TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Towing option for Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by EaglesPDX, Jun 8, 2016.

1. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

There's some talk that Model 3 will include a towing option. On the Model X this is a $750 for reinforcing for the hitch and $2,500 for the required air suspension system.

Model X has 5,000 lb towing and that is the break point for most families for boats, campers, trailers. If you can tow 5K# you can capture most of the market. I think we know the AWD and traction of the EV can handle it better than most cars.

The 5K# towing would really make the T3 the family car. Otherwise families would be under pressure to have a second care for the tow vehicle.

What's the best way to lobby Tesla to include the 5K# towing option?

2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

1) Towing capability is in no way a requirement for a "family" vehicle. In my entire childhood my family's cars never towed a single thing, even when we had tow-capable vehicles. The top-selling sedan Toyota Camry has zero official towing capacity, nor do any of the other top 5.

2) I highly doubt the Model 3 will have the power needed to competently tow 5000 pounds. We're talking about a car that's roughly the size of a Honda Civic.

3) The design deadline for the Model 3 is rapidly approaching. You're best bet? Tesla's contact page: Contact | Tesla Motors

You could also try tweeting @elonmusk

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  3. Smokkelaar

Smokkelaar Member

#3 Smokkelaar, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    maybe in America, but in europe it is a different story with the netherlands and sweden.
    Jij houdt er misschien niet van, de rest van Nederland wel
    2,64 % and 2,9% of the people own a caravan.
    and 42% of the people in the netherlands has a car.
    That means every 1 of the 16 cars needs towing capability for a caravan!.
    And there are more things you van tow than only caravans!. also bikes and other stuff like boats and airplanes!.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't think they all need 5000 pounds but they will need a tow-bar for 2500 pounds.

You don't need a big car to tow a lot. Our Renault Clio (4 meters length) is capable of towing 2750 pounds.
    So in europe (and for sure in the netherland and sweden). A tow bar is needed for accepting it as a family car.
    The number 1 reason that electric cars are holding back is that people that can afford such cars, they mostly also have a caravan!.
    now this problem is fixed with the X and the 3, a lot of people are considering buying those cars.

4. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

In Australia almost majority of cars have tow bars

5. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

And in US it is different than @Derek Kessler imagines. I think he may be going by his own experience. 14% of American's own campers. Another 10% own small boats, under 5,000# boat and trailer, to tow. Add kayaks, dirt bikes, sailboats, surfing etc. and for family recreation you are pushing 40%. Musk has said there will be a two option for the T3. And based on frame, drivetrain, AWD, air suspension, the T3 should be able to easily tow 5,000# load. Range would be cut in half but that's true on gasoline vehicles also.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  6. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

There's seems to be some crossover in US between Subaru and Tesla with Subaru being the "other" car for wealthy TS and TX owners. Subaru's tow around 2,700#

• Informative x 1
  7. Topher

Topher Energy Curmudgeon

Elon has already announced that the Model ≡ will have an optional tow bar. I just hope it doesn't require $2500 air shocks.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Thank you kindly

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  8. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I hope not. I may get the towing option but I really only need it twice a year. Put the boat in, take the boat out :)

9. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

It does require the air suspension on TX so probably also for theT3. T3 is lower than TX and air suspension would be needed. I only tow a few times a year but ability to tow makes it worth the $3,200.

10. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

The MS and the MX both have serious rear framing and thus can nicely handle the 5000/500 lb limitation. Assuming the 3 also has similar framing (and that would be assuming a lot!) its vehicle weight (?) might suggest a 3000 lb limit. However I would reduce that to 2500 lb just to make a statement about towing safety in general which can be a very nebulous topic.
    --

11. Zoomit

Zoomit Part 3 Awaiter

Model S does not have towing capability but I agree on your speculation about a 3000 lb limit. That would be the high end for a vehicle this size, at least in the US market. It could be as low as 1500-2000 but I'd guess between 2000-3000 lbs.

It could be higher outside of the US. (The US has lower-skilled drivers and/or higher-skilled lawyers.)

12. EaglesPDX

EaglesPDX Member

Suspension and drivetrain more than weight determine a tow capacity. You see a lot of vehicles tow more than their weight. My Explorer at 4800 was rated at 7000. Vehicles weighing 6,000 are rated at 12,000.

EV are perfect for towing due to the instant full torque aspect of electric motors. The air suspension helps it handle the tongue weight and matching the hitch height. The battery frame with a tow plate (same as TX) provides a solid hitch point.