TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Towing more than 5000lbs?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Mrwatchdawg, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mrwatchdawg

Mrwatchdawg Member

i know the towing capacity on the Model X is 5000 lbs but what if you towed more?

What if i towed around 7000? I wanna trailer my race car around to tracks and events. Was wondering if I could or should I get a hitch installed on the Range Rover

2. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Tow ratings are typically conservative, but as you go over the rating you are putting stresses on the mounting, the hitch, the brakes, the cooling the handling, the suspension, tires, and lots of other components.

Imagine you could pull 7,ooo lbs of a straight and flat road at reasonable speeds, but you, of course, would be pushing all the limits.

If it was me, I'd hitch up the Range Rover.

Just as your race car pushes the limits, additional break downs and stresses on components are expected on the tracked cars than those driven within normal limits.

3. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

Take a look at this thread by @ohmman and factor in how valuable your race car is :(. And this is for a trailer under the 5000-lb. limit: Bosal Hitch Adapter Loosening. He has now switched to a more robust option.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

If you did that you would risk losing whatever you were towing due to the hitch separating from your Tesla and potentially killing people on the road near you.

So that would be a very bad plan.

5. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Worse than that, just about any accident you are involved in while overweight towing will be construed as your fault in civil court. Your insurance will almost never cover your liability since you willfully operated in an unsafe condition. This will ruin your life unless you have many millions of dollars to spare. I'd say if you are in that financial situation, you should spend a bit on getting an appropriate tow vehicle instead.

6. Mrwatchdawg

Mrwatchdawg Member

well that answers the questions, time to get a hitch on the Range Rover

• Like x 2
  7. Mrwatchdawg

Mrwatchdawg Member

actually, good news on the weight that the car actually weighs 4094 lbs. I just need a trailer that is going to weight 900 lbs. I think I should be good.

• Like x 1
  8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

the tesla is the wrong tool for the job you want it to do.

• Disagree x 1
  9. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Legal aspects aside, realize that your range will be cut in half, AND you will need to drive at 55 mph to do even that well on range. Actually your car on an open trailer will likely be a little more aerodynamic than a covered trailer, so you might do a little better...

• Helpful x 1
  10. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Good luck finding a car trailer that light. Even a good aluminum one will weigh close to 1500 pounds. Also, don't you have tools, parts, fuel, or other miscellaneous items as well? I think you are fooling yourself in even considering using the X for this application. You will most likely exceed the tongue rating of the hitch as well.

11. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Even though it's rated to 5000lbs, I would be hesitant to tow right up to the limit.

12. kort677

kort677 Active Member

Mr. Idax, please explain the disagree you made

13. Mrwatchdawg

Mrwatchdawg Member

it was wishful thinking that I will tow the car with the tesla. Looks like I wont be able to do that.

I appreciate everyones help. Dont really have any tools, just need to tow the car there and back. Dont have a true race car, its just an exotic car that would not be convenient to drive it.

• Like x 1
  14. Yinn

Yinn Member

Since it's a race car...simple solution. Subtract weight. You enhance the performance of your track car while fitting into the towing requirements of your support vehicle. Win win.

15. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Please note, that @ohmman's setup included a weight-distribution (WD) system, which is against Tesla recommendations. It's likely that the WD system was significantly responsible for the adapter issue. I have only heard of this issue occurring twice now, both times using a WD product.

• Like x 1
  16. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

The X is a fine tool for the job. It's an extremely capable tow vehicle with caveats. I don't know how far away your events are, but charging can often require unhitching, and as mentioned above, you'll want to slow down depending on distance between charging opportunities.

All of that said, I would not tow close to 5000 lbs with the stock hitch, weight distribution or not. I personally would install the aftermarket Draw-Tite hitch (as I did). You'll have a lot more peace of mind. It also provides a little more flexibility on ball offset, which is tightly limited with the Bosal.

Good luck and keep us informed.

• Informative x 2