Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing travel trailer with Model Y

DigiCrazy

Sep 9, 2021
Seattle
I am currently towing Jayco Jay Feather 17-C with a 2006 Highlander Hybrid, which also lists the same towing capacity as MY (3500 for trailer, 350 for hitch), despite the trailer listing 480 as the hitch weight. So either our hitch is really not that heavy or Highlander is just more capable than advertised! From all accounts, MY seems to be more capable than Highlander with much higher torque, dual motor, and true AWD (Highlander does partial or intelligent AWD). Any thoughts?

Regardless of MY (which I have ordered and may cancel) or Highlander, I do intend to reduce the tongue weight by replacing the battery and propane tank with lighter counterparts.

On a different thought, I was wondering if anyone is in Seattle area who I could visit and see their towing setup with MY. I was looking to even rent an MY through Toro just to see, but haven't been able to find one with towing package. I have also been in touch with someone at Tesla in the area, but no luck so far. So yes, if anyone around Seattle is kind enough to give me a "tour" of their towing setup, I would very much appreciate it.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC