Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Towing - Weight Distribution Hitch compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I read this...
That said, the dynamics of the system still will result in a 500 lb tongue weight bouncing down and inducing higher torques than the 562.5 lb-ft number.
I thought this and then read what you wrote and realized that, once again, you were way ahead of me.
I believe this can explain why I approached a form of failure on my hitch adapter
It certainly is a concern. I hope that Tesla appreciates your input and takes it seriously.

I have a friend at COTA and he ran into the Tesla mobile showroom. I had him take some close up photos of their hitch setup. Some confirmations:
  1. They're using the stock Bosal adapter
  2. They're not using weight distribution
  3. It appears they're within the 3/4" offset restrictions of the stock Bosal hitch
IMG_0670.jpeg

IMG_0667.jpeg

Hmm...interesting. I wonder what the weight is of the rig they are towing? Looks substantial. Does anyone know what Airstream model it is, and the length?
It is a custom outfitted Airstream 22' Sport (same as mine and @JimVandegriff's). Bay Area Airstream made a few of them for Tesla. I believe the rep said three were made. Since it's gutted and outfitted solely with the design studio gear, I would guess that it's quite a bit lighter than my trailer. Rough guess would be in the 2400-2800lb range. Very, very rough... :)

The 22 Sport comes with a manual tongue jack, believe it or not. I added an electric one myself to facilitate faster hitch/unhitch procedures.

I also had to use the Curt LED adapter.
Oh really, I didn't know that. Our dealer must upgrade them on-site. I've gone through three adapters this summer. Granted, my luck as of late is not great, but I expected them to last more than a trip or two.

In case that you want to tow a trailer with a standard mounted hitch, your trailer’s weight will be transferred to the rear axle of your vehicle. You should use weight distributing bars so that you can come together and improve the hitch system. You can see Weight Distribution Hitch system here.

Not on an OEM Tesla receiver, it is not built or rated for a WD setup.

Reactions: ohmman
I know I'm late to this party, but as I read this thread, it seems the consensus is NOT to use a WD hitch, but use the Bosal. I am planning on towing a Condo Safari 2124 trailer.
I just re-read this thread and that is not my impression. If you are towing a trailer that weighs 50% or more of the tow vehicle you should use a WD hitch. One can even make a case for using a WD hitch on lighter weight trailers.

The weight of the Alto A2124 is shown at 2,556 lbs at Alto – Lightweight Travel Trailers | Safari Condo . I assume that is dry weight. With a full water tank, kitchen stuff, food, clothes, etc., it will be several hundred pounds more and now you are likely at more than 50% or more of the weight of your Model X. A WD hitch would be advisable. But the Bosal that comes with the X is not a WD hitch. @ohmman switched to a DrawTite WD hitch and seems to be quite satisfied with it.

My Alto F1743 has a dry weight of 1,753 lbs. I estimate when fully loaded it weighs no more than 2,200 lbs. I have been using the Bosal hitch for over 10,000 miles of towing in the nearly two years I have owned my trailer. I have never felt unsafe when towing including in crosswinds, though I have not been in severe (50+) crosswinds.

I know I'm late to this party, but as I read this thread, it seems the consensus is NOT to use a WD hitch, but use the Bosal. I am planning on towing a Condo Safari 2124 trailer.

We have been towing a trailer with similar specs (dry weight 2500lbs, GVWR 3500lbs). After ~15000 miles, without a WD hitch, we've seen no loosening of the Bosal receiver and have had no issues with towing. We keep the Bosal in 100% of the time, whether towing or not.

If you need to use a WD hitch you can't use the Bosal (according to this video).
Bosal Hitch Adapter Loosening

Weigh Safe has introduced a WD hitch. See link below. I used their hitch and appreciate its quality and built in scale to tow our 2020 AS Bambi 22FB. Been quite helpful in ensuring I don’t go over the tongue weight limit.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiT2KLnqYbpAhXYlXIEHU9hAvIQtwIwAnoECAEQAQ&url=https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/true-tow-weight-distribution-hitch/&usg=AOvVaw3PVQVbJQyehonAvLDwRSEI

What’s unique about it is their tool to calculate the right setting to distribute the weight. Today, I do it ‘manually’ with the help of Haul Gauge and place cargo around my X and Bambi to balance things out. However, it’s tedious and there is still sway I’m not dealing with. I’m interested by this product, though it does weigh 143 lbs.

I’ve been reading a lot on this and I’m encouraged by the fact that from what I gather, the weight of the hitch should be added to the cargo weight of the two vehicle versus the tongue weight, on which I’m close to the limit on. I’m also encouraged by the fact that @ohmman and @JimVandegriff have been towing with a WD hitch and have not had to my knowledge related issues (suspension-wise or structural) on their X (beyond the one with the Bosal hitch, which wasn’t minor!).

Anyone has thoughts on this? Thoughts on the X’s tolerance to WD with its air suspension?

P.S.: I have installed a Draw Tite hitch.

Weigh Safe has introduced a WD hitch. See link below. I used their hitch and appreciate its quality and built in scale to tow our 2020 AS Bambi 22FB. Been quite helpful in ensuring I don’t go over the tongue weight limit.

https://www.weigh-safe.com/product/true-tow-weight-distribution-hitch/&usg=AOvVaw3PVQVbJQyehonAvLDwRSEI

What’s unique about it is their tool to calculate the right setting to distribute the weight. Today, I do it ‘manually’ with the help of Haul Gauge and place cargo around my X and Bambi to balance things out. However, it’s tedious and there is still sway I’m not dealing with. I’m interested by this product, though it does weigh 143 lbs.

I’ve been reading a lot on this and I’m encouraged by the fact that from what I gather, the weight of the hitch should be added to the cargo weight of the two vehicle versus the tongue weight, on which I’m close to the limit on. I’m also encouraged by the fact that @ohmman and @JimVandegriff have been towing with a WD hitch and have not had to my knowledge related issues (suspension-wise or structural) on their X (beyond the one with the Bosal hitch, which wasn’t minor!).

Anyone has thoughts on this? Thoughts on the X’s tolerance to WD with its air suspension?

P.S.: I have installed a Draw Tite hitch.
This is a really neat product. @ecarfan has a Weigh Safe ball mount and has reported good success with it. The idea that you can calculate distributed tongue weight is pretty useful, especially if you're concerned about being close to the limit on your hitch. I would be interested in the dynamic loads during driving, however - an electronic companion app or something like that would be pretty neat.

This is a really neat product. @ecarfan has a Weigh Safe ball mount and has reported good success with it. The idea that you can calculate distributed tongue weight is pretty useful, especially if you're concerned about being close to the limit on your hitch. I would be interested in the dynamic loads during driving, however - an electronic companion app or something like that would be pretty neat.

Still no issues with your X, suspension or structural, after a few years of using a WD hitch?

Still no issues with your X, suspension or structural, after a few years of using a WD hitch?
Nope. No trouble at all. I'll say that my WD hitch barely has to distribute, though, so the real stress is going over bumps and uneven roads, not typical driving. I pull the bars off before driving to the campsite, and before driving up my gravel road. Still - the car is doing great!

Nope. No trouble at all. I'll say that my WD hitch barely has to distribute, though, so the real stress is going over bumps and uneven roads, not typical driving. I pull the bars off before driving to the campsite, and before driving up my gravel road. Still - the car is doing great!

That is good to hear. I think I will bite the bullet and drop my ball-only towing and go with this hitch. It is 143 pounds of added weight at the hitch but I will choose to believe the weight distribution will work its magic (which Weigh Safe confirmed it would). I shall report back once tested (which first requires parks and campgrounds to reopen in these parts!).

Reactions: ohmman