Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing an Alto F1743 trailer with a Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ecarfan the Alto site says 95 inches on your F1743. Would you be so kind as to verify that for me? Just measured my garage and it is also 95 inches. If the F1743 was 94 or so I would definitely consider it.
It is impossible to measure the trailer height exactly because I can’t precisely measure from the ground to the topmost point of the fan vent cover in the center of the roof. I really can’t say for sure if my F1743 is 94” or less. It might be a bit more. Sorry.

And I have the optional 15” wheels with Michelin passenger car tires that even at max 50psi inflation show quite a bit of sidewall flex. The 13” wheels would be different.

Some people deflate their trailer tires to get it into their garage.

Traveling while towing on the Northern California coast between Point Arena and Ft Bragg will get a lot easier when the Mendocino Supercharger is built. At a Ft Bragg campground with electricity but could not get a site with 50A/240V so am charging at 24A/120V, meaning 5mph.

Averaged 534Wh/mi for the trip from San Mateo to Ft Bragg which is not bad considering some of that was at 60mph on 101.

6661D865-17B1-4385-A784-300F11FBC00F.jpeg

Just throwing our 2 cents in on efficiency. We've towed our A2124 now for about 3000 miles. There was a lot of hills to climb and descend since we started in the Rockies, crossed Utah, Idaho, and Oregon on the way to the coast, then back across the Cascades to central Oregon and down to California. We didn't find flat road (more or less) until we were between The Bay Area and Los Angeles. Anyway -- with that caveat, in all our towing we averaged 520 wh/mile. Excluding all the really short legs (less than 50 miles) to get a real average, we were more like 518 wh/mile. In those not so short legs, the worst we saw was 665 wh/mile and the best was 390 wh/mile. The max was between Detroit, Oregon and Sisters, Oregon. This is about a 1600' overall climb elevation change. The min was between Evanston, WY and Tremonton, UT. That was an overall 2400' descent. We generally go 55 mph unless there is a lot of crosswinds.

I called about ordering one, current wait is about 16 months and $7000 down. Since I need something for COVID, I guess I am going with the Motorhome (MB Sprinter)route for now. I do like how much better the numbers look for this than the Airstream, much lighter and smaller footprint. I am also going for the F17 as it is bigger and it has a full bathroom.

Funny I was at Fort Braggs just last week, I was complaining how I would not make it in the X even without the trailer.

520wh/mile is really good, I do about 390-400 normal driving. I guess this will force me to drive at a much slower pace.

Also you guys have been doing this more than I have. How is the used market on this since there seems to be no listing for them at all. Do they hold up their value well or are they basically junk since it is unknown?

I called about ordering one, current wait is about 16 months and $7000 down. Since I need something for COVID, I guess I am going with the Motorhome (MB Sprinter)route for now. I do like how much better the numbers look for this than the Airstream, much lighter and smaller footprint. I am also going for the F17 as it is bigger and it has a full bathroom.

Funny I was at Fort Braggs just last week, I was complaining how I would not make it in the X even without the trailer.

520wh/mile is really good, I do about 390-400 normal driving. I guess this will force me to drive at a much slower pace.

Also you guys have been doing this more than I have. How is the used market on this since there seems to be no listing for them at all. Do they hold up their value well or are they basically junk since it is unknown?
Interesting. I am on an Alto Facebook group and they said delivery is around 2-3 months.

I was in a similar pickle.

Ended up buying a 24' class C with large slide out.

Great for camping, but horrible to drive, compared to my X.

Deal breaker was wanting a largish dry shower/bathroom.

Absolutely hate it when I fill the 55 gallon gas tank. I get around 10 MPG at 65 MPH.

Wifie likes being able to walk to the back to grab a sandwitch or use the potty.

Kinda feel like a sell-out.

I drove a Mercedes Sprinter Class C this past week. Space was nice, but it was horrible for my wife in the back as my son stole the passenger seat. She said she was bouncing so hard that she would have hit the ceiling had not for the lap belt. Since I can't get this toad for the X, I am going to get a Sprinter van and rough it in a tight space. I don't want to drive those box on wheels, prefer a creeper van instead.

I wonder if things change during this time. Remember the RV industry is flying high now. Everyone is charging closer to sticker for their $hit. I live in the Bay Area, the situation is so bad here. I am either flying out to the midwest to buy a van or Montreal to get this trailer. Even if I have money and agree on the price, I cant even get it because they are not in stock. It's insane

After initially considering towing a trailer with our X 100D and then with a Cybertruck, we decided (at least for now) to also go with a 25' Sprinter Class C - a step backward from our green evolution (two Tesla EVs, electric mower/lawn tools, solar panels/PowerWalls, ...).

We are getting 12-16 MPG, which gives us 250-350 miles of range between fueling stops - and we can drive 65 to 80 MPH; with a trailer, our X would probably have had about 150-160 miles of practical range and also require driving at lower speeds.

While we preferred to avoid purchasing an ICE, we'll wait until there's an RV built ontop of a Cybertruck or Semi chassis - which will provide longer range and be able to pull more weight.

I have a little fold up e-scooter tricycle that fits perfectly in the frunk of my X. Will not need it now, since I got a huge RV. If anyone is interested in it, let me know. Mostly used it to scoot around local areas while Supercharging. Can send more info.

How is the used market on this since there seems to be no listing for them at all. Do they hold up their value well or are they basically junk since it is unknown?
If you are referring to an Alto trailer like I have, the used market is extremely strong. If you can find a used one for sale in the US it won’t be for sale for very long.

I would to respectfully request that this thread stay focused on the topic, which is the Safari Condo Alto trailer, specifically the F1743 model. There are other threads for discussing other trailers. Thank you.

They hold their value very well. A 5 year old trailer looks brand new. People are selling used ones at about what they paid for it. The "new" price goes up every year.

There is a facebook group called Altoistes Marketplace (Facebook Groups) for buying and selling. When I take a glance I see a lot of people asking to buy one but I don't see a lot for sale. They usually do not stay on the used market very long. Typically less than 24 hours (and in reality 24 minutes. You need to act fast).

Normally pickup is in Quebec and that's where we had planned to go -- but then COVID. Because the US/Canada border was closed they shipped our trailer to Durango to a US import/export company "Four Corners RV." We picked up there as have lots of folk who were also originally scheduled to pick up in Quebec. Mike and Ele of Four Corner RV are more than happy to continue the arrangement but it's up to Safari Condo. If/when the borders open back up sales will probably return to Quebec.

On a road trip to Southern California. Stopped in Lompoc for two nights at the River Park campground to see the SpaceX launch at Vandenburg Saturday morning, which was awesome! Now enjoying ocean views and surf sounds at Malibu Beach RV Park which is two miles from the Malibu Supercharger. Unfortunately the new V3 Supercharger site nearby is not yet operational. Not going to charge at my campsite because the hookup is only 30A/120V and the tight site means positioning the trailer such that the Tesla UMC won’t reach the outlet.

EE8785EE-9803-4D0D-83C1-50F3A36E83E2.jpeg

Reactions: Gaige and ohmman
Would you (or anyone else) have details about charging at the camp site store?
I have no information about that but I am doubtful you will be able to plug into anything at the park check-in building. I recommend you start a thread in the California forum and see if you get a response.

I am now living in West Vancouver, BC, Canada. My wife and I are enjoying the campgrounds at Whistler, 70km to the north. Easy drive, no need to stop at the Supercharger in Squamish on the way. Incredible scenery, outstanding hiking. But bring your bear spray. :oops: This is our favorite Whistler campground.

Attachments

• 06C24C4C-CEBD-49D8-A3F7-BFDC3F735096.jpeg
    06C24C4C-CEBD-49D8-A3F7-BFDC3F735096.jpeg
    671.8 KB · Views: 56
  • C594F626-38D7-4D01-9AFB-4ACAEDBDDFD0.jpeg
    C594F626-38D7-4D01-9AFB-4ACAEDBDDFD0.jpeg
    641.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 9407CBDD-A5D0-45F9-839A-3766CCD881D6.jpeg
    9407CBDD-A5D0-45F9-839A-3766CCD881D6.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 14983A03-4A9A-429C-8882-C19D0DD84E60.jpeg
    14983A03-4A9A-429C-8882-C19D0DD84E60.jpeg