Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing jet skis to North Lake Tahoe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This week my family took a vacation to Donner Lake in the North Lake Tahoe Area. We took our Model X and towed a pair of jet skis on a double trailer. I was very nervous about the climb up the hill and can report that the X did great. We have a P90D and the available towing power is amazing. When passing, one could easily forget that you have anything behind you. We live in Cupertino and made it to Rocklin supercharger on one charge from home. I set the cruise control to 55 initially and cheated some to 60 mph when my wife protested that the drive was taking FOREVER. We charged in Rocklin and headed up the hill to Donner pass. At the peak this is about a 7300 foot elevation change. We arrived at the Truckee supercharger with 75 miles to spare. Our trailer is about 2000 lbs with both skis and gear. We are a family of two adults and three kids, two cats, and a fully loaded car for a week vacation. I expected to run out of juice before the summit... I was pleasantly surprised. With the trailer and loaded car, we averaged about 550 wh/mile on flat land and 750 wh/mile on the climb up the hill. Hope this helps others making a similar journey. We also have made the trip carrying bikes and skis with a yakima full tilt hitch and ski adapter and was pleased with the performance of this accessory. It is the same as the Tesla branded version on the website, and I am very happy with how it worked. I'm not sure how the trip would go with a 5000 lb boat in tow, but with our two jet skis, it was a breeze.

Thanks for sharing. I have too sea-doo that I want to tow in 2 weeks. I have a 160 Miles run between chargers and I am actually calculating/preparing to know if I try it or not

They are heavy seadoo (the one with suspensions), so my total weight is more around 2300lb

I also have the P90D, with the 20" tires. What wheel do you have ?

Last edited:
Thanks to "Post History", I now know that you have the 20" All-Season (larger than Performance, but should be same range).

Just to help me better approximate:
- your average speed on the flat (where you had 550wh/miles) was 55 mph or 60 mpg?
- your average speed in the mountains (where you had 750wh/miles) ?

Thanks in advance

Thanks - this is a good datapoint for my future trips from SF to Tahoe. Mostly I'm jealous that you have jet-skiing cats though.

This week my family took a vacation to Donner Lake in the North Lake Tahoe Area. We took our Model X and towed a pair of jet skis on a double trailer. I was very nervous about the climb up the hill and can report that the X did great. We have a P90D and the available towing power is amazing. When passing, one could easily forget that you have anything behind you. We live in Cupertino and made it to Rocklin supercharger on one charge from home. I set the cruise control to 55 initially and cheated some to 60 mph when my wife protested that the drive was taking FOREVER. We charged in Rocklin and headed up the hill to Donner pass. At the peak this is about a 7300 foot elevation change. We arrived at the Truckee supercharger with 75 miles to spare. Our trailer is about 2000 lbs with both skis and gear. We are a family of two adults and three kids, two cats, and a fully loaded car for a week vacation. I expected to run out of juice before the summit... I was pleasantly surprised. With the trailer and loaded car, we averaged about 550 wh/mile on flat land and 750 wh/mile on the climb up the hill. Hope this helps others making a similar journey. We also have made the trip carrying bikes and skis with a yakima full tilt hitch and ski adapter and was pleased with the performance of this accessory. It is the same as the Tesla branded version on the website, and I am very happy with how it worked. I'm not sure how the trip would go with a 5000 lb boat in tow, but with our two jet skis, it was a breeze.

• Funny
Reactions: goneskiian
Hey all. I'm weighing all my options on which MX to purchase. I'm driving a 100d loaner right now, and we were instantly sold on it with a trip to Virginia City and back to Chico, so the hunt is on to finding an MX! As far as normal driving range, the 75d seems more than adequate for our needs. With the SC build-out getting denser, and the amount we drive out of our area I find it hard to justify the larger battery..... except we drive up the hill from Chico to Lake Almanor often (Family Cabin) and I would like the option of towing our dual jet skis (2200 lbs), Dual snowmobils (possible future purchase (2200lbs?), and our current Ski boat which is a heavy 4500 lbs. I'm trying to use abetterrouteplanner to get an idea if its even possible to tow my boat up the hill (no chargers in between) . I plugged in 600watts/mile as a reference point from this article, and it shows I would arrive with 21% to our Cabin on the east side of the lake. Does this sound doable?
If so, that would satisfy the hardest condition we would put the MX thru and I can drill down to find the 75d of our future ;)
I've also heard the difference in capacity of the 75 to the 90 is not that great (usable battery of 90 is actually less and 75 is more) so I'm leaning toward a 75.

Chico to Lake Almanor often (Family Cabin) and I would like the option of towing our dual jet skis (2200 lbs), Dual snowmobils (possible future purchase (2200lbs?), and our current Ski boat which is a heavy 4500 lbs.
I estimated if you left at 100% you would get to Lake Almanor with 15% towing the 4500 lb trailer and 500 pounds of people/bags driving a MX75D.

Consumption on the way up would be 742 Wh/mi with an average speed of 46 mi/hr.

YMMV and this is not a proven estimate.

upload_2017-12-20_10-7-48.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Blup85
Does that app (or any of the websites) take into account the weather? While I don't think you will get knocked too much for wind, rain, etc, I DO think the cold (think towing the future snowmobiles)i will take a significant chunk out of your mileage.

I realize it is more money, but like a computer (and storage capacity), always buy the most you can afford.