Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing an R-Pod RP-193

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure thing! - I’m away for a few days but absolutely will send photos when I get home.

The hitch is a Recurve R-3 and is stupidly easy to setup and use. The trunnion bars lift “on top” of the connectors instead of hanging down via chains like many others.

There’s plenty of YouTube videos about it but here’s one of the shortest (ie less than 10 minute/not monetized) I could find:

Very happy with the hitch so far! Attach chains, drop onto ball, install trunnion bars, attach power cable, adjust sway control (hand tight with long side of Allen wrench, then 1/2 additional turn) and ... done. All of 2-3 minutes to hitch up.
Thank you. I wonder if you would clear something else up for me re the RPOD. It’s going to be a month or so before we can eyeball an RPOD. This has to do with wether mirror extensions are required for the RPOD. How wide is it. It seems to me that although the specs say 8 feet, that actually refers to the wheel track and that the trailer itself is narrower than that.

thanks again.

Reactions: dmurphy
Thank you. I wonder if you would clear something else up for me re the RPOD. It’s going to be a month or so before we can eyeball an RPOD. This has to do with wether mirror extensions are required for the RPOD. How wide is it. It seems to me that although the specs say 8 feet, that actually refers to the wheel track and that the trailer itself is narrower than that.

thanks again.

Well - I wish I had the ability to modify the title because we ended up with a Surveyor 19BHLE instead of the R-Pod. Made in the same factory, but the feature/function of the 19BHLE was more appealing for us.
The wheels on the Surveyor at least are under the body so the “box” really is 88” wide. I’m away so can’t break out the tape measure but — the mattress is a “true” queen so 80” long. Plus about a 4” headboard and then 2” thick walls on each side put us right at 88” - spot on with what Forest River’s specs show.

If I were to guess, r-Pod uses the same box as Surveyor, but with the wheels protrudint 4” on each side.

You can see the Surveyor 19BHLE wheels here. The RP-193 is very similar, but with a regular bed instead of a Murphy bed. For whatever reason, the Surveyor felt much bigger to us than the 193. I’d recommend checking both out before buying - we really almost signed on the 193 sight unseen - glad we didn’t.
F9C9F849-C9FF-478D-A4C2-1F70B2EAFA31.jpeg

Well - I wish I had the ability to modify the title because we ended up with a Surveyor 19BHLE instead of the R-Pod. Made in the same factory, but the feature/function of the 19BHLE was more appealing for us.
The wheels on the Surveyor at least are under the body so the “box” really is 88” wide. I’m away so can’t break out the tape measure but — the mattress is a “true” queen so 80” long. Plus about a 4” headboard and then 2” thick walls on each side put us right at 88” - spot on with what Forest River’s specs show.

If I were to guess, r-Pod uses the same box as Surveyor, but with the wheels protrudint 4” on each side.

You can see the Surveyor 19BHLE wheels here. The RP-193 is very similar, but with a regular bed instead of a Murphy bed. For whatever reason, the Surveyor felt much bigger to us than the 193. I’d recommend checking both out before buying - we really almost signed on the 193 sight unseen - glad we didn’t.
View attachment 650417
Still great info. Thanks. One other question. Do you use mirror extenders. Oh and what brake control are you using?

Still great info. Thanks. One other question. Do you use mirror extenders. Oh and what brake control are you using?

I don’t use mirror extenders. Have no problem seeing down the sides just fine, only directly behind the 19BHLE is an issue. I installed a backup camera on the camper once I got it home, so I’m set for the next outing. (The Surveyor is prewired for a Furrion but there are plenty of knockoffs and adapter plates on Amazon for a fraction of the cost.)

As for the brake controller, I installed a Tekonsha P2. It was a 5 minute install - didn’t need to remove any under dash panels even; the Model X’s harness was tucked up next to the OBD-II port. Was able to grab it and plug in without any issue at all.
The Tekonsha comes with a harness. I just wired it up to the Tesla harness that comes in the hitch bag with some Wago lever connectors. So simple.... super pleased with the Tekonsha.

Really a great setup - I could. not. believe. how steady & stable the X is when towing. Way better than I even hoped for.... and we picked the worst day to drive it home about 160 miles. Cold and rainy. Still drove great!

9EFD9855-1A5D-4B72-9814-140F6AD834CA.jpeg

Your information has been very helpful. We are zeroing in on a trailer but by the time it is loaded it will be at or close max weight and max hitch weight. We are fine with that and we are experienced towers. I’m going to wait to hear a few reviews on the refresh model x before we push the order button but we are pretty sure it will work. Wish the tow rating was just a little higher.

Thanks again.

Your information has been very helpful. We are zeroing in on a trailer but by the time it is loaded it will be at or close max weight and max hitch weight. We are fine with that and we are experienced towers. I’m going to wait to hear a few reviews on the refresh model x before we push the order button but we are pretty sure it will work. Wish the tow rating was just a little higher.

Thanks again.

I hear you. Here’s the thing; if you replace the factory tow bar with the Draw-Tite, it’s rated for 750lbs tongue weight instead of 500. I’m still under 500lb tongue weight but just knowing the bar is better than that makes me feel better knowing there’s a margin. I know the whole *vehicle* isn’t certified for that but I do sleep a little better knowing such.

The X really is spectacular at towing. Range is my only concern ... beyond that, I felt it was a *perfect* complement to the Surveyor. Genuinely towed like a dream. I can’t speak to the refreshed X, but ours is a 2020 Raven and I can’t say enough good about it.

(in the midst of a NJ to Orlando road trip, without the camper. It’s been spectacular as always.)

Please keep us posted on your process - curious what you end up with! And any questions at all, fire away. Happy to talk this stuff all day. :)

I hear you. Here’s the thing; if you replace the factory tow bar with the Draw-Tite, it’s rated for 750lbs tongue weight instead of 500. I’m still under 500lb tongue weight but just knowing the bar is better than that makes me feel better knowing there’s a margin. I know the whole *vehicle* isn’t certified for that but I do sleep a little better knowing such.

The X really is spectacular at towing. Range is my only concern ... beyond that, I felt it was a *perfect* complement to the Surveyor. Genuinely towed like a dream. I can’t speak to the refreshed X, but ours is a 2020 Raven and I can’t say enough good about it.

(in the midst of a NJ to Orlando road trip, without the camper. It’s been spectacular as always.)

Please keep us posted on your process - curious what you end up with! And any questions at all, fire away. Happy to talk this stuff all day. :)
I like the idea of the drawtite. I’ll post back on what we decide. It’s probably a couple months away though.
Cheers.

I like the idea of the drawtite. I’ll post back on what we decide. It’s probably a couple months away though.
Cheers.

Thanks to @ohmman, @JimVandegriff and so many others to whom I’m indebted — I believe the Draw-Tite to be necessary for “real” towing.

The factory hitch on Model X is only rated for a .75” rise above the receiver. It sits about 13” off the ground — our camper’s hitch is at 22” when level. So I saw it as absolutely no choice but to replace with the Draw-Tite. Took me about an hour to change mine out ... really was a pretty easy project, all things considered. Highly recommended!

Thanks to @ohmman, @JimVandegriff and so many others to whom I’m indebted — I believe the Draw-Tite to be necessary for “real” towing.

The factory hitch on Model X is only rated for a .75” rise above the receiver. It sits about 13” off the ground — our camper’s hitch is at 22” when level. So I saw it as absolutely no choice but to replace with the Draw-Tite. Took me about an hour to change mine out ... really was a pretty easy project, all things considered. Highly recommended!
Sounds like the right way to go. Is there a “how to” on YouTube or good instructions somewhere?

Yes indeed — this is the best video I’ve found:

Was really as easy as it looks.

I’m Thanks again. If you wouldn’t mind taking a look at this link. I think this is the route we may go although we still have to see it in person. I would be interested in your take on the weight specs.

I’m Thanks again. If you wouldn’t mind taking a look at this link. I think this is the route we may go although we still have to see it in person. I would be interested in your take on the weight specs.

I wouldn’t have concern with the weight, personally. With the Draw-Tite hitch and some form of anti-sway control, I think it would ride fine. And given its shape, likely (slightly) less drag than my Surveyor, leading to better efficiency.

I’m not the smart guy in the room though - plenty of others here whose opinion I would trust long before mine! They’ve got a ton of experience towing with the X — I’m just getting my feet wet towing with it.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers
I wouldn’t have concern with the weight, personally. With the Draw-Tite hitch and some form of anti-sway control, I think it would ride fine. And given its shape, likely (slightly) less drag than my Surveyor, leading to better efficiency.

I’m not the smart guy in the room though - plenty of others here whose opinion I would trust long before mine! They’ve got a ton of experience towing with the X — I’m just getting my feet wet towing with it.
Appreciate the candid response. One other question. Does the Tesla auto level in trailer mode? We won’t be using a weight distribution system but intend to use a friction sway control. We are experienced at towing so know it’s important to be level. Kind of hoping the Tesla will self level.

How much difference in height is there with the various selectable levels? Low, standard, high etc.

Love it!
That looks a lot like our new KZ Escape E17 Hatch. Ours doesn't have a slide though.
What does yours weigh?

"Book weight" is 3814lb dry and another 991lb cargo. 405lb hitch weight. I haven't hit a CAT scale yet but expect it to be similar-ish.

The floorplan & walkthru are here: Surveyor Legend 19BHLE | Forest River RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

Extremely, extremely happy with it... and the Model X, of course!