Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a Seadoo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about buying a couple of sea doos this summer. A little concerned about towing them w my p3d. They should weigh about 1500 pounds

does anyone have any experience towing w their m3 or even better towing a boat or jet ski?

Need to get them from Toronto to collingwood and want to make sure I’ll have enough range to get between super chargers

anything else I should be concerned about?

Thinking about buying a couple of sea doos this summer. A little concerned about towing them w my p3d. They should weigh about 1500 pounds

does anyone have any experience towing w their m3 or even better towing a boat or jet ski?

Need to get them from Toronto to collingwood and want to make sure I’ll have enough range to get between super chargers

Please stay away from my lake or I will have to pull out my land to water missile launcher again.

Anything else you should be concerned about?

Presumably you got yourself an electric car, at least in part, to lower your emissions and received government incentives to do so. Sea Doo's and personal watercraft emit something like 10 times the greenhouse and smog producing gases than that of a modern gas car which are subject to much more stringent emissions controls. Plus they tend to leak unburnt fuel into waterways. So using a couple sea doo's for a Summers worth of recreation could negate any efforts to lower your emissions, not just from the direct emissions of burning gas for pleasure, but also from the manufacture of recreational toys like these.

Maybe get yourself a Pakboat instead. Packs down to 35x18x14 inches and should fit fine in the back of your Y. Or put a regular canoe on the roof, which should lower range about as much as pulling jet skis. Better yet, just rent a canoe once you're in Collingwood.

PakCanoes -

Reactions: Biscuitman
Maybe get yourself a Pakboat instead. Packs down to 35x18x14 inches and should fit fine in the back of your Y. Or put a regular canoe on the roof, which should lower range about as much as pulling jet skis. Better yet, just rent a canoe once you're in Collingwood.

PakCanoes -

Or
Try out this: Orca Electric PWC - Taiga

They gave the Tesla Owners Club of Ontario a test drive last July. Awesome machine, no emissions, and much quieter than a Seadoo

Or
Try out this: Orca Electric PWC - Taiga

They gave the Tesla Owners Club of Ontario a test drive last July. Awesome machine, no emissions, and much quieter than a Seadoo
I'd thought of them too after I posted. A good way to support a Canadian startup with some compelling looking machines. They're supposed to be bringing their snowmobiles out west in Feb to demonstrate after doing so in the east the last little while. I'd guess availability to be low for this summer perhaps. They're only just starting to produce the snowmobiles it appears.

Level 2 charging options (3hrs to full) near water are pretty limited according to plugshare, but level 1 could charge it overnight with an extension cord to a dock or trailer. This is going by their FAQ pages with charge info. One could conceivably charge it overnight from the car via an inverter from the 12v socket I suppose. I wonder if they put a high powered USBC on the Taiga, if it could charge overnight from the cars high powered USBC ports?

Last edited:
I towed my race car home from Quebec with a car dolly and I ended up looking at half my efficiency, car was stripped and no engine and transmission so 1500 lbs would be generous. I would count on 1/2 the efficiency you are seeing at present and that's including a reduced speed, towing with the model S was far worse than towing with the roadster.

Reactions: Goodtohave
I towed my race car home from Quebec with a car dolly and I ended up looking at half my efficiency, car was stripped and no engine and transmission so 1500 lbs would be generous. I would count on 1/2 the efficiency you are seeing at present and that's including a reduced speed, towing with the model S was far worse than towing with the roadster.

Thank you. That’s really helpful.

Agreed

I have a chademo adapter I rent from time to time and someone rented it for a trip with a 100d model x towing a snowmobile enclosed trailer in summer and he said it was a nightmare, about 50% less range. Without the chademo he would have never made it, even with it his trip took forever stopping to charge

Hey .. So how did this season went ? were you able to tow it ? also how was the launch ramps as that is my biggest worry as if model 3 ( SR+) slipping back into water ...

Still looking for an answer with backing a Seadoo into the ramp on my SR+ ( RWD)

If anyone got any feedback, kindly advice !
Just so I’m clear; are you asking for advice about how to backup with a trailer attached?

If that is your question, I suggest you search the web and YouTube; there are hundreds of sources with good advice. A trailer is a trailer and a Tesla is little different from other tow vehicles when backing up. One small thing, though it is not specific to Tesla; with a trailer connected, when you shift into Reverse and start to move the rear parking sensors go off and the in-car display tells you to STOP. So you have to ignore that. But I’m sure you’ve already found that out.

Just so I’m clear; are you asking for advice about how to backup with a trailer attached?

If that is your question, I suggest you search the web and YouTube; there are hundreds of sources with good advice. A trailer is a trailer and a Tesla is little different from other tow vehicles when backing up. One small thing, though it is not specific to Tesla; with a trailer connected, when you shift into Reverse and start to move the rear parking sensors go off and the in-car display tells you to STOP. So you have to ignore that. But I’m sure you’ve already found that out.
i think he's more worried about traction when backing up or pulling boat out of the water. An AWD like the LR would be nice for sure, but the biggest issue is no two ramps are the same, like the incline angle, water depth, ramp material (concrete or gravel).