Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing option for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And in US it is different than @Derek Kessler imagines. I think he may be going by his own experience. 14% of American's own campers. Another 10% own small boats, under 5,000# boat and trailer, to tow. Add kayaks, dirt bikes, sailboats, surfing etc. and for family recreation you are pushing 40%. Musk has said there will be a two option for the T3. And based on frame, drivetrain, AWD, air suspension, the T3 should be able to easily tow 5,000# load. Range would be cut in half but that's true on gasoline vehicles also.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Informative
Reactions: Smokkelaar
maybe in America, but in europe it is a different story with the netherlands and sweden.
Traileren.jpg

I don't think they all need 5000 pounds but they will need a tow-bar for 2500 pounds.

You don't need a big car to tow a lot. Our Renault Clio (4 meters length) is capable of towing 2750 pounds.
So in europe (and for sure in the netherland and sweden). A tow bar is needed for accepting it as a family car.
The number 1 reason that electric cars are holding back is that people that can afford such cars, they mostly also have a caravan!.
now this problem is fixed with the X and the 3, a lot of people are considering buying those cars.

There's seems to be some crossover in US between Subaru and Tesla with Subaru being the "other" car for wealthy TS and TX owners. Subaru's tow around 2,700#

• Informative
Reactions: Smokkelaar
The MS and the MX both have serious rear framing and thus can nicely handle the 5000/500 lb limitation. Assuming the 3 also has similar framing (and that would be assuming a lot!) its vehicle weight (?) might suggest a 3000 lb limit. However I would reduce that to 2500 lb just to make a statement about towing safety in general which can be a very nebulous topic.
--

The MS and the MX both have serious rear framing and thus can nicely handle the 5000/500 lb limitation. Assuming the 3 also has similar framing (and that would be assuming a lot!) its vehicle weight (?) might suggest a 3000 lb limit. However I would reduce that to 2500 lb just to make a statement about towing safety in general which can be a very nebulous topic.
--
Model S does not have towing capability but I agree on your speculation about a 3000 lb limit. That would be the high end for a vehicle this size, at least in the US market. It could be as low as 1500-2000 but I'd guess between 2000-3000 lbs.

It could be higher outside of the US. (The US has lower-skilled drivers and/or higher-skilled lawyers.)

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
--

Suspension and drivetrain more than weight determine a tow capacity. You see a lot of vehicles tow more than their weight. My Explorer at 4800 was rated at 7000. Vehicles weighing 6,000 are rated at 12,000.

EV are perfect for towing due to the instant full torque aspect of electric motors. The air suspension helps it handle the tongue weight and matching the hitch height. The battery frame with a tow plate (same as TX) provides a solid hitch point.

I am deeply intersted in towing a small trailer with my Model 3 (but it's not even close to being a "deal-breaker" for me), so I am ready for the towing option/limits/requirements to be announced. If Tesla would just say, "yes, towing will be available, with weight limits of #### total and ### tongue, but requires the ___ features to be installed as well," then I'll be satisfied. Mind, I hope it doesn't require AWD, because I don't want to wait that long, nor do I need for AWD on my Model 3.

I can pretty much guarantee it will be Class I tow hitch which is rated at max of 2000# and 200# tongue. I just can't see them going with anything higher than that, just doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your input, and I would love it if those were the specs! Now, we just need an official announcement of the specs, and when the hitch receiver will be available in the configurator. ;)

I became interested in this thread when reading about Tesla creates a ‘tiny house’ to feature its energy products and seeing a Model 3 towing their solar-ready 2 tone small house demonstration. So its got to be possible. Looking for more information on the tow package.

It's a Model X towing it.

So far, the only thing we have to go on is Musk's old tweet that there would be an option for a tow hitch on M3. Nothing else has been said since. One person theorized that it might come with AWD, but that's just a theory with no statements from Tesla to back it.

I became interested in this thread when reading about Tesla creates a ‘tiny house’ to feature its energy products and seeing a Model 3 towing their solar-ready 2 tone small house demonstration. So its got to be possible. Looking for more information on the tow package.
Except that is not a Model 3. That is a Model X towing the tiny house. Easiest way to know the difference is look at the door handles and headlights. X door handles for the front and rear doors are next to each other. Model 3 door handles are not and are shaped like hockey sticks.

• Informative
Reactions: Rich966
Dudes, towing, this is awesome!.. er, sorry, proper intro. I'm a 2014 Mdl S 85 owner,30,000mi. air susp,, stereo pkg ,pano roof, with AP1.

Thank you for this post all, I haven't be on the TMC forum in a while, til,..I saw the Airstream Basecamp! She's a Beaut!

My first thought, Can I tow it with the Mdl S?

can i link it here?

Basecamp | Airstream.com

if not, you tube, airstream basecamp, 16 feet length, 2500lb , don't quote me, 3500max.

Re: Mdl III
I placed a deposit in N.Cali. on the day, haven't figured out how I'm going to pay for it yet but..seriously, if the III could tow a Basecamp, dear wife may like!
plan b , how to get the Mdl S to tow it. I really don't want use an Ice to tow this baby, negotiating the supercharger's might be tricky, may have to disconnect huh?.,

This topic i a big topic in Tesla forum in Norway. A lot need towing many times a year. It´s even more important with M3 because of the small trunk opening that reduce flexibility compared to other cars (including MS). You can rent, borrow or have another car for this but many will not go for M3 for this reason.

Reviving this old thread to see if anyone has received recent information from Tesla about whether or not there will be a Tow Package option for the Model 3 or not. The Tesla personnel I have asked about this have, unsurprisingly, no information.

Since the current Model 3’s being produced do not have a removable cover in the bottom center of the rear bumper like every X has, I think it likely that they cannot be fitted with an optional hitch from Tesla at a later date.

My speculation is that if the 3 was going to have a Tow Package option in the future, Tesla would have built the rear bumper from the beginning with a removable bottom center cover piece. It would not make sense to me to have two different rear bumpers, particular in a car that Tesla tried very hard to make as simple to manufacture as possible.

Therefore, my conclusion is that the Model 3 is not going to have a Tow Package option, despite Elon’s April 2016 tweet. I hope that Tesla proves me wrong...