Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing Experience with My New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Towing experience was horrible! I attempted to tow a double enclosed snowmobile trailer (basically a large box 7" wide, 16' long, 7' tall) total weight with 2 snowmobiles 3000lbs. Positive note was the Model Y P towed this weight very easy. My trip to the cottage is 250km (156mi). It was a very cold day in Ontario last weekend -20 Celsius (-4F) but not too windy and clear roads. Left our house with 98% battery, expected to stop twice to Supercharge. I was using almost 800Wh/km. which is more than 3 times usual. Maximum distance I could travel was about 65-75km (40mi). The big challenge for me was that the last portion of the trip required me to travel 137km (85mi) between Superchargers and that was NOT going to happen. Ended up calling a friend to come and pick up the trailer to take it the rest of the way to the cottage. I knew it would be a challenge but did not expect this bad, lesson learned and I will not be towing again.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Towing experience was horrible! I attempted to tow a double enclosed snowmobile trailer (basically a large box 7" wide, 16' long, 7' tall) total weight with 2 snowmobiles 3000lbs. Positive note was the Model Y P towed this weight very easy. My trip to the cottage is 250km (156mi). It was a very cold day in Ontario last weekend -20 Celsius (-4F) but not too windy and clear roads. Left our house with 98% battery, expected to stop twice to Supercharge. I was using almost 800Wh/km. which is more than 3 times usual. Maximum distance I could travel was about 65-75km (40mi). The big challenge for me was that the last portion of the trip required me to travel 137km (85mi) between Superchargers and that was NOT going to happen. Ended up calling a friend to come and pick up the trailer to take it the rest of the way to the cottage. I knew it would be a challenge but did not expect this bad, lesson learned and I will not be towing again.
This is missing some key elements—was there snow on the ground, how fast were you driving? The enclosed trailer, weight, and cooler temps likely what would prevent you from surpassing 120 miles
Comfortably.

800wh per mile should get you the distance but would require 98-100% charge. That last 10% at a super charger take nearly 20-30 minutes.

It sounds like you’re also traveling uphill which eats more juice. I’d stick to slower speeds and see if that helps. I was driving home recently with a trailer and it said I’d make it with 2% remaining. I got home with 7% because I dropped my speed by 10mph (16kmh)

This is missing some key elements—was there snow on the ground, how fast were you driving? The enclosed trailer, weight, and cooler temps likely what would prevent you from surpassing 120 miles
Comfortably.
Hi, the roads were dry and very clear sunny day. I was driving tops 110km/hr (68 mph). Assuming that I had the "perfect storm" situation for the lowest possible battery life.

Hi, the roads were dry and very clear sunny day. I was driving tops 110km/hr (68 mph). Assuming that I had the "perfect storm" situation for the lowest possible battery life.
There’s your problem. 68mph, although, easily pulled, will drain the battery FAST.

Sounds like you could have EASILY made the trip going 55-60mph. Not as “fun” or fast, but will get you there with plenty to spare.

That’s your problem. I always tow at 55mph or the speed limit if lower. I can get 150 miles towing 3700 lb travel trailer on level ground with no headwinds.

You had WAY too much air resistance.

Reactions: DrGriz
Air resistance is by far the largest impact on range, much more than weight. A non-aerodynamic load, even it is very lightweight, will cut the range almost in half at highway speeds, even worse if you have headwinds. Adding a few thousand pounds to that same lightweight load will have negligible difference.

A lightweight, partially-loaded open utility trailer is has huge air resistance. A heavy Airstream trailer has less resistance.

This is quite different than ICE vehicle fuel economy. ICE vehicles cannot recover the energy needed to accelerate, so weight impact fuel economy much more.
I am looking to do some cross country camping and I'm looking at towing a storage trailer, not a camping trailer, sized for a motorcycle.
Anyone tried this?
They are very aerodynamic and light. looking at 15 cubic feet of added space. some brands i'm considering are :
Bushtec Roadstar Trailer new 5K
Heritage Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer Cargo Tow $5000

Anyone find a good replacement receiver cover for the model Y? The OEM one is a PiTA and PoS. So far, nothing around for vins >200,000.
I am awaiting this cool thing. I have a severe right hand permanent injury and there isn’t a chance in hell I can get the cover back on. Ever. So I decided to have fun with it when I’m not towing. Love mountains. Love my Y.

Attachments

• E7A87385-A39A-47DF-B138-89C314ED617A.png
    E7A87385-A39A-47DF-B138-89C314ED617A.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
Reactions: jebinc