Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing range expectAtion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of acquiring a super lightweight trailer in both open and enclosed format. The open will likely come in at 3750 while enclosed will get close to 5000. Is it safe to tow that close to limit or should I ditch the enclose for the open?
What should my range expectation be? Both will have weight distribution hitch and enclosed has electronic brake while open has surge brakes. Thoughts?

I am in the process of acquiring a super lightweight trailer in both open and enclosed format. The open will likely come in at 3750 while enclosed will get close to 5000. Is it safe to tow that close to limit or should I ditch the enclose for the open?
What should my range expectation be? Both will have weight distribution hitch and enclosed has electronic brake while open has surge brakes. Thoughts?
A dry weight of 5000 lbs is not towable with any model Tesla makes.

Reactions: doghousePVD
This is an old thread , but you can find some useful information -

hope you like charging lol here's some data. approx 2250 vehicle on a featherlight alum trailer. a closed trailer is gonna be worse.

open trailer only:
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 6.27.18 PM.png

open trailer with car 50-55mph:
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 6.27.59 PM.png

over 55mph you'll see a drastic decrease in efficiency. easily 600+

1627090308699.png

The weight I gave is loaded. I have two cars that have the same towing capacity, just trying to make full use of it. I understand range is going to suck, just want to know how sucky. My local tracks are 125 miles away, so I should be good on one charge. I don’t know if I trust my sprinter towing 5000lbs going uphill, it feels dog slow the way it is

Why?
also, don't use the weight distributing hitch

Boy, 3750 or 5000 does not sound super lightweight to me, unless that is the GVWR, and not the actual weight of the trailer. Range expectation of the open depends on what you are hauling. But I would expect around 100 miles tops.

The weight I gave is loaded. I have two cars that have the same towing capacity, just trying to make full use of it. I understand range is going to suck, just want to know how sucky. My local tracks are 125 miles away, so I should be good on one charge. I don’t know if I trust my sprinter towing 5000lbs going uphill, it feels dog slow the way it is

I really doubt you will make it one way. Is there a Supercharger on the way? Remember, you will likely have to unhook the trailer to charge

Why?
Which model X? And is it a flat run or will there be a significant change in elevation? 125mi would be cutting it close.

Do not use the weight distribution hitch because it will potentially interfere with the auto-leveling air suspension.

maybe, maybe not. bring a j1772 adapter in case you can't make it to a SC.

hitch isn't rated for it among other things. other musings about air suspension and the frame

The key metric for your towing is the Wh/mi. If you can keep that number as low as possible while you are driving, you will be able to go further on a charge. Things that will kill your mileage are: jack rabbit starts, quick stops, going fast, hills (obviously the uphill part) along your route. If you stay on the highway (no stopping and starting) and you have a fairly flat route and keep your speed down to 55mph, and you have a 100 kW battery, you might be able to make 100 miles one way with a 5000 GVWR load. On a flat road, the most significant component of range loss is aerodynamics, so speed is a major factor. Weight is number 2. With hills, weight quickly becomes number 1 over aerodynamics.