Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing 4500lbs Yamaha AR230 ski boat with Model X (371 mile range version) from SFO Bay Area to Tahoe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Towing 4500lbs Yamaha AR230 ski boat with 2021 Model X (371 mile range version) from SFO Bay Area to Tahoe.

Hi, I didn't find this exact information, so I'll post.

I want to tow the following:

AR230 Yamaha ski boat (3000lbs dry weight) + trailer + misc (4500lbs total) from SFO San Jose Bay are to Tahoe.

Just curious if anyone has experience doing this?

Towing 4500lbs Yamaha AR230 ski boat with 2021 Model X (371 mile range version) from SFO Bay Area to Tahoe.

Hi, I didn't find this exact information, so I'll post.

I want to tow the following:

AR230 Yamaha ski boat (3000lbs dry weight) + trailer + misc (4500lbs total) from SFO San Jose Bay are to Tahoe.

Just curious if anyone has experience doing this?
You’re gonna need a bigger battery.

You will get far less than half the rated range with the load you are pulling and the elevation. I would wager you’ll make it 100 miles before needing to charge.

You’re gonna need a bigger battery.

You will get far less than half the rated range with the load you are pulling and the elevation. I would wager you’ll make it 100 miles before needing to charge.
I've tried 55mph on flats, I get approx 1.7 to 2.1 miles per Khw (so approx 170 to 190 miles with 20+ miles reserve). There is a supercharger in Placerville and only 60 miles to South Lake Tahoe, I should be good. But will be collecting some good data on this trip.

Reactions: Vaillant
I've tried 55mph on flats, I get approx 1.7 to 2.1 miles per Khw (so approx 170 to 190 miles with 20+ miles reserve). There is a supercharger in Placerville and only 60 miles to South Lake Tahoe, I should be good. But will be collecting some good data on this trip.
As you mention, speed is a huge factor on range when towing. If you keep it to 55 mph on the highways that should help a bit.

Hello! Curious if you made your trip from Placerville to South Lake Tahoe? Make it without a problem to next Super Charger in South Lake Tahoe? Also wondering what type of ball hitch did you use to tow your boat? I have used this one with 6" rise for short trips to Lake Folsom to pull a ~4,500 lb Sea Ray Sundeck 200 Boat w/Trailer...been thinking about a trip from El Dorado Hills to South Lake Tahoe. https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45090-T...27-a8b0-712a1d010a83&pd_rd_i=B0007M30BW&psc=1

Hello! Curious if you made your trip from Placerville to South Lake Tahoe? Make it without a problem to next Super Charger in South Lake Tahoe? Also wondering what type of ball hitch did you use to tow your boat? I have used this one with 6" rise for short trips to Lake Folsom to pull a ~4,500 lb Sea Ray Sundeck 200 Boat w/Trailer...been thinking about a trip from El Dorado Hills to South Lake Tahoe. https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45090-T...27-a8b0-712a1d010a83&pd_rd_i=B0007M30BW&psc=1
I would suggest you read the owner's manual regarding the hitch. There are very specific limitations that you need to be aware of

HA, good timing. I going try to make the trip today. Changing to 100% at work right now. Looks like I consume 600-700W on flats at 55mph without the mooring cover. I should have kept this on! DANG!

I'm hoping to make it Placerville and charge to 90%, it's approx 50 miles to the summit.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes.