Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing package safety chains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sacramento

2021 Tesla Model Y LR AWD
Mar 13, 2021
Sacramento, CA
I've rented U-Haul trailers multiple times to tow behind my 2021 Model Y with an integrated hitch receiver. It is a pain in the butt to hook the safety chains to the openings on either side of the receiver. Today I bought a couple of stainless steel heavy duty anchor shackles at Home Depot and added a little Loctite thread locker to keep the shackles from coming loose. I expect they'll be MUCH easier to reach when hooking up the chains.

Attachments

• tesla tow shackles 2.jpg
    tesla tow shackles 2.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 1,526
  • tesla tow shackles 1.jpg
    tesla tow shackles 1.jpg
    810.6 KB · Views: 306
I replaced the hooks on the end of my chains with these:

12,000 Lb. Forged Alloy Steel Winch Hook from Harbor Freight. They are about 3.5" long and are easily latched onto the receiver. I replaced the pin and cotter key with a grade 8 bolt and red 271 Loctite. Probably gave away some of that 12,000 pounds, but my bike trailer with my Vespa on it only weighs about 700 pounds. So, I think I'm still ok.​

Tow Hooks.jpg

I replaced the hooks on the end of my chains with these:

12,000 Lb. Forged Alloy Steel Winch Hook from Harbor Freight. They are about 3.5" long and are easily latched onto the receiver. I replaced the pin and cotter key with a grade 8 bolt and red 271 Loctite. Probably gave away some of that 12,000 pounds, but my bike trailer with my Vespa on it only weighs about 700 pounds. So, I think I'm still ok.​

View attachment 728484
I was actually looking at this hook the other night and wondering how well it will work. I own a trailer and normally rent a uhaul or tow the trailer my daughter’s highschool band has. So I was looking for something to make the connection easier.

Ingenious! However, I went to see how it would work on my 2022 Model Y and found two spots to hook my existing hooks on from my trailer. They bracket still looks pretty difficult to access and you really have to look to find it! It is welded to the top of the hitch in the front, near the bumper.