Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towed with 20 MYP today = abysmal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However I was not aware that a Model Y Performance with an EPA range of 305 miles actually is 261 miles
If you drive just like the EPA test protocol you will get EPA numbers. But of course people don’t drive that way. This is well known. EPA numbers are not “real world” figures for gas cars either.
and apparently you guys are towing down hill at 12 mph on back roads and telling us all how great these vehicle are at towing
When you post silly exaggerations you undermine your position.

Again, in the past 3 1/2 years I’ve towed my 2,300 lb trailer thousands of miles quite comfortably. Yes, I’m towing with an X, but the Y can tow comfortably as well based on numerous reports. You have to be aware of the limitations, just as you have to be aware of EV limitations compared to gas cars when not towing.

Reactions: mark95476
That's being done on purpose.

Thanks for providing your experiences. MX had been around for years before MY existed and people have been towing with it all that time. Bjorn did that for years and had many videos with numbers and stats.

When you post silly exaggerations you undermine your position.

Again, in the past 3 1/2 years I’ve towed my 2,300 lb trailer thousands of miles quite comfortably. Yes, I’m towing with an X, but the Y can tow comfortably as well based on numerous reports. You have to be aware of the limitations, just as you have to be aware of EV limitations compared to gas cars when not towing.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
That's being done on purpose.

Thanks for providing your experiences. MX had been around for years before MY existed and people have been towing with it all that time. Bjorn did that for years and had many videos with numbers and stats.
I see you still haven’t responded to my previous post asking how I was spreading FUD by stating it takes 5 minutes to fill a gas tank and 30 minutes to, not even fully, charge a Tesla.

Well…we’re all waiting. Or do you just automatically attack people who say anything critical of Tesla?

• Disagree
I see you still haven’t responded to my previous post asking how I was spreading FUD by stating it takes 5 minutes to fill a gas tank and 30 minutes to, not even fully, charge a Tesla.

Well…we’re all waiting. Or do you just automatically attack people who say anything critical of Tesla?
I personally wouldn't call it "FUD", but it feels like the wrong comparison. On a 600 mile trip, I don't care that it takes 30 minutes to charge vs 5 minutes at one stop. I do care that the EV actually takes closer to 3 stops of 20 minutes each to do that and twice that many if towing anything of significance. Cut that to one stop of 25 minutes, and its not even an issue. Give me 5 minute stops instead but keep me needing 6 of them and I'm still pretty annoyed at being forced to get off the interstate for them.

But why does it venture close to being FUD? Because this is what EV owners hear all the time about regular (non-towing) road trips. "I won't get one until I can stop for 5 minutes", when that doesn't match the way most of us actually road trip in gas cars either, at least for me (and really a lot of people that I see taking them).

So, no, its not FUD, but it rhymes.

I personally wouldn't call it "FUD", but it feels like the wrong comparison. On a 600 mile trip, I don't care that it takes 30 minutes to charge vs 5 minutes at one stop. I do care that the EV actually takes closer to 3 stops of 20 minutes each to do that and twice that many if towing anything of significance. Cut that to one stop of 25 minutes, and its not even an issue. Give me 5 minute stops instead but keep me needing 6 of them and I'm still pretty annoyed at being forced to get off the interstate for them.

But why does it venture close to being FUD? Because this is what EV owners hear all the time about regular (non-towing) road trips. "I won't get one until I can stop for 5 minutes", when that doesn't match the way most of us actually road trip in gas cars either, at least for me (and really a lot of people that I see taking them).

So, no, its not FUD, but it rhymes.
It’s not FUD when it is a fact. All I said was it takes 5 minutes to refuel an ICE vehicle when towing. A Tesla takes significantly longer. That’s it.

Your use case for the vehicle is not going to be the same as everyone else. You only tow 20 miles to the lake? Great. A Tesla will work for you. Going on a cross country trip? You just added DAYS to your journey.

Again, these are facts. They shouldn’t be in dispute, but the Musketeers are the equivalent of Trumpers when it comes to EVs.

• Disagree
We haven't tried to tow the boat as of yet. But soon I hope. We have two options to take it to. One place 17 miles.

but the other, which my family favors, is 71 miles 1 way. The Boat weight on trailer is about #3400. math from other peoples experiences is telling me 120 miles.... so falls short. I think well have to charge before we return, and that's part of what's held me back so far, The SC nearby is in a tight corner of a parking lot, Doable but not so easy that IM thrilled about it.

Have this day dream that someone makes the chargers drive-through.

Reactions: jsight
...it takes 5 minutes to fill a gas tank and 30 minutes to, not even fully, charge a Tesla...
I agree with those numbers. But here's why the numbers you stated might not matter (at least for us they don't).

Even when driving an ICE long distance I can't remember the last time I stopped for "just gas". There's always coffee involved. And the bathroom. Probably a snack. And if traveling with our dogs they need to be walked. So that's usually fifteen minutes to twenty minutes (longer if we stop for lunch).

Which gets to point two. Nine out of ten times the car has charged enough by the time we get back to it. We're not waiting around any more than we would have if driving an ICE. All the charging we need is occurring concurrently with the stuff we normally do on stops.

That's because you don't "fill up" every stop. You only need to re-fuel enough to get to the next stop. And if you keep the car in the 15-80% range you stay in the fastest parts of the charging curve.

Now if your argument is that you can tow one thousand miles, with only two stops of five minutes in an ICE. And that you can't do that with an EV. Then yes. I agree with you. Problem is that most people who tow campers with ICE's generally don't travel that way.

It’s not FUD when it is a fact. All I said was it takes 5 minutes to refuel an ICE vehicle when towing. A Tesla takes significantly longer. That’s it.

Your use case for the vehicle is not going to be the same as everyone else. You only tow 20 miles to the lake? Great. A Tesla will work for you. Going on a cross country trip? You just added DAYS to your journey.

Again, these are facts. They shouldn’t be in dispute, but the Musketeers are the equivalent of Trumpers when it comes to EVs.
Yes, there are a lot of Musketeers on the forum (although you seem to be more of a Musk-Rat) ;) Seriously though, Numbers discussed, like charge times, should have been considered before we purchased. Comparisons on known charging data vs ICE cars to experienced owners after the fact is condescending. There's been plenty of towing range numbers, wh/mi, etc posted on Model Ys for over a year for potential buyers to consider. There are 2 large groups on Facebook alone dedicated to Tesla towing.

You act like these are the only 2 options. The vast majority of drivers have never towed anything in their lives. That doesn't mean that Tesla's don't make great non-towing vacation vehicles.
Ok that’s fair but it is marketed as an SUV .. so you should be able to tow a small trailer, throw on a roof rack, or a hitch rack. It’s got awd and decent ground clearance, but any sort of towing would diminish range well past what a normal SUV should be able to do. It’s very limited in those regards which is disappointing for anything deemed an SUV

Reactions: glide

@mark95476 - I see you chose not to respond to the conversation (because you don’t have a leg to stand on), and have instead decided to just downvote all my posts. Keep it up and you’re getting reported to the mods.

Ok that’s fair but it is marketed as an SUV .. so you should be able to tow a small trailer, throw on a roof rack, or a hitch rack. It’s got awd and decent ground clearance, but any sort of towing would diminish range well past what a normal SUV should be able to do. It’s very limited in those regards which is disappointing for anything deemed an SUV
Its range is already well below an ICE SUV, especially on the highway where the ICE has its best range. I'm not sure why it'd be surprising that its towing range would be even more below that.

Tow our Alto trailer with our Y, get 225km to 250km range depending on wind and hiils, easy to get to the next super charger, charge overnight in camp grounds, works for us on long trips.
Our Outback lost about 40% of its range therefore very close in range loss.

View attachment 696387
ElectroCat, You have the exact rig I am planning to get. I have a F1713 on order (2023) and a long range model Y for(2022). I have used the SuperCharger app to figure out my charging options for trips going to Halifax and Vancouver with an expected range of 200km between charges. I found out that going to vancouver from Ottawa on the Can side was not an issue but on the US side, I had 1 leg that was over 250.

Question: As i am pre-planning each segment of the trip, I have to figure out the elevation impact on range. If I set my range to 200km and drive 100km/hr, worst outside temp about 10C; relatively flat... I think 200km should be fine. What is the absolute worst you ever got going up hill?.

Question 2: the charge up to 80% is like less than 20 min at most supercharger, and the remaining 20% is like another 20 min. I wonder if I should reduce my range to 150?

Last question: Has your Model Y always been charging at the maximum charging rate on superchargers? or does it charge slower after 2-3 fast charge? I am talking about the first 80% here.

Keep posting!!! I read them all!

Thank you

Bernard

I wonder how I could improve mileage and aero dynamics.

The gates are removable ... That could be a test.

Something to cover the wheel wells?

Attachments

• PXL_20210528_180149514.jpg
    PXL_20210528_180149514.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 76
Its range is already well below an ICE SUV, especially on the highway where the ICE has its best range. I'm not sure why it'd be surprising that its towing range would be even more below that.
It wouldn’t be surprising the tow range is about 100 miles ? Jeez. I’m surprised. And that was in summer towing 1000 lbs. in winter it will be 50 miles. Is that surprising? The epa range is 305, that’s not nothing. Sadly the true range is nowhere close to that.

I’m definitely not willing to have to over think tow trips. Bernard i would buy you an F-250 if I had a lot of money. Your post above is painful, why the heck do you want to worry about all that? It would take the fun out of towing. If anything in your Mile long equation to calculate milage goes wrong you are stuck on the side of the road with an expensive car and expensive trailer. That would be a tricky situation to risk having to figure a way out of .. not worth it. Believe me I’m all about finding ways to make things more difficult in the name of fun but this doesn’t sound fun

Last edited:

I don't know. I've always associated trucks and large SUVs with towing, not CUVs like the Model Y. We put a tow hitch on our Honda CRV to attach a bike rack, like most people ;-) But definitely EVs aren't great for long range towing.