Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

towing electrics 13pin to 7

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday (Easter Sunday) I thought it would be nice to load the bikes on the bike rack on my 2022 M3 and go for a ride on a nearby promenade. So for the first time since I bought the car 2 months ago, I fit the towbar (and what a faff that was), and put on the bike rack on. It was at this point I discovered that the bike rack has a 7 pin plug, and the model 3 has a 13 pin socket... Being easter sunday, there was no-way I was just popping out to halfords and buying one so we gave up and went for a walk. Now I want to sort this problem out but is there anything recommended here? With the socket pointing down, I was wondering if there was a right angle adaptor I could use or something to avoid the risk of cables dragging on the road?

I've seen some pics on google for some nice options but i don't know where to buy any of them? Like right angle adaptors, new cover plates that allow the socket and towbar to be in place etc... any suggestions?

PS. I also need to get a new numberplate fitted as I also realised that it's still got my old plate on it...
PPS. why is the m3 towbar options so clearly an afterthought. it's not even cheap! for far less money to audi or BMW, they'd fit a towbar which deploys electrically, rather than have you lieing on your back in the dirt trying to fit it?

This seems like it could be the best option for you. I will need a copy of your logbook and ID as to have a number plate made for you and (from this I will have your address as to come and fit the towbar so you dont get dirty).

Some forward planning will save you having a rant next time. Live and learn ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: shuhockey
7/13 pin adapters are a standard thing and readily available. Eg Amazon as suggested above. The fitting of the bar feels awkward until you’re used to it. Not sure what is meant by “new cover plates “

To be frank I can’t imagine waiting until Easter to discover this stuff! I’m sure new fangled electric auto-presenting tow bars are wonderful … but you already knew you didn’t have one of those….

i use an in-line 13 - 7 pin adaptor. Think a right angled one would make it even more difficult to plug in. I just fit the adaptor to either my bike rack or trailer plug, then attach that to the car using the 13-pin bayonet. There's enough clearance for the cable not to touch the ground. Fitting the removable hitch becomes very straightforward after a few goes, its not that much of a faff.

So yesterday (Easter Sunday) I thought it would be nice to load the bikes on the bike rack on my 2022 M3 and go for a ride on a nearby promenade. So for the first time since I bought the car 2 months ago, I fit the towbar (and what a faff that was), and put on the bike rack on. It was at this point I discovered that the bike rack has a 7 pin plug, and the model 3 has a 13 pin socket... Being easter sunday, there was no-way I was just popping out to halfords and buying one so we gave up and went for a walk. Now I want to sort this problem out but is there anything recommended here? With the socket pointing down, I was wondering if there was a right angle adaptor I could use or something to avoid the risk of cables dragging on the road?

I've seen some pics on google for some nice options but i don't know where to buy any of them? Like right angle adaptors, new cover plates that allow the socket and towbar to be in place etc... any suggestions?

PS. I also need to get a new numberplate fitted as I also realised that it's still got my old plate on it...
PPS. why is the m3 towbar options so clearly an afterthought. it's not even cheap! for far less money to audi or BMW, they'd fit a towbar which deploys electrically, rather than have you lieing on your back in the dirt trying to fit it?

I also found it all a great faff. I now leave the towbar attached. I managed to construct an alternative cover for underneath to keep water out. I have a cable about 40cm on a 13 pin plug permanently inserted underneath leading to a 7pin fixed socket beside the tow bar. No fiddling abound underneath trying to fix adapter to socket. Oh, and have you worked out that lighting boards with LEDs don't work on a Tessla. Really! And yes why could it not have been electronically swinging into place?

When you use an adapter with the model three it does stick out quite low! Which I manage to snap off (Luckily the adaptor only broke!!) going across a rutted car park. That 7-13pin adapter extension looks perfect, didn't even know that existed. I was contemplating doing to rewiring on the thule to change the plug.

This seems like it could be the best option for you. I will need a copy of your logbook and ID as to have a number plate made for you and (from this I will have your address as to come and fit the towbar so you dont get dirty).

Some forward planning will save you having a rant next time. Live and learn ;)

There's a place near me that can do numberplates but thanks, and yes, it's totally my fault for not trying this before :)

That adaptor looks perfectly functional, I was just worried that the cable would start to hang quite close to the ground. I was wondering if someone had made a custom affair for the model 3?

7/13 pin adapters are a standard thing and readily available. Eg Amazon as suggested above. The fitting of the bar feels awkward until you’re used to it. Not sure what is meant by “new cover plates “

To be frank I can’t imagine waiting until Easter to discover this stuff! I’m sure new fangled electric auto-presenting tow bars are wonderful … but you already knew you didn’t have one of those….

by new cover plates, I mean I saw a link like this and was wondering if this kind of thing was more widely available? he's got a cool right angle electrics adaptor and a replacement tow cover and I liked the neatness of it all.

I knew when ordering that it wasn't auto-deploying, but it is very disappointing... considering both the price and how everything else is so high-tech.

i use an in-line 13 - 7 pin adaptor. Think a right angled one would make it even more difficult to plug in. I just fit the adaptor to either my bike rack or trailer plug, then attach that to the car using the 13-pin bayonet. There's enough clearance for the cable not to touch the ground. Fitting the removable hitch becomes very straightforward after a few goes, its not that much of a faff.

I think it's more the having to lie on the ground, leaving an electrical port facing down and having an open panel where water and dirt can ingress that annoys me..

I also found it all a great faff. I now leave the towbar attached. I managed to construct an alternative cover for underneath to keep water out. I have a cable about 40cm on a 13 pin plug permanently inserted underneath leading to a 7pin fixed socket beside the tow bar. No fiddling abound underneath trying to fix adapter to socket. Oh, and have you worked out that lighting boards with LEDs don't work on a Tessla. Really! And yes why could it not have been electronically swinging into place?

Is there room to leave an adaptor plugged in and put the cover back on? didn't look like it...

I've not worked that out no, as I've not managed to attach the electrics to the car yet... now I don't know if mine is LED or not... why would LED lights not work?

When you use an adapter with the model three it does stick out quite low! Which I manage to snap off (Luckily the adaptor only broke!!) going across a rutted car park. That 7-13pin adapter extension looks perfect, didn't even know that existed. I was contemplating doing to rewiring on the thule to change the plug.

That's what worries me...

Found this…
Now just need the cutout cover…

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
Oooh, that’s very nice. I’d like that for when going on longer trips with the trailer. I wonder if it’s available over here…

yeah, I liked it too. I think these things can be 3D printed, I was just wondering if anyone had made it into a product yet :)

Found this…
Now just need the cutout cover…

That angle adaptgor is nice, shame they don't make one that also changes to 7 pin but hey, it's still better than just the bare adaptor pointing down at the ground.

Anyone see an indicator flashing speed issue like this one originally posted in general M3 forum?

Anyone see an indicator flashing speed issue like this one originally posted in general M3 forum?
Not seen that. Could it be an LED related issue? I have seen posts that bizarrely the Model 3 needs to be working with standard bulbs rather than LEDs.

Solved! New 13-pin plug to replace 13 to 7 pin adapter and original 7-pin plug. Clearly there were dodgy connections along the way causing the weird behaviours. £7.99 from Screwfix!
Best price for the exact same unit is from eurocarparts so I found. For those purchasing for model Y, you will need to shave one of the sides in order for it to twist into place.

The manual says the indicators blink faster when there is a connection problem.

That is correct. Also trailer logo on screen will be red not blue if there are connection issues. Blinker issues will not manifest by noise as these will sound normal but the indicators on the car and on screen will blink faster if there is a connection issue or a bulb is out on the trailer. I always test mine before departure.

..Also trailer logo on screen will be red not blue if there are connection issues. Blinker issues will not manifest by noise as these will sound normal but the indicators on the car and on screen will blink faster if there is a connection issue or a bulb is out on the trailer. I always test mine before departure.

Yeah, forgot about the trailer logo, well reminded.

I like to test mine too but I can't see a way of testing the brake lights if I'm on my own, other than wedging a plank between the foot pedal and seat to hold it down. It's not always easy to find something reflective to put behind the trailer so you can see it when you're in the car, so the trailer icon colour is good to know about. Be even better if it blinked red or there was an error message - you'd probably not notice it otherwise, or know it was significant unless you'd read and remembered the relevant section of the manual.