Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing 4500lbs Yamaha AR230 ski boat with Model X (371 mile range version) from SFO Bay Area to Tahoe

rajibaji

Mar 14, 2021
cupertino
Towing 4500lbs Yamaha AR230 ski boat with 2021 Model X (371 mile range version) from SFO Bay Area to Tahoe.

Hi, I didn't find this exact information, so I'll post.

I want to tow the following:

AR230 Yamaha ski boat (3000lbs dry weight) + trailer + misc (4500lbs total) from SFO San Jose Bay are to Tahoe.

Just curious if anyone has experience doing this?

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
Towing 4500lbs Yamaha AR230 ski boat with 2021 Model X (371 mile range version) from SFO Bay Area to Tahoe.

Hi, I didn't find this exact information, so I'll post.

I want to tow the following:

AR230 Yamaha ski boat (3000lbs dry weight) + trailer + misc (4500lbs total) from SFO San Jose Bay are to Tahoe.

Just curious if anyone has experience doing this?
You’re gonna need a bigger battery.

You will get far less than half the rated range with the load you are pulling and the elevation. I would wager you’ll make it 100 miles before needing to charge.

rajibaji

Mar 14, 2021
cupertino
You’re gonna need a bigger battery.

You will get far less than half the rated range with the load you are pulling and the elevation. I would wager you’ll make it 100 miles before needing to charge.
I've tried 55mph on flats, I get approx 1.7 to 2.1 miles per Khw (so approx 170 to 190 miles with 20+ miles reserve). There is a supercharger in Placerville and only 60 miles to South Lake Tahoe, I should be good. But will be collecting some good data on this trip.

glide

Jun 6, 2018
USA
I've tried 55mph on flats, I get approx 1.7 to 2.1 miles per Khw (so approx 170 to 190 miles with 20+ miles reserve). There is a supercharger in Placerville and only 60 miles to South Lake Tahoe, I should be good. But will be collecting some good data on this trip.
As you mention, speed is a huge factor on range when towing. If you keep it to 55 mph on the highways that should help a bit.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC