Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing Issue - Owner Absent - Remote login question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
All,
Came across the following unfortunate scene yesterday morning at my local coffee shop charging spot. They were setting up for a block party, and the entire lot was off limits. The owner of the Model 3 was nowhere to be seen. Must have parked it there either very early in the morning, or the night before. The police officer I queried stated that the owner lived about 15 miles away. Getting the car onto the flatbed was a pretty ugly process, it was pretty much being dragged with the wheels locked...

Here is the question: If they were able to contact the owner by phone, the owner could have unlocked the car remotely. If we could then have gotten inside, would it have been possible to then put it into "tow mode" without having a key in hand?

Whats the best way to handle a situation like this? I didn't think of this in time about the remote unlock, I had to get my car out of the way too ;)

Model%203%20Tow_zpsuczvukr2.jpg

I think he means with owner on phone to open car doors, the person at the car could do it from inside the car thru the screen. Of course as also stated the owner, if the car was driveable and presumedly it was, could start car remotely and it could have been driven to a different parking location and owner could have then remotely locked the car and retrieved later. Heck police could have driven car for him although not sure they would have. Assume having his owner info they might have a phone number as well. Really not their job and not sure they would accept the liability.

Can’t imagine what this owner is going to have to deal with now.

We had a similar situation in our town (thankful not involving our car) when a town event was planned. People would come early in a.m. while still dark and park their cars to catch the train or bus. They came back in evening after work to find cars towed. One guy was there as the tow truck came for his car and they wouldn’t let him take it. Police said signs were posted in the morning. Not sure where but unless you drive in and see a sign you might not notice one posted to a pole several cars away especially if dark outside or your rushing to catch train. Some how I think without tow mode activated your in worse position than another car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helmuth
Yes, it releases the electric brakes, they were dragging tires up on roll back. Another reason to sue for improper towing.
I would get their license revoked in a heartbeat.
I had to be towed twice in May. My tow company almost would not touch my car because it is so old it has no place for screw in tow hook.
I had to show them how to put their hooks into the crash bar behind facial.

I unlocked my car with the phone app. I went down to the garage without any key (card, fob or phone). I was able to enter the car. Could not shift into any gear, it asked for a key card tap.

In the service menu, I hit the towing button. Message popped up stating that before winching the car should be put into transport mode. But the transport mode button was grayed out. Said the car needed to be in park with the brake pressed, which it was.

So long story short, no way to move the car or put it into transport mode without having a key in your possession.

Seems like it would be a good idea to give the phone app the ability to allow a brief drive of the car, or at a minimum allow transport mode to be turned on for this case.

I hope the car wasn't damaged in the process.

RT

Last edited: