Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing hitch available in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is in Norwegian, but still:
2B5ElCE.jpg

It says it cannot be retrofitted after delivery, cost around 950 USD.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP, KJD and Zoomit
So the tow hitch is....nearly 2 years late, can't be retrofitted on existing cars, can't be added to even new P models, and costs like 5x what aftermarket ones that CAN go on existing cars and the P costs?

This one is even worse than the Model 3 keyfob that fails to solve the one problem anybody actually wanted a fob for... (reliable passive entry)

It's not quite as straight-forward as a key fob though. You have to have substructure points that the socket welds to that can take the strain in the right places on the chassis.

It may well be that they'd have to sell not only the towbar and socket but some extra subframe section that would invalidate your warranty if it wasn't added by Tesla. (Also I'm not sure how happy many regular garages would be welding around high voltage battery packs).

Then there's the legal side of things. Over here at least, you have to have regulatory approval for the car at manufacture to have a towbar on it. So you can't really just add one afterwards.

I expect that some of this will be solved with time as Tesla gets around to doing whatever paperwork is necessary in some countries to have the additional feature added, but I do agree that towbars should've been a thing Tesla sorted out from the off.

At least in Europe, the tow hitch must be part of the car's approval.

I can take the car to the local Norwegian DMV, and they will approve a retrofit and update the cars papers. However they need the paper from Tesla stating the car can tow. This is normal procedure for any modification one wishes to make to any car and the local DMV must check it. The challenge is that Tesla will not issue this paper allowing for a retrofit.....

• Informative
Reactions: GSP