Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing Capacity Questions and probably an easy answer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got tired of people complaining and canceling orders based on this "towing" capacity. Look people, the reason it has a towing capacity of only 5,000lbs and not 6, or 7 or 10 is because its not a standard ICE with huge engine block,transmission etc in front of the car. The front of the car makes up for most of the weight of the SUV in an ICE. Now the Teslas have equal weight throughout the car.

Simple physics, if you pull too hard behind the car will tilt up in the front. That's the answer. I just got frustrated that no one brought this up as a simple answer.

Any car designed with a battery pack underneath will never have a huge towing capacity. Unless someone packs all the batteries in the front, then you have it.
And if you do that then you lose safety again. Its just physics that how things work.

I got tired of people complaining and canceling orders based on this "towing" capacity. Look people, the reason it has a towing capacity of only 5,000lbs and not 6, or 7 or 10 is because its not a standard ICE with huge engine block,transmission etc in front of the car. The front of the car makes up for most of the weight of the SUV in an ICE. Now the Teslas have equal weight throughout the car.

Simple physics, if you pull too hard behind the car will tilt up in the front. That's the answer. I just got frustrated that no one brought this up as a simple answer.

Any car designed with a battery pack underneath will never have a huge towing capacity. Unless someone packs all the batteries in the front, then you have it.
And if you do that then you lose safety again. Its just physics that how things work.

I think you're wrong. I don't believe weight distribution is the limiting factor here at all since that can be mitigated by using a weight distribution hitch.

I think if Tesla would design the X to tow more, people would complain about the short range. They just can't win with today's batteries in this field against a V8 polluter. Thermal limitations probably also play into it. The Model S starts to cut back power when pushing it hard on a race track after just a few minutes.

I am happy with 5000 lbs and will even try get get a much lighter and aerodynamic camping trailer to retain adequate range.