TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Towing eye

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Chevrltz71, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Chevrltz71

Chevrltz71 Member

Can one please enlighten me as to why the threads are reversed on the towing eye? I don't see the logical reasoning, like there is on welding tanks, etc.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I would suspect that is to make it harder to use a non-Tesla supplied part and potentially cause damage. No towing eye on mine, so I never realized that. Or perhaps that's some kind of standard. I've never looked at the towing eye on the cars that I've had that had them.

3. Chevrltz71

Chevrltz71 Member

You're probably right, but that still seems a little suspect. I have always been a full size, 3/4 ton pickup driver, so I'm not used to removable eyes at all.

4. Veggen

Veggen Member

I suspect it may have to do with the normal twisting direction of rope to avoid the hook unscrewing as the rope tightens.

5. darrenf

darrenf Member

FWIW, my last car, a VW wagon, had reversed threads on the tow eye as well so I think that's unique to tow eyes, not Teslas.

6. swaltner

swaltner Member

The towing eye on my 2013 Leaf has standard threading (turn clockwise to install)

7. tinpandave

tinpandave Member

so that's what that dam thing is, I found it in the charge cable bag and have no idea where it goes, thinking it goes under the nose peace up front for pulling the car onto a flat bed or maybe a seat belt hold down for a very big person:tongue: