow a trailer aftermarket. The label as mentioned previously states what the towing capacity is. For M3s that aren’t tow specced from the factory the tow rating data is missing from the label. Any traffic cop that pulls you over whilst towing would know to check this label and you would be fined if you’re caught. As others have mentioned, your insurance would also be invalidated (as well as being an outer for the warranty).

Need to see a sticker inside the door of a M3 with the factory tow option I reckon to work out if it’s the same as mine. Can’t imagine there’s any difference
Here you go. Top number is vehicle’s gross vehicle weight (maximum weight of vehicle + stuff). Second number is gross train weight (maximum weight of fully laden vehicle + trailer).

Attachments

• 38948446-6E47-45CF-9292-83CD937076FD.jpeg
    38948446-6E47-45CF-9292-83CD937076FD.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 96
My M3 has the tow bar and the maximum towing weight is listed on the sticker but I can't remember the format.

What I don't understand is that if the model is homologated, why can't the tow hitch be installed later on a car that didn't have one from original order.
Virtually all ICE's are homologated to tow but are allowed to have tow bars fitted later.

Has the law changed on this?
Didn't you get an answer in the linked thread?

The tow hitch supplier to Tesla is the German supplier Westfalia but I doubt they would sell to Joe public.
Yes, though the Westfalia tow ball is just the slot in bit that you carry around separately. The bit that’s done at the factory is the chassis adaptation (and perhaps strengthening) that allows the Westfalia hook to slot in. Even if you could buy the tow ball separately there would be nothing to attach it to.