TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Towing and range question.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Webeevdrivers, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Active Member

When towing does the estimated range remaining reflect the effect of the extra towed weight and cross section of the trailer being towed?. Eg. Is it dynamic?

Thanks.

2. DCGOO

DCGOO Active Member

The energy graph (big screen) estimate should be reasonably accurate. It bases its estimate on actual consumption. The fuel gauge will not be. It simply indicates how full the tank is. I'd suggest switching the gauge over to "energy" so it shows you % of capacity. Much more useful, especially when towing.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. lynnpt2001

lynnpt2001 Cookie Monster MX & M3

I frequently to a 5000 lb 23 ft boat. Generally it uses 2.5 times the energy on average. This is on the roads that have some up hills and some down hills, 600 - 700 whm on average. The energy graph does seem to be fairly accurate. It does depend however that you continue on the same type of terrain.

• Informative x 2
  4. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

No it’s not accurate at all. Pull up the energy graph. When towing, use chill mode to help with energy conservation. 600-700wh/mi is generally about right but it can go up to 900 wh/mo if you’re not careful or as low as 475wh/mi if you’re really trying to push it.

I personally use a 5mi/avg on the energy graph. It’s a little more stable than instant, but short enough to let me adjust as needed.

• Informative x 1
  5. Webeevdrivers

Thank you all for the info. It sounds like a good close to home tow vehicle for a smaller trailer but not a long haul solution . Local lakes etc.

6. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Partially. I’ve taken my trailers for decent road trips. It just takes some getting used to and careful planning. I’ve done 12-14 hour trips with mine and managed to average about 500wh/mi. It’s not a piece of cake but it’s not that terrible.

7. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

500wh/mi while towing sounds really good. I can use 400+ wh/mi at 75 on the interstate with no trailer. What sort of speed do you do?

8. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I have the details in this post.

And this was on a set of 22” wheels, 20" wheels would've allowed me to get more out of it. For comparison I averaged 415 wh/mi at the time w/o trailer with all else being normal. A larger/heavier trailer impacts these numbers by an additional 10% or so.

Towing has taught me all the tricks to conserve. Knowing what I know now, I could’ve switched off HVAC but didn’t at the time. Now if I needed to, I can get down to about 280-320 wh/mi quite easily without a trailer and still do about 75-85mph and would like to think I could have done that same trip and averaged 50-100wh/mi less. In dire times, I've crunched down to 180-220wh/mi but it is mind numbingly painful to do so.

My current comparison, without any consideration on conservation I average about 375-385 wh/mi on a set of 22" wheels. 30% local/70% highway @ speeds 70-85mph w/ no trailer.

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

As others have noted, the energy graph display does a reasonable job of estimating remaining range but only after you have been driving for awhile.

If you enter a destination in the nav before starting your trip, the display will show an estimated range remaining upon arriving at your destination. If you are towing, that number will not be accurate.

10. ecarfan

I disagree. The X can be a great long range tow vehicle if there are Superchargers available along your route. I have towed my 17 ft trailer from San Francisco to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and back and had no problems.

11. Webeevdrivers

Nice. How often time wise would you say you stopped. Every couple hours etc. Love to see a picture as well.

12. lynnpt2001

lynnpt2001 Cookie Monster MX & M3

One thing that would help would be pull in chargers at all sc. Pain to unhook to charge

• Love x 1
  13. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

If you run the nav before towing that will be wildly inaccurate.
    It does take into account current use so it will figure it out on the go.

14. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Towing consumption will be affected by Wind, Drag, elevation, speed and weight.

X is a remarkable tow vehicle, with tons of torque. A heavy load can easily double your current draw. Your computer will quickly adapt and give you good data, so you will know where you will need to stop to Supercharge.

New Raven has more efficient motors etc, and comes standard with the long range 100 KW battery.

Just like with a ICE car, your consumption will increase with the load and drivng conditions. Difference is that ICE vehicles have much larger fuel tanks.

15. ecarfan

On I40 through Arizona and New Mexico I stopped at every Supercharger. I like stopping every two hours or so to stretch and move about a bit. I don’t like sitting for long periods. You can read more about my trailer towing experiences at
    Towing an Alto F1743 trailer with a Model X and Towing with a Tesla

16. Webeevdrivers

Thanks tor the link. We actually travel in a similar manner. 2 hours is about max. 10 to 20 break and snack. Pee the chihuahua and maybe a little stretching and back on the road.