Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing Capacity 5000 lbs, no mention of mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not as good in Physics as some members here, but i'm a little surprised that X is compared to ICE towing range
While it may give us a ballpark where the range is going to be at max towing capacity, it may not be fair comparison due to different drive train efficiency
1. ICE will not be able to put gas back into its tank on deceleration, only heavier brake usage occur. X will have more regen with trailer decelerating
2. ICE is wasting even more gas through automatic transmission when more weight is towed (Torque Converter will have to work harder and lock later). X will use extra KW for additional weight (this is the part where degree in physics would help)
3. Aerodynamics are still better on X, so it may be still more efficient towing. Frontal area is smaller than on ICE creating gradual increase towards the back of the trailer (depending on the trailer of course) cutting through the air

I wonder if Model S owners who tow stuff can give us some data

P.S. How many EPA miles X loses comparing to S?
With that weight difference we could get the ratio of range loss per LB?
Also, not sure how accurate EVTripPlaner is, but you not loosing a lot of rated miles as you increase payload

In general, regeneration is of real benefit only when speed varies substantially, i.e, there's a lot of starting and stopping, or when there's substantial altitude change. At constant speed on a level road, regeneration simply doesn't enter into the picture, and the amount of energy recovered from the initial acceleration to freeway speed from coming to a stop at the end of a long trip is so small compared to the overall energy usage on that trip as to be relatively insignificant. At freeway speeds, say 75 mph, about 30-some-percent of the load on a Tesla comes from rolling resistance, which is proportional to weight, and the rest comes from aerodynamic losses. If a trailer has substantially larger frontal area than an X, it will significantly add to aerodynamic losses. The worst case is probably a very square trailer, or something very non-aerodynamic, such as a boat. It's quite conceivable that the worst case trailer could more than halve the range of an X. A camper trailer like the Bowlus that was discussed on the Model X trailer thread makes a lot of sense in that it's both light and aerodynamic, and should give a noticeable improvement in range compared to a more conventional alternative.

In comparison, internal combustion efficiency generally improves with load (it's why ICE vehicle city mileage is so bad compared to freeway mileage), so doubling the load on an ICE vehicle will not halve the range. In cases where ICE SUVs are seeing their fuel economy halved when towing a trailer, a Model X will have its range more than halved towing the same trailer.

...For those of you more familiar with the battery packs, if one backed into the water could it shock anyone nearby that happened to be in the water? I won't swim near the docks at my marina because I've read those stories of electric shock drowning. I know that's AC power but could the same thing happen with the DC battery pack?

I would think that things are basically sealed, and unlikely to discharge into the water. I think the biggest concern would be damage to the vehicle. I suppose in a worst case scenario, water seeps into the pack itself and causes a short that leads to a fire, but I think the most likely bad outcome is that the vehicle just shuts itself down and becomes stuck.

I think risk of shock being in water is one where electricity is trying to reach ground, and ends up going through you. (Such as if you got struck by lightning with your feet in water, or a multi-killivolt grid distribution line landed in water near you.) If water got in a Model X, I think any possible electrical discharge would just be localized to components within the vehicle. I don't think you would be a risk of being electrocuted. But that is just my opinion.

As far as the battery pack getting wet.......it is a non issue. You would not get electrocuted. If there was high voltage leakage the contactor's would open faster than you could imagin. The worst that would happen is the vehicle would be disabled. Mitsubishi did a test with the Miev prior to its release (on accident) where the vehicle was submerged in a drainage ditch full of water. The car and driver emerged unharmed and fully functional. Based on my Mitsubishi and GM training.......there is nothing to worry about. I thing the battery is exposed to the same if not more water during a drive in monsoon rain than launching a boat.:cool::cool: