Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing more than 5000lbs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i know the towing capacity on the Model X is 5000 lbs but what if you towed more?

What if i towed around 7000? I wanna trailer my race car around to tracks and events. Was wondering if I could or should I get a hitch installed on the Range Rover

Tow ratings are typically conservative, but as you go over the rating you are putting stresses on the mounting, the hitch, the brakes, the cooling the handling, the suspension, tires, and lots of other components.

Imagine you could pull 7,ooo lbs of a straight and flat road at reasonable speeds, but you, of course, would be pushing all the limits.

If it was me, I'd hitch up the Range Rover.

Just as your race car pushes the limits, additional break downs and stresses on components are expected on the tracked cars than those driven within normal limits.

i know the towing capacity on the Model X is 5000 lbs but what if you towed more?

What if i towed around 7000? I wanna trailer my race car around to tracks and events. Was wondering if I could or should I get a hitch installed on the Range Rover

Take a look at this thread by @ohmman and factor in how valuable your race car is :(. And this is for a trailer under the 5000-lb. limit: Bosal Hitch Adapter Loosening. He has now switched to a more robust option.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Worse than that, just about any accident you are involved in while overweight towing will be construed as your fault in civil court. Your insurance will almost never cover your liability since you willfully operated in an unsafe condition. This will ruin your life unless you have many millions of dollars to spare. I'd say if you are in that financial situation, you should spend a bit on getting an appropriate tow vehicle instead.

actually, good news on the weight that the car actually weighs 4094 lbs. I just need a trailer that is going to weight 900 lbs. I think I should be good.
Legal aspects aside, realize that your range will be cut in half, AND you will need to drive at 55 mph to do even that well on range. Actually your car on an open trailer will likely be a little more aerodynamic than a covered trailer, so you might do a little better...

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
actually, good news on the weight that the car actually weighs 4094 lbs. I just need a trailer that is going to weight 900 lbs. I think I should be good.
Good luck finding a car trailer that light. Even a good aluminum one will weigh close to 1500 pounds. Also, don't you have tools, parts, fuel, or other miscellaneous items as well? I think you are fooling yourself in even considering using the X for this application. You will most likely exceed the tongue rating of the hitch as well.

it was wishful thinking that I will tow the car with the tesla. Looks like I wont be able to do that.

I appreciate everyones help. Dont really have any tools, just need to tow the car there and back. Dont have a true race car, its just an exotic car that would not be convenient to drive it.

Reactions: BerTX
Take a look at this thread by @ohmman and factor in how valuable your race car is :(. And this is for a trailer under the 5000-lb. limit: Bosal Hitch Adapter Loosening. He has now switched to a more robust option.
Please note, that @ohmman's setup included a weight-distribution (WD) system, which is against Tesla recommendations. It's likely that the WD system was significantly responsible for the adapter issue. I have only heard of this issue occurring twice now, both times using a WD product.

Reactions: Rossy
The X is a fine tool for the job. It's an extremely capable tow vehicle with caveats. I don't know how far away your events are, but charging can often require unhitching, and as mentioned above, you'll want to slow down depending on distance between charging opportunities.

All of that said, I would not tow close to 5000 lbs with the stock hitch, weight distribution or not. I personally would install the aftermarket Draw-Tite hitch (as I did). You'll have a lot more peace of mind. It also provides a little more flexibility on ball offset, which is tightly limited with the Bosal.

Good luck and keep us informed.

If you tow the max tow capacity of a tow vehicle make sure your trailer brakes are set up REALLY GOOD. And don’t skimp on the brake controller. Speaking of which, does the model X come with a brake controller.

How about a weight distribution hitch. Can a weight distribution hitch be used with the frame of the model X????

If you tow the max tow capacity of a tow vehicle make sure your trailer brakes are set up REALLY GOOD. And don’t skimp on the brake controller. Speaking of which, does the model X come with a brake controller.

How about a weight distribution hitch. Can a weight distribution hitch be used with the frame of the model X????

No doesn’t come with one. But it is ready to have one wired up.

Some have tried a weight distribution hitch, but it doesn’t officially support one.