Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing travel trailer with Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s a beautiful trailer and setup MYLR. Here’s the Palomino Solaire 147x I spoke about earlier in the thread. We’ve put over 600 miles on this setup already, including a trip over the I90 Cascades pass and back. So far so good.

(In the picture the jack is suspended about an inch over the wood block, which means the full weight of the hitch is being supported by the car, so you can see the effect the trailer has on sagging the back of the car - which in my opinion is very minimal. We don't have a weight distribution system, but do normally use a sway bar that is not installed in this photo.)
View attachment 651098
What sway bar do you use?

Don’t need an adapter, trailer is 7 pin, car is 7 pin. It just doesn’t go in far enough like it bottoms out before it snaps in
there's a single screw in the middle that holds the housing, remove that, and see what the connectors look like. also on the trailer connector, make sure there's no plastic sticking up. looking like a half circle. Also on the trailer side, the slot that aligns, make sure that isn't deformed.

there's a single screw in the middle that holds the housing, remove that, and see what the connectors look like. also on the trailer connector, make sure there's no plastic sticking up. looking like a half circle. Also on the trailer side, the slot that aligns, make sure that isn't deformed.
i don’t see a screw in the middle of this connector on the Y. We took the housing off the plug to remove any issues with moulding but it just wouldn’t go down far enough to seat and click into place. We ordered an extension to hopefully connect and extend the connection since it was a close stretch.
E65462A5-E265-47E4-BF0D-27E22F4FC77A.jpeg
EF107324-6A3C-4A95-830C-304573D8D423.jpeg

The adapter worked to increase the length of the connector to the trailer and plugged into the existing 7 pin connector but if you don’t have a 7 pin wiring installed, I don’t see how the adapter will work for you. My Y came with the 7 pin connector installed, we just couldn’t get our trailer connector to snap into it without the adapter I got from the link.

The adapter worked to increase the length of the connector to the trailer and plugged into the existing 7 pin connector but if you don’t have a 7 pin wiring installed, I don’t see how the adapter will work for you. My Y came with the 7 pin connector installed, we just couldn’t get our trailer connector to snap into it without the adapter I got from the link.
No I do have the existing wiring installed as bought the hitch option with the car. Was swapping out the factory installed hitch for the Drawtight one made for the model Y. It doesn't have an integrated outlet like the factory-installed hitch so was looking for options to mount. I can extend the factory installed connection with the adaptor but will bounce around a bit unless mounted I suspect.

Reactions: Gigabyte
Tesla needs to get ahead of the curve and start designing structural battery integration into flat bed trailer frames.

Typical frame is 2600~7600 lbs, some in excess of 26k lbs.

Since each powerwall 2 is 275 lbs, and only ~14kwh, they need to figure out how to get 10+ units integrated into the frame structure itself, vs "add batteries" to existing travel trailer configurations designed for full holding tanks and only a couple hundred lbs of gear.

Tesla builds the frames. Trailer manufacturers use the frames from the frame up... granted, I dont see Tesla playing well with licensing or sharing the intellectual property on integrating SW easily with a Travel Trailer ecosystem.

Pop some motors and regen on a dual axle = car and trailer regenning downhill. Motorized support going up steep grades = smaller vehicle required.

And the great kicker... allow the car to pull current from the trailer batteries in transit for extended ranges.
Airstream has announced the “eStream” trailer with an 80kWh battery and two motors driving the wheels. See Airstream/Thor introduce the eStream concept

Reactions: Jjrss and Araman0
How is the power throttle controlled to the trailer wheels? Does the trailer sense the pull on the hitch from the car and power itself accordingly? Or is the throttle wired into the car throttle?
Please post questions about the Airstream “eStream” concept vehicle in the thread I linked to in my post just before yours. See Airstream/Thor introduce the eStream concept

My post was an attempt to direct any discussion about the post by @Jjrss to that thread. Thank you.

Reactions: Jjrss
How is the power throttle controlled to the trailer wheels? Does the trailer sense the pull on the hitch from the car and power itself accordingly? Or is the throttle wired into the car throttle?
I would imagine it senses being pulled and adds boost. There are also potentially electronics in the tongue itself that engages coasting/regen as well as electric brakes if enough compression occurs (non-electric hydraulic trailer brakes work in this manner)

Reactions: Araman0
I would imagine it senses being pulled and adds boost. There are also potentially electronics in the tongue itself that engages coasting/regen as well as electric brakes if enough compression occurs (non-electric hydraulic trailer brakes work in this manner)
that's exactly how it works... Another company already made a trailer just like this several years ago. It basically enabled being able to tow the trailer with a car that wasn't designed to tow it. (At least that other company I mentioned). They advertised it as being towable with any vehicle that has a 300 pound towing capacity. (Not sure what the tongue weight was on that trailer tho, but I specifically remember it said you could tow it with most any sedan). The issue tho, is if you run the batteries too low, you are basically dead in the water, becuase when the batteries are low, the trailer is not towable by said vehicle anymore.

that's exactly how it works... Another company already made a trailer just like this several years ago. It basically enabled being able to tow the trailer with a car that wasn't designed to tow it. (At least that other company I mentioned). They advertised it as being towable with any vehicle that has a 300 pound towing capacity. (Not sure what the tongue weight was on that trailer tho, but I specifically remember it said you could tow it with most any sedan). The issue tho, is if you run the batteries too low, you are basically dead in the water, becuase when the batteries are low, the trailer is not towable by said vehicle anymore.
If your wheel motors can drive assist/self propel they can also level detect/adjust which offsets the tongue weight, making it almost negligible... until of course your battery dies. Hydrogen Fuel cell "could" exponentially increase the range however.

Now for a few of the specs. Dry weight right about 1000 lbs. tongue weight 90. This is the Tag and not the Tag XL so the box is only 5 feet wide giving super views to the back from the side mirrors without any extensions. We picked it up in Texas and after spending a few days on the coast headed home. Here’s our consumption figures after getting home. Lifetime you can see I’m averaging 334 Wh/ml. This is with me often running 77/78 on the highway. Pulling the trailer 855 miles I averaged 492 Wh/ml. Lots of this was around 65 mph. Running about 60 mph I could average close to 400 Wh/ml. The “Since Last Charge” was at 70 to 72 mph. The picture above was taken at a level 2 charger. The Supercharger in Perry, OK was down and made our return trip with the trailer impossible without the addition level 2 stops. This added about 4 hours to our trip home.

Weight wise I’m guessing we had an additional 600 lbs in the car including us. The trailer probably had about 250 lbs additional over dry weight. Of course, these are just guesses. I’ll try and run it all over the scale next time we’re loaded.

72C0E7AA-36FB-4F81-9E37-2D5D11BA0E0F.jpeg

Last edited:
We got a new Bambi 16 coming home in 2 weeks. Interestingly, they are going to deliver it as they don't want to connect it at the dealer due to liability reasons. They can't discuss Weight Distribution hitches for Tesla's anymore (We have a Y), This is in the SF Bay Area. But they are adding lithium and moving the batteries to under the bed to reduce tongue weight, They told me that they have done pretty many now as you might imagine out here.

But is anyone using Weight Distribution hitches? Am concerned most about sway control. Seems like my 3 options are: 1) Get a full WD hitch 2) get a friction sway bar or 3) just tow it.

With all the potential unhooking for charging, wanted to see if there were some that were easier to hook/unhook based on actual experience vs just me watching YouTube videos :)

Thanks to everyone sharing in this thread, it’s been very helpful. After looking for awhile we purchased a used Little Guy Tag teardrop trailer this last week. View attachment 769599

I have a question and haven't read all 13 pages of this thread, but this photo at least partially answers my question.

I was wondering how you can charge a Tesla while it's hooked up to a trailer? In this case there is room to park along side a charger. But can this be done at a Supercharger station? It seems to me you'd have to disconnect the trailer so you can back the car in to charge.

Would it be easier to Supercharge with a trailer if Tesla had put the charging port in front of the car?