Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a Jay Feather trailer + parking it on a hill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y on order, which is scheduled to arrive next month. But now I'm having second thoughts because of its towing capacity. We have Jay Feather EXP Series M-17 C trailer, which has weight well within 3,500 lbs limit at 2,935 lbs. But the hitch weight is 480 lbs (that seems high, but that's what the specs say). Will this be a problem? Another issue is that our trailer is parked on a hill facing upward. So hooking it up and getting out of its spot is often a challenge. We currently use Toyota Highlander for towing. Model Y has less ground clearance than Highlander (I think about 2" difference). So I'm afraid the hitch ball, the hitch, or something else connected would hit the ground once the trailer is connected. Has anyone had this problem?

One solution I thought could be using a hitch raiser like this one. But that adds a bit of length and may not be as good as directly connecting to the car.

In short, I have two part question: (1) can the trailer we have be towed with Model Y? and (2) does anyone have a good solution for low ground clearance or uphill parking situation?

Thank you for reading and helping out. My wife and I are quite stressed out about this because the big reason we are getting Model Y is for towing and if we can't do that, it'd be a huge loss (not just money, but our family's love for camping). And we have may be just a few days to be able to cancel our order if this is a bad idea.

You could add a few hundred pounds behind the rear wheels of the trailer to lighten tongue weight but still be under max trailer weight and keep closer to 10% tongue weight.

As it stands, you’re legally over the safety limit and you’re potentially putting your family in legal or safety risk.

Cruising around town or short distance, minimal risk. Traveling around the country—do not recommend.

Upvote 0