Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing and range question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When towing does the estimated range remaining reflect the effect of the extra towed weight and cross section of the trailer being towed?. Eg. Is it dynamic?
Thanks.

The energy graph (big screen) estimate should be reasonably accurate. It bases its estimate on actual consumption. The fuel gauge will not be. It simply indicates how full the tank is. I'd suggest switching the gauge over to "energy" so it shows you % of capacity. Much more useful, especially when towing.

When towing does the estimated range remaining reflect the effect of the extra towed weight and cross section of the trailer being towed?. Eg. Is it dynamic?

Thanks.

No it’s not accurate at all. Pull up the energy graph. When towing, use chill mode to help with energy conservation. 600-700wh/mi is generally about right but it can go up to 900 wh/mo if you’re not careful or as low as 475wh/mi if you’re really trying to push it.

I personally use a 5mi/avg on the energy graph. It’s a little more stable than instant, but short enough to let me adjust as needed.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Thank you all for the info. It sounds like a good close to home tow vehicle for a smaller trailer but not a long haul solution . Local lakes etc.

Partially. I’ve taken my trailers for decent road trips. It just takes some getting used to and careful planning. I’ve done 12-14 hour trips with mine and managed to average about 500wh/mi. It’s not a piece of cake but it’s not that terrible.

Partially. I’ve taken my trailers for decent road trips. It just takes some getting used to and careful planning. I’ve done 12-14 hour trips with mine and managed to average about 500wh/mi. It’s not a piece of cake but it’s not that terrible.

500wh/mi while towing sounds really good. I can use 400+ wh/mi at 75 on the interstate with no trailer. What sort of speed do you do?

500wh/mi while towing sounds really good. I can use 400+ wh/mi at 75 on the interstate with no trailer. What sort of speed do you do?

I have the details in this post.

Vehicle: Model X 75D, 237 rated range - 4% degradation w/ 22" OEM wheels and Pirelli's
Trailer: 6.5'w x 10'l x 8'h, V-Nose Cargo Trailer, Single Axle, Empty Weight: 1200lbs

Leg 1: Normal settings and driving, 66 miles, 60 mph average, 653 wh/mi, Air Temp: 82F, Peak Climb 566ft, Highway speeds of 70-80mph
Starting Range & Elevation: 90% @ 110ft
Remaining Range & Elevation: 22% @ 930ft

Leg 2: Range mode and normal driving, 40 miles, 58mph average, 638 wh/mi, Air Temp: 90F, Peak Climb 350ft, Highway speeds of 70-85mph
Starting Range & Elevation: 70% @ 930ft
Remaining Range & Elevation: 41% @ 1060ft

Leg 3: Range mode off, Chill Mode Enabled, 117 miles, 52mph average, 509 wh/mi, trailer loaded - ~2750lbs total, Air Temp: 74F, Peak Climb: 315ft, Highway speeds of 55-65mph
Starting Range & Elevation: 89% @ 865ft
Remaining Range & Elevation: 2% @ 865ft

Leg 4: Range mode off, Chill Mode Enabled, 98 miles, 54mph average, 585 wh/mi, trailer loaded - ~2750lbs total, Air Temp: 65F, Peak Climb: 610ft, Highway speeds of 60-70mph
Starting Range & Elevation: 85% @ 865ft
Remaining Range & Elevation: 12% @ 930ft

And this was on a set of 22” wheels, 20" wheels would've allowed me to get more out of it. For comparison I averaged 415 wh/mi at the time w/o trailer with all else being normal. A larger/heavier trailer impacts these numbers by an additional 10% or so.

Towing has taught me all the tricks to conserve. Knowing what I know now, I could’ve switched off HVAC but didn’t at the time. Now if I needed to, I can get down to about 280-320 wh/mi quite easily without a trailer and still do about 75-85mph and would like to think I could have done that same trip and averaged 50-100wh/mi less. In dire times, I've crunched down to 180-220wh/mi but it is mind numbingly painful to do so.

My current comparison, without any consideration on conservation I average about 375-385 wh/mi on a set of 22" wheels. 30% local/70% highway @ speeds 70-85mph w/ no trailer.

As others have noted, the energy graph display does a reasonable job of estimating remaining range but only after you have been driving for awhile.

If you enter a destination in the nav before starting your trip, the display will show an estimated range remaining upon arriving at your destination. If you are towing, that number will not be accurate.

Thank you all for the info. It sounds like a good close to home tow vehicle for a smaller trailer but not a long haul solution . Local lakes etc.
I disagree. The X can be a great long range tow vehicle if there are Superchargers available along your route. I have towed my 17 ft trailer from San Francisco to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and back and had no problems.

Towing consumption will be affected by Wind, Drag, elevation, speed and weight.

X is a remarkable tow vehicle, with tons of torque. A heavy load can easily double your current draw. Your computer will quickly adapt and give you good data, so you will know where you will need to stop to Supercharge.

New Raven has more efficient motors etc, and comes standard with the long range 100 KW battery.

Just like with a ICE car, your consumption will increase with the load and drivng conditions. Difference is that ICE vehicles have much larger fuel tanks.

I disagree. The X can be a great long range tow vehicle if there are Superchargers available along your route. I have towed my 17 ft trailer from San Francisco to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and back and had no problems.
Nice. How often time wise would you say you stopped. Every couple hours etc. Love to see a picture as well.
On I40 through Arizona and New Mexico I stopped at every Supercharger. I like stopping every two hours or so to stretch and move about a bit. I don’t like sitting for long periods. You can read more about my trailer towing experiences at
Towing an Alto F1743 trailer with a Model X and Towing with a Tesla

On I40 through Arizona and New Mexico I stopped at every Supercharger. I like stopping every two hours or so to stretch and move about a bit. I don’t like sitting for long periods. You can read more about my trailer towing experiences at
Towing an Alto F1743 trailer with a Model X and Towing with a Tesla

Thanks tor the link. We actually travel in a similar manner. 2 hours is about max. 10 to 20 break and snack. Pee the chihuahua and maybe a little stretching and back on the road.