Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing a trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another one you might consider is the Sylvan Go trailer. It has a smaller frontal area.

I'm not sure a matching spare is all that good because there will be a lot more rolling resistance than if you had the correct size for the trailer.

That Sylvan trailer looks kind of cool and it's available for a really nice price from Northern Tool. However, with my wife and two kids it wouldn't be that great.

As for rolling resistance, I don't see it being that big of a drag seeing as the trailer weighs ~1650lbs. Who knows, maybe 19" wheels won't fit in the wheel wells ;)

As for rolling resistance, I don't see it being that big of a drag seeing as the trailer weighs ~1650lbs. Who knows, maybe 19" wheels won't fit in the wheel wells ;)

Perhaps surprisingly, there is more rolling resistance on a free rolling axle then on a drive axle. Using 25% as a common WAG number for total tire rolling resistance at low to moderate speeds, means that the RR split is something like 10% 15%. Adding a second free rolling axles increases the RR by more than you'd first think. So you really want the lowest rolling resistance tire on the trailer for best range.

More to come, including a YouTube video experience

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 450
With all the discussion on Model X towing capability of 5000lbs since X sig registration opened up, what are people's thoughts on the Model S potentially opening up towing capability in the near future? Would the torklift hitch's 2000 lb rating be able to be fully utilized and/or accepted by Tesla without worrying about any warranty or other ill effects?