Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing option for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tow manual.png

This is from the manual and certainly implies that "Tesla-approved towing components and accessories" will be available.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
View attachment 287835

This is from the manual and certainly implies that "Tesla-approved towing components and accessories" will be available.
Maybe...maybe not. I can certainly see how it could be interpreted as such but it could also just be a general statement warning that use of the vehicle with aftermarket parts could void the warranty. Doesn't expressly state that towing components are coming in the future. I don't know that I would want to be the lawyer trying to prove that was the intent. LOL!

Dan

Tow Hitch? I cant imagine that a tow hitch would be a "make it or break it" item.

Why is Elon even mentioning that at this point? How about things like color selections or battery options or "things that matter"?

Hmmm, maybe he is appealing to the kids that have "matchbook on steroids" cars.
Seems like they are selling like hotcakes without a tow hitch....... Obviously not a deal breaker.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhrivnak
Lets look at cars in the Model 3's weight class.

These cars are lighter than the Model 3 LR (3838 lbs) -- --->>> Aston Martin DBS V12 (3737 lbs), Audi A4 (3450 lbs), Mercedes C230 (3450 lbs), BMW 3 (3295 lbs - 4050 lbs), Alfa Romero Guilia (3660 lbs), Porsche 911 (3,153 to 3,682 lbs)->> see video here with hitch designs Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3.
Additionally most of these cars in Europe can tow more than they weigh!

Last edited:
These cars are lighter than the Model 3 LR (3838 lbs) -- --->>> Aston Martin DBS V12 (3737 lbs), Audi A4 (3450 lbs), Mercedes C230 (3450 lbs), BMW 3 (3295 lbs - 4050 lbs), Alfa Romero Guilia (3660 lbs), Porsche 911 (3,153 to 3,682 lbs)->> see video here with hitch designs Petition to add tow hitch to Model 3.
Additionally most of these cars in Europe can tow more than they weigh!
What does that have to do with the tea in china?

What about cars in the Model 3's class?

SQUEE!!!!!!

Wonder what the actual capacity limits are. It's rated for 910kg, which if it's a 7% tongue weight basis, would be 64kg tongue weight. If it's a 15% basis, it would be 137kg.
  • Clearly motor power is not an issue.
  • Also, RWD or AWD, so no concerns about lifting on the "drive wheels".
  • Regen does not fade, so brake fade is not an issue.
  • My initial suspicion would be a suspension limit. But 64kg would be way less than the load with three passengers in the back and some gear in the trunk. Even 137kg would be. Then again, trailers hop more, so it might well be a tongue weight limitation.
  • A physical weakness in the mounting point could be possible, but I've seen the mounting point during EcoHitch installation videos, and it looks incredibly sturdy (goes straight into the crash structure). Really doubt this is the limiting factor.
  • A weakness in the physical hitch is possible, although I don't see why they'd go with a weaker hitch than the vehicle can handle.
If I had to guess, I'd guess on the rear suspension being the limiting factor. Hopefully the tongue weight is using a higher basis - 10-15% rather than 7%. It makes such a huge difference - you really want that 10-15% tongue weight for the trailer to handle well. And if it's rated for a higher tongue weight, then if you accidentally exceed the towing capacity but are only loaded with a ~7% tongue weight, then you should be fine so long as you keep your speed down and avoid hard braking scenarios.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoomit
I want to know what the software changes are going to be. Will it be possible to activate Tow mode on our older models with aftermarket packages or will it ONLY work on the units from the factory.

And I still don't get how the X handles towing as far as range goes. Can it predict the charge needed to get to the next Supercharger based on your Wh/mi for the last 30 miles?

-Randy

Will it be possible to activate Tow mode on our older models with aftermarket packages or will it ONLY work on the units from the factory

In a partial answer to your question the Tesla Model 3 order page states that Tesla's tow bar cannot be retrofitted to an already delivered Model 3.

Here is a screenshot from the German order page:

Lars Kr. Lundin on Twitter

(Although I was a day one reservation holder, I opted to order my Model 3 only last week due to indications that the tow bar option was about to arrive. So I got lucky there).