Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a 13’ Scamp vs 16’ Airstream Basecamp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. The 16' Scamp is 6'8" (80") wide per their specs, current Airstream 22' models come back at 8' wide (96") in my search, while the model X mirror width is 89.4", or 79" sans mirrors. Is your Airstream a much thinner older model?

I am very much a novice at towing anything other than the occasional U-haul (can you tell?), and was wondering whether I would need larger mirrors for a trailer that's effectively the same width as the X. Scamp's backup camera option is $500, and that's one thing we were starting to look into--whether that's better/worse/similar in cost/usefulness to adding towing mirrors to the X when we're taking the trailer. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Ah, no, I'm an idiot. My Sport is an older, thinner model (87.25"), but your Scamp will be even narrower. So disregard my stupidity. To make it fully clear how dumb that was, I took the 6'8" measurement from their website, converted it to inches (80) and then converted that back to 8' in my head somehow. I think I need sleep...

A rear camera is great to have. I installed one in my Airstream. The side mirrors provide some assistance with changing lanes on highways, but knowing whether there's someone on your tail is often impossible even with a narrower camper like your Scamp. You don't want to have to wait for a curve to figure out if there's a cop behind you with the lights on. I purchased a wireless aftermarket camera after having limited success with using a Tesla camera hooked up to the MCU display. Wireless works well, but $500 seems like a decent deal for a factory installed option.

No problem. I'm hoping that the thinner profile would also mean a bit less of an efficiency penalty than I've seen with some others here, but I am steeling myself for a max of 150 miles range (rated is 315ish).

One more question: the X manual says that Autosteer 'may' not work in tow mode. What's the experience of those here? I'm not expecting NoA to function but it'd be nice if basic AP would work during long, slow stretches of interstate towing travel.

Whelp, order placed. Should get our Scamp in about... 18 months.

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: gene and ohmman
Ah, no, I'm an idiot. My Sport is an older, thinner model (87.25"), but your Scamp will be even narrower. So disregard my stupidity. To make it fully clear how dumb that was, I took the 6'8" measurement from their website, converted it to inches (80) and then converted that back to 8' in my head somehow. I think I need sleep...

A rear camera is great to have. I installed one in my Airstream. The side mirrors provide some assistance with changing lanes on highways, but knowing whether there's someone on your tail is often impossible even with a narrower camper like your Scamp. You don't want to have to wait for a curve to figure out if there's a cop behind you with the lights on. I purchased a wireless aftermarket camera after having limited success with using a Tesla camera hooked up to the MCU display. Wireless works well, but $500 seems like a decent deal for a factory installed option.
Definitely not an idiot... but I do wonder why you'd pre-order a Rivian R1T given all of Tesla's advantages. I'm assuming no real risk or obligation of doing so. :)

Can you recommend a good after market rear camera setup for a travel trailer that doesn't already have one?

And is it feasible to add parking sensors to the same trailer?

Definitely not an idiot... but I do wonder why you'd pre-order a Rivian R1T given all of Tesla's advantages. I'm assuming no real risk or obligation of doing so. :)

Can you recommend a good after market rear camera setup for a travel trailer that doesn't already have one?

And is it feasible to add parking sensors to the same trailer?
I purchased an off brand wireless rear camera from Amazon and it works just fine. I don't know that I'd "recommend" it beyond anything else, so maybe someone who spent more time thinking about this can respond.

There are some aftermarket parking sensor packages if interested. I wouldn't suggest trying to integrate them into the Tesla parking sensor setup, though.